Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Wearing red in Bangkok

I didn't know wearing red or jackfruit color will meet the trouble in Thailand,anyway I'm Sean looks close to Thai or Philippin, Indonesia...etc which are the same race of people in South east Asia. I don't want to get bitten up because just wearing any color that sponsored the political at Thailand, I think people shouldn't think like that,because it's look like the caste in the society that people are devided, I think because of their mindset and political pride.
    I was noticed that people in the north are spoken different dialect from the people in the center of Thailand,surely if you come from different part in Thailand are try to speak things that might offended them may be you'll get trouble, Well sometime I acted like a bat when people catches my accent was not clear, I response " I'm not Thai" or I said I'm " Mexican"...
    Last edited by Mahindrasarath; 01-04-12 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post

Personally, as a forum member with a family member killed in the demonstrations, I wouldn't be offended.

Thanks

There are two ways to wire in a motor. One way, if there is a problem, no mater how unlikely, you can not stop the motor with the emergency stop switch. Another way, the motor will never start unless the stop switch is fixed and working.
    Which way do you think is the industry standard?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    I showed this question to a couple of Thai friends, their reaction was "he thinks too much."
    David
    OFF TOPIC:
    I totally HATE when Thais give that answer and always reply back with; "Thinking too much is better than not thinking at all." (Sometimes I add, "what do you think?" after it too).

Thais usually offer out that oh-so lame answer for questions from foreigners which Thais A) don't know the answer to, or B) just plain won't take the time to reason out because.

To a person they seem to live by that phrase because in all my time here I've never met a single Thai who I could ever accuse of "thinking too much". Be it tenured professors at Thai uni's right down the line to the street seller on my Soi. It seems to be one of the universal "thai-isms" which every demographic of Thai embraces 110%.

I think that it should be TAT's new "catch phrase" in their marketing campaign for tourism;
    Thailand; don't think too much"

BACK ON TOPIC:
    Again, to answer the O/P's query, wear what ever color shirt that "floats your boat". .

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

djaidee (02-04-12), PeaBrain (02-04-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 917 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tod-Daniels View Post
    I totally HATE when Thais give that answer and always reply back with; "Thinking too much is better than not thinking at all." (Sometimes I add, "what do you think?" after it too).

Thais usually offer out that oh-so lame answer for questions from foreigners which Thais A) don't know the answer to, or B) just plain won't take the time to reason out because.
    LOL I have to agree with you here. Sometimes I find it frustrating because the situation calls for precisely "thinking too much", as it were. But you get a cop out instead, which leads you to a blank wall. Not only that, you may even appear to be blowing things out of proportion.

I am not sure if this is a "culture of avoidance". That is, avoiding to expose oneself to having to say “No, I don’t know the answer” and thus may lead to loss of face. Or avoidance of confrontation. "Confrontation" not only in the sense of being in adversarial footing with somebody else, but also in confronting one's own thoughts and feelings. This may entail going beneath the surface, which could be very unsettling for some, even if they have the faculties to engage in it. Hence, to avoid all that discomfort it is more convenient for them to tell the other person, " Don't think too much".

To a person they seem to live by that phrase because in all my time here I've never met a single Thai who I could ever accuse of "thinking too much". Be it tenured professors at Thai uni's right down the line to the street seller on my Soi. It seems to be one of the universal "thai-isms" which every demographic of Thai embraces 110%.
    Yes, I have met a few Thais who "think too much"! --both in real life and in this site. Incidentally, they were all educated abroad and so I am not sure if this is a product of acculturation.
    Last edited by Marie; 02-04-12 at 07:29 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

djaidee (02-04-12), PeaBrain (02-04-12)

Thanks

I have encountered that attitude many times when asking for Directions in Bangkok - Thais will never admit that they don't know, they would rather send you in the wrong Direction than admitting they don't know the way.

Even happened with Taxi-Drivers many times - at the start telling you they know how to get there and on the way stopping and asking 10 or more times some Locals where it is.
    Took double the time to get there but surely you have to pay the whole amount on the Taxi-Meter, no Discount because of the Nescience of the Driver.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

9. The Following User Says Thank You to djaidee For This Useful Post:

Marie (03-04-12)

Thread Information