Thanks

Satellite TV and Thai Channels

In Thailand you can have UBC/True Visions. It's not cheap and it's not great. Has all the Thai channels plus western channels like discovery and a load of sport channels with dual audio, usually Thai or English. Good for me as I like sport and I can watch it all, especially English Premier League(EPL) football. When I am in Thailand I often watch with Thai language to accommodate my company.

In the UK we have Sky Digital, it's probably one of the best satellite providers, it is pro dominantly in English. Quite a lot of Asian channels, mostly middle eastern and Indian. We don't get all the EPL football as they (the EPL and FA) believe it would have a negative effect on attendance at the games. But we don't have a single Thai channel.

If you want Thai channels, it's probably best to go to one of the dootv websites that do offer an amazing service, TV Live and on demand with Movies. You could like me point a satellite at Hotbird, one of the biggest media satellites, at 13 degrees east. You get 2 Thai channels free, Thai Global Network which is OK, magazine shows, news and entertainment. The other is DMC, can't say I've watched it much, a buddhist channel. I don't really enjoy religious TV of any kind though DMC has meditation shows too. Both are pretty low video quality for a big HD screen.

I have a motorised satellite dish that picks up about 20 satellites and as many providers covering most of Europe and beyond. Was great for picking up EPL games that are not broadcast in the UK. They recently changed the rules in Europe so that's getting harder now.

These other satellites in Europe have large footprints that give blanket coverage across country borders so as long as you have the right equipment you can decrypt encrypted channels either by access cards or less honest means.

Thai TV is broadcast from Thaicom 5 at 78.5 degrees east. It has a small footprint covering Thailand and not much further. No chance of it being received here without some serious equipment, it's below the horizon too.

But knowing that European or middle eastern satellites cover much wider areas I was wondering what can be received in Thailand?

I would like to have a similar setup at my House in Chaiyaphum. Though it's in a valley I hope I'd be able to receive a similar amount as I can here in the UK.

Unfortunately my house in Thailand, a traditional wood structure house has 2 ugly dishes, a luminous yellow/green one on one side and a bright red on the other. Both point at Thaicom 5. Installed at different times for different TV providers. The red True Visions one was forced upon us as the contractor installing it was so scared his boss would see that he didn't put it up and I can't do it myself. This is the same for Sky here in the UK.

So when I go back I'm going to remove both dishes and attach a larger motorised dish to the water tower behind the house, out of sight. I know what I can buy in the local town and I will bring a special receiver to do the magic.

Has anyone had any experience with this in Thailand and more importantly is it worth it?

I would look at the satellite footprint maps but here I receive things I shouldn't and don't receive things I should.

I should also add that it's not illegal in Europe though the providers don't like it we have European law that allows member countries to sell services to other member country's citizens. This may not be the same in SE Asia. I doubt the autorities have the time or resources to enforce laws that may prohibit it. Still good to know the laws though.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuba64 For This Useful Post:

TheSurgeon (10-04-12)

Thanks

Re: Satellite TV and Thai Channels

Hi cuba64
    your well above most people knowledge on these things already, i think the better way would be to get super fast broadband if its available at you thai home,

As many more thai's out here now have Tablets that they are watching TV and downloaded stuff on now, seems to be moving a lot quicker here than back home, maybe the prices as everywhere i look i see Samsung brand at the lowest end every one is on the internet on the move,

Such a change for when i first come here and all the girls had the cheapest Nokia phone!!!!! Times are changing quick here.
    Most people i know who have the thai sat say its expensive rubbish, apart from the foot ball fans.
    cheers ian

Thanks

Thank you cuba64. I have been into FTA for many years I have a 10' BUD for c band and a 4' dish for ku band and many set top boxes and much software.
    Ian has a good point most people are watching internet movies today. I think the satellite and set top box software is to much work and not user friendly for most peolpe and they want quick and easy but they don't realize internet tv and movie are nowhere near the resolution of hd satellite.
    Thank you for taking time to write post I enjoyed it have a good day everyone!

Thanks

I understand that Internet TV, downloaded media and streaming may be the future of TV, especially Pay TV. My house has no phone line and no mobile network at the moment. The problem with watching over the Internet is the sport. It's usually on illegal streams and pretty poor quality regardless of Internet speed.

I remember a holiday in Phuket about 6 years ago, I stayed with a friend who was receiving TV from South Africa. I know Hong Kong has a lot of sport and I'm sure Malaysia, Singapore, china etc. have too.

