Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Getting married in Thailand

I am Canadian and my gf and I plan to get married in Thailand in June. Just wonder what is the process and what documents are needed?

We plan to do the engagement and then sign in June, and few months down the road to do the marriage celebration (so that people don't think that we are in rush to get married because she is pregnant, etc, whereas we are in rush to start the sponsoship procedure, which will take months).

I read somewhere that I will need the In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad from Canada, but I guess it will be delivered in English, so do I need to get it translated in Thai?

Also, I will be there for 10 days only; do we have to obtain marriage certificate and is there some wait period or some other procedures that take time?

Thanks in advance !!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Getting married in Thailand

Hi ohliuw ... Have a question before I can give you any advice ... Is your girlfriend a Thai National ?

Thanks

All the documents you require are listed on this website. It also lists how long each step takes a number of recommended translation services in Bangkok.
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...ang=eng&view=d

If your tilac is Thai, the documents she requires are of course different. Most probably her ID card and family book called "something baan" -> I'm sure somebody better than me will pipe up with the correct name of this document.

Once you have all the documents it shouldn't take more than an hour at the local amphur.

Good luck
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoistman View Post
    Hi ohliuw ... Have a question before I can give you any advice ... Is your girlfriend a Thai National ?
    yes, she is a Thai.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks

As mentioned by Jerome ... You can get plenty of details on the web. Couple of pointers for you ... Amphurs differ in the amount of time it takes to register ... We went to our local Amphur in Chonburi and was told it would take 5 months to process !! We then drove to Pattaya and had it completed in less than an hour. We did everything ourselves ... But be prepared to spend a lot of time with the red tape side of things ... We spent a day in Bangkok at the M.O. F.A. There are company's here that will do everything for you for 12,000 baht ... It saves a lot of running around ... Maybe money well spent.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, one last question ... My gf told me that they won't accept the affidavit of freedom if it's issued in Canada, and not by the embassy. Are there any special requirements for the affidavit?

I plan to get it here and send it for translation and certification by mail beforehand, as I don't plan to be in BKK at all.

Also, $400 for translation and certification seems a quite steep to me ... Better off with one day at MOFA

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi ohliuw

I was already living here so not sure if they will accept your affidavit from Canada .. I had mine done at the British consulate in Pattaya ... 2,700 baht. The stamp required at the MOFA ... I can't remember the cost ... But not a lot ... 600 baht for translation ... So $400 does sound steep. If you go to the MOFA ... Take a good book ... :-)

Let us know on here how you get on ... Things seem to change on quite a regular basis ... So will be interesting to get a recent update on requirements. Good luck to you both.

Thanks

Hi

Have you researched all of Canada's ways to immigrate?

In USA it is easier to get a fiance visa and get married here than to get married in thailand. then try and immigrate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by khonrai View Post
    Hi

Have you researched all of Canada's ways to immigrate?

In USA it is easier to get a fiance visa and get married here than to get married in thailand. then try and immigrate
    I am an immigrant as well to Canada, so I am well familiar with the procedures.

No finacee visa in Canada, sucks big time ...
    Have to get married in Thailand, then apply for sponsorship
    Last edited by ohliuw; 30-04-12 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hoistman View Post
    Hi ohliuw

I was already living here so not sure if they will accept your affidavit from Canada .. I had mine done at the British consulate in Pattaya ... 2,700 baht. The stamp required at the MOFA ... I can't remember the cost ... But not a lot ... 600 baht for translation ... So $400 does sound steep. If you go to the MOFA ... Take a good book ... :-)

Let us know on here how you get on ... Things seem to change on quite a regular basis ... So will be interesting to get a recent update on requirements. Good luck to you both.
    I got in touch with the embassy, they said that I need the one from the embassy, but agreed to send them a signed copy certified by a commissioner of oath and then mail it to them - my fiancée will pick it up and get it stamped at MOFA...

One more question, do yo remember the cost of the stamp at MOFA?

Thread Information