PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: Sangkhlaburi, Mon Bridge. - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

Re: Sangkhlaburi, Mon Bridge.

About 22 km from the center of town is the 3 pagoda pass; this is situated at the Thai/Myanmar (Burmese) border and very easy to get to. There is a very long and interesting history to this pass, more information can be read here…..
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Pagodas_Pass

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	17310
    It is a very good road all the way to the border, you have to pass through two Amry check points and just before arriving at the boarder the mountains rise up to provide very nice scenery.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	17311
    The 3 Pagodas, looking towards Myanmar…somehow I thought they would be bigger.

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	17313 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	17312
    The Border.

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	129.8 KB 
ID:	17314
    Before Burma gained independence, the Japanese Army ruled it during World War II. Under the Japanese, the TPP area was part of the infamous “death railway”, built by the Japanese Army between Than Byu Zayup , Burma, and Three Pagoda Pass, on the Thai border. Many people were forced to work on this railway construction, resulting in many deaths. According to historical records about 12,339 POWs and 70,000 to 90,000 (20%) of the forced laborers died.

This information from here.... http://www.bnionline.net/feature/imn...-conflict.html

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	17315
    A view from the car park.
    Last edited by fileeep; 04-06-12 at 01:52 PM.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. ”
    - Chinese Proverb

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (05-06-12), MaiZa (15-08-13), Susana (04-06-12), wilma (30-07-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djaidee View Post
    Thanks for the Infos fileeep, would like to see some Photos so

Plan to go back to Kanchanaburi long time already, making a River Trip too, the Bridge will be on my list then as well.
    Hey djaidee, here are some photos of my trip on the river Kwai . I put the kayak into the water at about 5:45am, the resort I was staying at was right on the river, they made me up some coffee for my flask and a sandwich to munch on along the way

Name:	P1020983.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	17352
    After two hours on the river I reached the famous Bridge over the river Kwai to watch the sun coming up. This was in March 2012, they were letting water out of the dam in preparation of the coming wet season, and the river was flowing very fast, I had never seen so much water in the river, if you turned around you could not paddle against the flow at all and if you came out....well, you would be in big trouble.

Name:	P1020993.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	17353
    Passing under the bridge and on the other side.

Name:	P1020997.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	17354
    Looking back from where i came and heading towards Kanchanaburi (behind me) with my sensible shoes on
    - Chinese Proverb

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

djaidee (10-06-12), Mahindrasarath (10-06-12), MaiZa (15-08-13), Susana (10-06-12), wilma (30-07-12)

Thanks

So nice to see these picture,curious what's the flag adjacent to Thai flag?its seems doesn't Burmas flag. I heard its reputation by the flight magazine,would like to go in one day. Does the express train available?

Thanks

Hi Mahindrasarath,

A new design for the national flag was proposed on 10 November 2006 during a constitutional convention. The new flag would have consisted of three equally sized green, yellow, and red horizontal stripes, with a white star in the hoist end of the green stripe.

In September 2007 another new design was proposed, this time with a larger white star in the middle and with the stripes in a different order, namely: yellow, green, red. That same order was used in the flag of the State of Burma during the Japanese occupation of Burma, which featured a green peacock in the centre.

The new flag is basically a fusion of the flag of the State of Burma without the royal peacock, taking instead the white star that symbolised the Union of Burma in the canton of its flag.

Adoption of new flag

The flag proposed in September 2007 was included in the new constitution, and was accepted with the 2008 referendum. Officials were told to lower the old flag in favour of the new one only shortly before 3:00 p.m. local time on 21 October 2010.

Orders were also handed out to ensure all old flags were burned. The adoption of the new flag was announced on state media just prior to the flag changing.

The new flag is a horizontal tricolour flag of yellow, green and red charged with a five-pointed white star in the middle of the field. The yellow represents solidarity; the green symbolises peace, tranquility and lush greenery; the red represents courage and determination; and the white star stands for the significance of the union of the country.

