Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

so happy! Marriage Registration

My wife and I were married here in the USA and we want our marriage to be registered in Thailand. The process of getting the marriage certificate verified seems very convoluted. Has anyone gone through this? As far as I can figure, you have to contact an office of the individual state where you were married, then some federal government office, and finally the Thai embassy. Would it be easier to just get married again in Thailand? Any thoughts?
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Marriage Registration

Interesting question ... I can only tell you my experience ... We had a traditional Christian wedding in our church in Chonburi .... Went on honeymoon .... Came back ... It was then Christmas and New Year. So sometime after that we wanted to register our wedding ... Its a while ago now ... So excuse me if I'm not 100% certain ... But I know I had to get a freedom to marry certificate (That's another story) But we took the required documents to our local office in Chonburi ... No proof of us getting married I hasten to add ... Anyway the girl in the office said it would take about 6 months !!! Not sure why it would take that long ... She told my wife that it was a slow process ? Anyway ... We drove to Pattaya ... Went to the office there ... Gave in the required documents .... 10 minutes later ... Had our marriage certificate. As I get told many times .... Anything is possible here ... My wife's sister had a big Buddhist wedding 3 years ago ... And still not registered the marriage !!! Not sure I have answered your question ? But we never showed any proof of our wedding ceremony .... Just took along the required documents .. Wife's ID .. Freedom to marry ..etc.

Thanks

Visionchaser45. I do not believe you are allowed to 'legally marry' twice. Re-affirming vows, is totally different. I think your best bet is to enquire with the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs about registering your marriage, although, in my experience your US marriage certificate is recognised worldwide including Thailand.

Thanks

Of the dozen or so Thai married couples I know, none of them are registered. I am beginning to think that farang are the only ones who do this! Is this for visa purposes?

Thanks

You think caucasian foreigners(farangs) are the only ones to do this? Sorry, only joking. I know what you mean.

I live in Thailand and know that most Thai couples who are marrying, and there are assets involved, register their marriage by "officially marrying" at their local amphur's office. The village ceremony is not a legal marriage. Many, however, especially the country folk, do not choose this option, whether for cost saving, or lack of knowledge of the law, I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 847 Posts

It has been a very long time since Mr. X and I registered our U.S. marriage in Thailand so of course I don't know if my experience is applicable.

We simply took our U.S. marriage certificate to the Ampur where Mr. X filled out a paper or two in Thai and we received a beautiful Thai marriage certificate. That was it. I hope your experience goes as smoothly.

Thanks

We tried taking our marriage certificate to the Amphur, but it needed to be translated into Thai. They also said it needed to be 'authenticated.' It is the authentication process that is convoluted and expensive. As I stated above, you have to contact a state office, a federal office, and the Thai embassy to get the document certifying the marriage 'authenticated.' See http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/notary_authentication.html for the details of this process.

I was thinking it would be easier to just take my divorce papers to get translated, affidavit of freedom to marry, and register at Amphur. I don't think there is any way they would know we are already married and the process seems much easier.

We are doing this in advance of my retiring to Thailand with my wife. It is my understanding that the income restrictions are lower for foreigners married to a Thai national.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

Hi visionchaser, I think would be not a good thing to marry again in Thailand as it is illegal, you have to get a "Freedom to Marry"-Certificate from your Home Country - and as you are already married there I doubt that you will get it.

Even if you manage to get it somehow it's still illegal and problems may arise later when somebody might find out as you think about retiring in Thailand.

The only safe and legal way is how you described yourself above and I suggest you get through this procedure even if it might take some time and money.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by visionchaser45 View Post

We are doing this in advance of my retiring to Thailand with my wife. It is my understanding that the income restrictions are lower for foreigners married to a Thai national.
    Well good luck with whatever route you decide to take ... I think you can get some good advice on here regarding retirement visa ... Or Married to a Thai National visa ... I know the cheaper option is the married to a Thai National ... 400.000 baht in the bank ... But a lot more paperwork ... And other stuff like home visits to contend with ... But I'm sure you'll find the right one to suit you ... Living in Thailand is great ... I've never had a day where I thought different.

Thanks

Well, I highly doubt the O/P is the first foreigner who got married to a Thai in the US and wants the marriage to be recognized in Thailand.

I'd suggest sending an email to the ACS (American Citizens Services) of the US Embassy here in Bangkok and ask them. They've never steered me wrong with their advice, and include links to information which you might find of interest.

The ACS part of the US Embassy website here in Bangkok is:
    ACS Bangkok
    and their email is;
    acsbkk@state.gov

Good Luck. . ..

Thread Information