Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Help !!! Do I translate it correctly?

To damuskok I can only say, if the Message is really meant for him why should somebody use such hard understandable Thai-Chat-Style if he knows damuskok can't speak Thai.

The other thing is that I translated all above mentioned sentences and what they are about I doubt very much that they are send to you and meant for you because they deal with something completely else - 2 Thai persons Chatting etc. and not a Farang involved who can't speak Thai.

Anyway if you can't communicate in a Language you both understand whats the use of communicating together anyway???

If it's so important for you why not tell the person to let it translate by a friend who can speak English or use good Thai Sentence Structure so that maybe a Translating Tool could be of some help - there are so many possibilities than rather asking here and let us think you are spying what I still do.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

2. The Following User Says Thank You to djaidee For This Useful Post:

Marie (10-04-12)

Thanks

SLIGHTLY OFF-TOPIC
    To highlight the problem between "real Thai" and "chat-speak-thai" here is a short excerpt from an article someone provided about the topic and the various ways people morph the way Thai is written in chat and on the internet as a whole.

The article lists several examples which showed different changes in typing. Some are really hard to understand, but this one isn't all too bad to get IF you can read "real Thai" already;
    ˹¨ ͧҡª˹
    This translates into 'real Thai' as;
    ˹͹ ͧҡ˹

Anyway, sorry this was off-topic, I just wanted to show you how much Thai can vary between "real Thai" and "chat-speak-thai". Quite honestly, some chat-speak" I've observed is nearly indecipherable except by the people who use it frequently.

Being old, I don't have the need to really know "chat-speak-thai". I mostly study it as a hobby (to see if I can decode it) and to watch the changes the Thai youth of today is making to the language.

Anyway, sorry I couldn't be more help to the O/P. I wish them good luck in their endeavors. .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

djaidee (11-04-12)

Thanks

Hi Tod,

do you happen to have a Link to the whole mentioned Article - would be very interesting as I like to Study "Thai-Chat-Style" myself

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by damuskok View Post
    but actually i tried to chat with a exchange student who totally cannot speak english at all.
    with all due respect... i can't bring myself to buy it...
    an exchange student speaking (or LITERALLY, typing!!) in this manner to a non thai??!

i have yet to have a thai friend use this word (֧ merng) with me..not even my closest..
    but i've seen them use it amongst themselves..

as time passes by...being a non thai with progressive learning..i could then slowly comprehend why the immense reluctance so..

Thanks

Well, I hate to disagree with the poster known as "alvinkhoo" but the Thai youth of today regularly refer to themselves and to each other online with & ԧ (the two most common chat-speak spellings of & ֧).

Look at ANY Thai only social networking forum, it's in nearly every post on every page.

These terms are used for extremely close friends in the same socioeconomic circles. Perhaps your Thai friends aren't really as "friendly" as you believe them to be with you. ..

P/S: "djaidee" I sent you a P/M with that article's link in it. If you want to post it go ahead. ..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tod-Daniels For This Useful Post:

djaidee (11-04-12)

Thanks

does any thai knows that u are non thai and still talks (and types) to you using & ֧..?

Thanks

There might be many who are comfortable with using & ֧, but still there are thai (young and old) who don't use & ֧ even among their closest friends.

By the way, hello alvinkhoo =P

Thanks

Amongst Thai friends it might be quite popular to use & ֧ but I doubt that a Thai and a Farang, who know each other and the Thai knowing that the Farang can speak Thai, would use it when communicating, maybe only in a teasing way but not in a normal Conversation.

Thanks

Even a Thai friend who likes to speak a bit "street" with me (she says my textbook style Thai is so formal it makes her uncomfortable) would not use ֧ with me. Words like that are only for between two Thai people who know each other very well or when people are being deliberately insulting.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thanks

For beginner Thai speakers with Thai friends: if pom/ dichan and khun aren't warm enough, pee and nong are probably the best replacement words. You can use pee (older) and nong (younger) for both I and you, as is appropriate for the particular person you are speaking with.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thread Information