Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,050 Posts

Travelling Tips- How to Ease Discomforts in Long Flights

I know many of our members are seasoned flyers and so I want to solicit some tips on how to ease the discomforts experienced in long hauls. In a few weeks I will have one. You can consider me a terrible flyer- I cannot sleep well on the plane no matter how tired I am. And I also suffer from jet lag, which makes me like a vegetable after my arrival. But what I consider most distressing is having to experience earache during take off and landing. My earsdrums seem to burst! The last one I had made me somewhat deaf for 2 days because I tavelled with a bad cold.

And yet I still love to travel!

Any suggestions on how to avoid those problems and other discomforts?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,659 Posts

Re: Travelling Tips- How to Ease Discomforts in Long flights

I take it you have read this

and this

and this for a more "organic" approach

Try sucking a boiled sweet on take of and landing-time was when airline stewards came around with a basket of them prior to take off and landing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Marie (10-04-12)

Thanks

Business class.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Marie (10-04-12)

Thanks

Hi

Practice at home. like I do

On sundays during football season I will spend all day sitting in the same chair watching a small screen for hrs.
    only stopping to ask my wife to bring me food and drinks. and occasionaly getting up to use toilet.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khonrai For This Useful Post:

fileeep (10-04-12), Marie (10-04-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,037 Posts

Sorry Marie, I'm just here to complain.

I, too, cannot rest properly on a plane. It's two minutes out and twenty minutes awake, all night long. Melatonin doesn't work for me, and allergy medicine makes my heart jump and thump. Same with wine. I carry a book but I can't read ALL night long. The air in the cabin makes my eyes dry and itchy. And those seats? I feel like I'm caged in a pet carrier. And now I keep hearing about deep vein thrombosis. Like I need THAT to worry about!

sigh . . . . . . .

The good news is that I arrive chock full of adrenalin and rarin' to go. No jet lag until I get back home.

Sorry I can't help, but I do think Curt has the best idea. Business Class. Or better yet, Private Jet!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 456 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by khonrai View Post
    Hi

Practice at home. like I do

On sundays during football season I will spend all day sitting in the same chair watching a small screen for hrs.
    only stopping to ask my wife to bring me food and drinks. and occasionaly getting up to use toilet.
    Khonrai, your dedication is amazing..well done.

I think Curt has the right ideaBusiness class

But as I travel mostly cattle class, I find getting up very early the morning of the flight along with the right amount of red wine with the inflight meal and then topped off with a few gin and tonics doesnt cure the problem but after a while you dont seem to care too much.hic!

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Business class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    I do think Curt has the best idea. Business Class. Or better yet, Private Jet!
    Quote Originally Posted by fileeep View Post
    I think Curt has the right idea…Business class…
    Splendid idea! I'd love to forward this suggestion to my office which is paying for my trip!

Thanks

Re: Travelling Tips- How to Ease Discomforts in Long Flights

Just get two cup of wine, and then sleep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Sorry Marie, I'm just here to complain.

I, too, cannot rest properly on a plane. It's two minutes out and twenty minutes awake, all night long. Melatonin doesn't work for me, and allergy medicine makes my heart jump and thump. Same with wine. I carry a book but I can't read ALL night long. The air in the cabin makes my eyes dry and itchy. And those seats? I feel like I'm caged in a pet carrier. And now I keep hearing about deep vein thrombosis. Like I needo THAT to worry about!

sigh . . . . . . .

The good news is that I arrive chock full of adrenalin and rarin' to go. No jet lag until I get back home.

Sorry I can't help, but I do think Curt has the best idea. Business Class. Or better yet, Private Jet!
    Learn how to make concentrations or meditation as Napoleon Ponapart. He could sleep easily as he wish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post

Try sucking a boiled sweet on take of and landing-time when airline stewards came around with a basket of them prior to take off and landing.
    So the jaws will be active and the ear tubes remain open, right? Will try it.

Lavender is a great remedy for jet lag. Place a few drops on your pillow as you're about to fall asleep. You can also use an eye mask that has a lavender scent. Some of them are even stuffed with dried lavender flowers. Just place it over your eyes when you're in bed.

Rosemary Essential Oil is stimulating...used during daylight hours to help keep you alert and prevent you from falling asleep. You can place a few drops of the essential oil on a tissue and sniff throughout the day. You may also want to purchase or make a lavender body oil or lotion and put it on after your morning shower.

Green tea helps promote sleep and relaxation because of the L-theanine content which is an amino acid.
    Never heard of the above before and they seem easy to follow.

Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
    I always do. I avoid wearing high-heeled shoes, not only for reason of comfort but also bearing in mind that if an emergency occurs I can run faster with flat shoes.

By the way, I have noticed that stewardesses also change to a more comfy attire and low heels after serving the last meal and as they prepare to sleep.

Thread Information