Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Thanks

Re: Sangkhlaburi, Mon Bridge.

I went back to Sangkhlaburi earlier this month to check out the new bamboo floating walkway and I have to say that it was great. This new floating walkway has really brought the area back to life, there were tourists everywhere, most enjoying the early morning walk over to the Mon village for breakfast.

A far cry from my last visit in August, where both sides of the water had very few visitors and all the shops around the bridge entrance were closed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9535zz.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	19356 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9540z.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	19357

Name:	IMG_9543zz.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	19358 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9558zz.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	344.5 KB 
ID:	19359
    Jumping off the wooden bridge seemed to be the order of the day.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

billyboy (22-10-13), Khun Don (21-10-13), Marie (21-10-13), mikeheart (21-10-13), oeshidez (22-10-13), Susana (21-10-13)

Thanks

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	317.6 KB 
ID:	19360
    Looking a bit wonky but this floating bamboo walkway is well built and very sturdy, no problems to walk on, there is a bit movement but not enough to worry about.

Name:	2a.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	324.7 KB 
ID:	19361 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	344.3 KB 
ID:	19362
    The little bamboo bridge allows boats to pass through, to go up river.

I think they have the noisiest boats in all of Thailand up here, they are so loud!

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	291.6 KB 
ID:	19363
    Up close and personal, you can really get a good look at the damage.

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	185.2 KB 
ID:	19364 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	19365
    On the Mon side of the walkway they have set up a few stalls to temp the tourists.
    - Chinese Proverb

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (23-10-13), Marie (23-10-13), Susana (23-10-13)

Thanks

I first went to Sangkhlaburi a few years ago, to see if I could get an early morning photo of the monks walking across the wooden bridge, all in single file over from the Mon side, but every time I arrived at the bridge, in the mornings darkness, they were already across. After 3 times of this without success I gave up and now I allow myself to sleep in, setting the alarm for 6am-ish, shower then walk down to the Mon Bridge, have a seat in the little coffee shops restaurant (Sangkhlaburi side), order a coffee and view the mornings activities on the bridge and water.

After the coffee, walk across to the Mon side for breakfast. There is an excellent little restaurant in the Mon village, on the right hand side as you exit the bridge, that makes the best Joke or Jock in the world. This is a very popular restaurant and is usually packed with a combination of locals and tourist, so best to get there early.

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	316.9 KB 
ID:	19387
    This is the restaurant above and as you can see, located very close to the entrance of the bridge. Every table gets a large pot of tea and a plate of deep-fried dough-sticks (Pha tong ko), these are great to dunk it into your bowl of joke.yum yum.

I was told on this visit, by a guest house owner, the bridge repairs will take place in the hotter months next year, when the water level is down, depending on funds of course.

Just to show you how popular this wooden bridge is with the Thai people, the below photos are from my visit during Songkran this year (April). Spending Songkran in Sangkhlaburi was very low key compared to Bkk or Pattaya but fun all the same. Splash Splash!

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	19388
    The restaurant is located right under the big blue Pepsi sign on the right, find a seat if you can.

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	176.9 KB 
ID:	19389
    I see this lady, with the flowers in her hair, every time I walk over for breakfast.

Name:	d.jpg 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	19390
    Walking back after breakfast at 8:15am and the bridge is packed.

Name:	e.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	19391 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	382.7 KB 
ID:	19392
    Standing in the middle of the bridge, looking towards Sangkhlaburi in the first photo and looking towards the Mon Village in the second.
    - Chinese Proverb

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Rori (26-10-13), Susana (26-10-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 723 Posts

Does the lady always have flowers in her hair, or is she just always there?

A leisurely stroll across a bridge, or even a pier, is one of my favorite things to do. I would have to walk the bamboo walkway if I had the chance.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

fileeep (27-10-13)

Thanks

Hi Susana, yes....every time I have seen her (5 times in the last 12 months) she has had the red flowers in her hair and those Thanaka powder circles on her cheeks.

Name:	IMG_1646zza.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	19394

In the Mon village you will see a lot of ladies with this powder on their faces, made from the tree of the same name. I am told that it provides sun protection, a nice fragrance and they believe it is the secret to beautiful healthy skin.

This lady can also be seen in the last photo in post number 52. It is 6 months between the two photos.

When you are next in Thailand you will have to visit Sangkhlaburi, and I am sure you will not be disappointed, at certain times of the year, you can find that you can be the only person on the bridge and in the morning with the low lying cloud.it is amazing.