If anyone is interested in this kind of thing, I sugesst you look in to a dreambox or Vu+ satellite receiver. They can do some amazing things. My Dreambox 800HD (Chinese Copy) receives 5000+ channels and with a decent Internet connection can decrypt them too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuba64 For This Useful Post:

ian71 (11-04-12)

Thanks

Hi I'm loveing in nahhom phonom area and have found several lots of free to air Chanel's on several sats ie 91.5 c and 113c but they keep coming and going .WHat I'm looking for is goal tv as next week WEstham v blackpool on from wembly
    Also on 100.5e they were testing the 3don a feed does anyone know if that's still running About my set up I've 8. Dished online from a 3'2solid on 100.5 3meter mesh on 113e. 2.4 on 91.5E then the rest are 2meter mesh and solids. Like every one else I'm looking for that very dish dish but not easy to find IDE like 5meter solid and a 6meter mesh many times I've looked at the dish on the ambassitop hotle in ban am pur which is very big as no lnb on it so there for not being used and wondered if I could buy it I think it's 8or 10meters made by smart

Thanks

Hello cuba64.
    I'm a fanatic satellite DVB-S2 user.
    -First advise i want to give to you: choose a Enigma2 satellite receiver/mediacanter. (like VU+ duo, Clarketech et9000/et9100, Dreambox). But be sure it runs on Enigma2.
    Enigma2 is like a Linux media/dvb/record application, the tuner runs on a Linux kernel. So you got all the freedom to do with your tuner whatever you like.
    Other tuners without enigma2 are closed source, so the factory decide what is possible.
    -Don't use CI+ or HD+ !!! This is very important, because those techniques are only for limiting your dvb experience(no recording/timeshift and so on)
    -Depending on the width of satellite positions (max 40degrees) you want to use, get a wavefrontier t90 with twin lnb's for every satellite position you want to use. A motorized dish has a delay when you zap, because the dish has to move.
    -Be sure the enigma2 tuner has a twintuner. together with twin lnb's you can record 7 view at same time from any signal you receive independently.

To get more information about enigma2 software and their tuners, check one of the many image builders out their. I advice Openpli (not because it's Dutch, but because they have some members in Thailand and very good forum support & feedback, and their images support many enigma2 tuners.)

Be sure you inform yourself good in positioning the wavefrontier dish & lnb's.

Here my Thai wife watch TGN on Hotbird 13.0E sattelite (she's not interested in DMC), but because a dish cannot look over the horizon(yes our earth is round) most Thai programs are watched over internet with payed account to see the Thai tv as video streams, and her notebook is connected to plasma tv here (vga connection & sp/dif to amplifier)

Oh by the way, you have no internet? Did you know you can get internet over satellite link? it's not very cheap, and the ping is a bit high, but it's acceptable.
    Last edited by Jeroensky; 21-07-12 at 08:38 PM.

Thanks

I am also interested in getting some helps from someone who got truevisions at the moment.
    I got a large setup of sky UK via streaming and may be there are something we can work with in exchange..
    Please PM me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samtam View Post
    I am also interested in getting some helps from someone who got truevisions at the moment.
    I got a large setup of sky UK via streaming and may be there are something we can work with in exchange..
    Please PM me
    What is your location.
    Because, if you live in the UK, you need a extremely high (non existing) building to look over the horizon to have a line of sight with the Thaicom satellite(s) at 78.5E to receive it's signals.
    That's the reason why internet tv is so successful. No line of sight to satellite necessary. Here we watch mydootv(not for free, but you can share costs with others who watch on different times then you).

Thanks

Here some Thai related satellite channel info:
    Search result KingofSat: Thai language on European satellites. (Hotbird 13.0E + Intelsat55.5W) correction: TGN radio is also on 13.0E.

Official Thaicom website, (user of satellites Thaicom4 @ 119.5E + Thaicom5 & Thaicom6 @ 78.5E)

Use dishpointer, to find out if you're capable of pointing dish in line of sight(no obstacles) to Thaicom satellite positions 78.5E and 119.5E

Example, here in Amsterdam NL from my house 78.5E is maybe possible when i use a big dish (over long distance no obstacle), but 119.5E is impossible because of the earth shape(round) impossible to look through the earth.
    Receiving 13.0E is very easy, and 55.5W also when no obstacle in line of sight. But it depends on the geographical location, that's why the website dishpointer is so useful.
    Last edited by Jeroensky; 10-08-12 at 07:38 PM.

Thread Information