Thanks
    Thanked 1,706 Times in 958 Posts

Hanging out by the beach boosts health

Hanging out by the beach may boost your health
    AFP RelaxAFP Relax – Fri, Apr 20, 2012 7:37 PM PHT

Researchers claim that being near the ocean is good for body and mind

If you’re hankering for a seaside holiday, you’ve got good reason. Perhaps not surprisingly, researchers claim that visiting the ocean -- rain or shine -- makes you feel good.

According to recent research from the European Centre for Environment and Human Health in Truro, Cornwall, even a leisurely stroll along the beach (ice cream optional) is enough to perk up a bad mood and boost emotional health.

The two-year study, announced Thursday, of over 2,750 participants found that hanging out near the seaside, regardless of sun or clouds, is better for emotional and physical health than a stroll in a park, although walks in any natural environment did enhance feelings of enjoyment, calmness, and refreshment.

Some scientists are also convinced that the ocean's feel-good effect is due to the turbulence created by breaking waves, which alters the physical structure of the air and water and releases charged ions into the atmosphere. Some say environments filled with negatively charged ions (such as the ocean, or even snowy mountains or near waterfalls) can boost your mood by triggering endorphins and serotonin, or "feel-good" hormones, and increasing blood flow and oxygen in the body.

Even if you're landlocked (or the holiday is in the too-distant future), there are other natural ways to boost well-being. While there isn't much science to back up the claims, air ionizers, sold in some mainstream department stores, promise to deliver a similar mood-enhancing effect - as well as reducing allergens and purifying air.

Numerous studies support meditation, good sleep, having a pet, and taking long walks as having a positive effect on your health and happiness. Also, a rattling good laugh with friends may help you feel better, thanks to opiate-like chemicals that flood the brain, according to a recent British study.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Susana (24-04-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 894 Posts

Re: Hanging out by the beach boosts health

For several years I survived 50 - 70 hr work weeks (depending on the season) by walking the beach nearly every morning or late night. I still enjoy going to the beach and walking along, seeing the kids play, listening to the waves, and being open to just whatever.

I also enjoy my walks on a country road, looking at the mountains, cows, and horses of my neighbors.

I think in addition to Marie's suggestion of an air ionizer (which I've yet to try) a sound machine or cd with nature sounds helps to get through tedious days or sleepless nights.

And of course, yoga.

Rest well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (24-04-12)

Thread Information