I have to take my hat off to the people that came up with the idea of the floating walkway, putting the wheels in motion and got the job done in such a short time, I know that in Australia, we would still be going through the red tape.
    - Chinese Proverb

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Susana (27-10-13)

Thanks

Chatting to Billy last night we may go and see in December. Billy says he will stay awake alllllllllll night so he can get a photo of the monks crossing for you. loo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

fileeep (27-10-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeheart View Post
    Chatting to Billy last night we may go and see in December. Billy says he will stay awake alllllllllll night so he can get a photo of the monks crossing for you. loo
    I spoke to Billy last night on this chatline and passed on to him the best room to book at the P guest house in Sangkhlaburi (post number 4)......if he does get that shot, I will by him 10 beers....
    - Chinese Proverb

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

billyboy (03-11-13)

Thanks

Filleep You talked about Jimmys place Is it easy to find? We will want to go there when we stay at P guest house.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

fileeep (03-11-13)

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Big Jimmy’s Birdland Bookshop and restaurant is an interesting place to visit, it is a favorite with backpackers and the international volunteers who work in the area. Jimmy’s wife cooks up Thai, Burmese and western food, she is a great cook and the portions are huge.

Unfortunately Jimmy had a stroke about 2 years ago. He is getting better all the time and worth a chin-wag with for information on the area and Kanchanaburi in general, he has been in Thailand for over 25 years.

The Bookshop is located on the same road and about 500m before the P Guest House.

Jimmy’s place is very easy to find now, as directly opposite, they have constructed a new entrance to the Temple, so you can’t miss it.

Name:	IMG_9440zzz.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	19409 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9441zz.jpg 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	19410
    The newly constructed entrance to the Temple. Jimmy’s Birdland Bookshop directly opposite the Temple.

Name:	SangkhlaMap2Faz%20copya.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	173.0 KB 
ID:	19411
    Here is the map of the area. Click on the photo to enlarge.

In the top right corner you can see a major ‘T’ intersection, turning right here will take you to the famous 3 Pagoda’s pass and the border check point into Myanmar (when I was here in early October, this check point was open, the first time I have seen this in my 5 visits to the border).

Keep going straight at this ‘T’ intersection and after about 2km's you will drive through a very large welcoming arch, as you proceed further you will see on your left hand side, a huge lying Buddha and on your right, about 6 very large seated Buddha’s, the road veers around to the right and then take the second main road left, this is the road marked with a red arrow above.

If you come to a bridge before turning left, you have gone too far. ....I hope this helps.

I wish you and Billy all the best on your travels and would love to see some photos posted on here upon your triumphant return.
    Last edited by fileeep; 03-11-13 at 02:53 PM.
    - Chinese Proverb

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

billyboy (03-11-13), Marie (03-11-13), mikeheart (03-11-13)

Thanks

Hey Mike and Billy, here is a photo of room number A7, the one I was talking to you both about, at the P Guesthouse, I always ask for this room if possible.

Name:	k.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	363.7 KB 
ID:	19430
    Starting from the left is room A5, A6 and then on the far right, with the door left open is room A7.

Name:	l.jpg 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	19431
    An evening view from the balcony of the room. You can even see the Mon Bridge in the background.

After a stroll over the floating bamboo walkway to the Mon Village for breakfast, another nice thing to do, is to hire a boat and explore the lake and visit the Sunken Temple.

Name:	m.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	19432
    Before the damage to the bridge, you could hire a boat from this place, just left, to the entrance, Sangkhlaburi side, of the bridge.

Name:	n.jpg 
Size:	337.4 KB 
ID:	19433
    Now the boats for hire just tie up to the floating walkway, so on the way back from the Mon Village it is very easy to hire one. They can even drop you off at the P Guesthouse on the way back from the Sunken Temple, that is, if you didn't drive to the bridge in the first place.

Name:	q.jpg 
Size:	267.3 KB 
ID:	19434
    Here is the Sunken Temple in July, the building to the right was for accommodation.

Name:	r.jpg 
Size:	358.1 KB 
ID:	19435
    And the Temple in October.

The boats for hire are 300baht and the cruise can last up to 2 hours.....well worth doing.....
    Last edited by fileeep; 09-11-13 at 12:10 PM.
    - Chinese Proverb

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

billyboy (10-11-13), Marie (09-11-13)

Thread Information