Thanks

Gor Gai Information please

I am a single mother of two, looking to move to Thailand (teaching job), is is viable for me to live and work there as a single mother (from south africa) What is the quality of life like? Will there be schooling for my 9 year old?

Thanks

Re: Information please

My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

its in German, cant understand?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,705 Times in 958 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chantell View Post
    I am a single mother of two, looking to move to Thailand (teaching job), is it viable for me to live and work there as a single mother (from south africa) What is the quality of life like? Will there be schooling for my 9 year old?
    Welcome to this site!

I think it is better that you get a more realistic scenario from the start. First of all, may I know your qualifications? I ask this because while teaching is the most common job landed by foreigners, it doesn't come in a silver platter. Employers usually hire candidates with appropriate qualifications to avoid problems in processing of visas, among other things. And without formal employment papers visa processing could be nightmarish. Bachelors degree is required in most schools.

About the pay scale , the average that foreign teachers get is about 30,000 Baht + a month. That could be augmented by undertaking extra teaching load or tutorial assignments-if there are opportunities for them. But of course that would mean eating up your time for rest and other activities.

However, in international schools the salary can be much higher--probably triple of that abovementioned pay scale. These schools usually require masters degree and relevant work experience.

Food, transport, and housing are comparatively not too expensive in Thailand. If you manage to get employed in international schools you have better chances of coping financially. If not, I am afraid it will be quite difficult to make both ends meet with a 30,000+ Baht a month income with two kids to feed, house, clothe, educate, etc.

I am sure other members will give additional info too.
    Last edited by Marie; 25-04-12 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 893 Posts

This is a good website for teachers: www.ajarn.com Here you will find articles and information as well as employment listings.

Thread Information