Thanks

blushing Travel to Koh Tao

Hello! I'm taking my wife to Thailand for our five year wedding anniversary. We're starting out in Bangkok and then going down to Koh Tao for 4-5 days. We would like to fly/ferry to the island and so far I'm getting conflicting information. I'd rather fly most of the way rather than take a bus or train. What is the most cost effective way to fly/ferry there? Someone told me I could fly into Chumphon. Is this closer/cheaper than Ko Samui? This same person also told me that you can buy one ticket that includes the ferry. That would also make my life easier if this is so. What airline would do this? Sorry about the random questions but I thank you for any help anyone can provide!

And now, an emoticon since they are just sitting there:

Thanks

Re: Travel to Koh Tao

is there an airport in Chumphon?? I'm not convinced.
    I would take a bus to chumphon and then a ferry over. easiest to keep it simple. alternatively, fly to Samui (horribly expensive monopoly operated route) and take a ferry.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    I would take a bus to chumphon and then a ferry over. easiest to keep it simple. alternatively, fly to Samui (horribly expensive monopoly operated route) and take a ferry.
    Not heard of an airport at Chumphon, although there may well be. Ferry sounds your best bet. Flying to Samui is a joke ... An absolute rip off. But of course ... Alternative ways are so much slower ... And of course on holiday ... Do you want to be spending a lot of time on a bus and ferry ?

Thanks

It's a while since I've been to Ko Tao, but then you could fly from Bangkok to Surat Thani and get a ferry from Don Sak on the other side of the city. I recall the port was a fair way from the airport but not a bad journey, but it was long journey on the ferry to Ko Tao.
    Last edited by Devlin; 15-03-12 at 11:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,304 Times in 824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    Yes there is, airport code CJM. But it doesn't operate commercial flights...

David

Thanks

thanks David, sounds like a usefl little airport :-)
    ferries from the Surat Thani city pier to Ko Tao take about 7 hours (overnight, sleeper boat, very basic). the ones from Don Sak, I have no idea, but it is not much closer either. depending on the season, there must be speedboats as well - googling should help here. I think the company is caalleed "Lomphrayah" or "Lomprayah", something like that.

Thread Information