Name:  220px-Flag_of_Myanmar_(2006_proposal)_svg.png
Views: 246
Size:  1.5 KB
    Flag proposed in 2006

Name:  225px-Flag_of_Myanmar_svg.png
Views: 514
Size:  3.0 KB
    Adopted 21 October 2010

I found this information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Burma

And this: http://www.flags.net/MYAN.htm
    Last edited by fileeep; 10-06-12 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added 2nd link.
    - Chinese Proverb

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Mahindrasarath (10-06-12), Susana (10-06-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mahindrasarath View Post
    Does the express train available?
    Hey Mahinrasarath,

That would be a great idea, I love train travel for a lot of reasons, one being that the train usually travels through the most scenic parts of the countryside, I had a look on the internet for international train travel to Myanmar (Burma) but found there are NO international trains from Burma, and it can be difficult to enter Burma overland from either India or Thailand because the borders are closed to foreigners and foreigners are not permitted in most border areas. Of course this may change over time and hopefully the borders will open up.

I found this information here: http://www.seat61.com/Burma.htm
    - Chinese Proverb

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Mahindrasarath (10-06-12)

Thanks

Another attraction of Sangkhlaburi is the water itself, you can tour around on it , inspect the structural integrity of the bridge or visit the sunken temple.

This is very easy to do, I dropped into Fat Jimmy’s place for lunch the day before (an American guy with a backpackers and second hand bookshop, been living in Sangkhlaburi for 25 years) to find out some information.

Views:	117 
Size:	181.3 KB 
ID:	17548
    On the left hand side of the Mon bridge entrance (Sangkhlaburi side) there is a little cafe where you can organisers boat tours, nice people but very average coffee.

I am sure you can organise a boat tour from your hotel or guest house as well.

Size:	198.8 KB 
ID:	17549
    For a fee of 300 baht, this was my vessel….

Views:	93 
Size:	186.9 KB 
ID:	17550 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	97 
Size:	191.9 KB 
ID:	17551
    First off, we headed up stream, under the bridge…..handmade and still looking pretty good.

Views:	100 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	17552 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	96 
Size:	159.0 KB 
ID:	17553
    Some fellow commuters on the water.
    Last edited by fileeep; 18-07-12 at 01:53 PM.
    - Chinese Proverb

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (18-07-12), MaiZa (15-08-13), oeshidez (18-11-12), wilma (30-07-12)

Thanks

The 300baht tour starts with a trip up river as far as the main traffic bridge then turns around and head towards the sunken temple.

Name:	a.jpg 
Size:	148.1 KB 
ID:	17562 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	17563
    Another resort with beautiful views just by the main traffic bridge and looking back towards the Mon Bridge from under the traffic bridge.

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	17565
    From the Mon Bridge to the sunken Temple is about 20 minutes, you pass by Wat Wang Wiwekaram. Here you can see the Golden Pagoda and the big black rain cloud moving in the same direction we were heading. It looks like it is raining already behind the Golden Pagoda.

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	17567
    This guy was flying along in the opposite direction , maybe trying to get home before the rain.....we pressed on regardless

Name:	e.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	17566
    Not far after passing Wat Wang Wiwekaram and the Golden Pagoda you arrive at the sunken Temple, I was told by the skipper that the only part that doesn’t go under water is the white shrine on top of the tower.

Name:	f.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	172.1 KB 
ID:	17564
    Taking a photo of these steps I noticed that in the background the foreshore was slowly disappearing to that big black rain cloud
    - Chinese Proverb

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (21-07-12), MaiZa (15-08-13), wilma (30-07-12)

Thanks

Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	17591
    The boat comes ashore right by the tall tower, the Temple is in the distance on the left and just before you get there you are greeted by a girl selling flowers, these are to put on a shrine in the temple, she must live in the white house to the right of the picture.

By the time I got to the girl I could hear a roaring sound, it sounded like a fast flowing river, the girl greeted me with a smile which didn’t last for too long as shouting was coming from the white house, the girl looked to her left, then at me with kind of serious look on her face, she then turned and ran back to the house.

The roaring sound was the rain coming, it looked almost like a wall racing towards me. I legged it (ran with gusto) to the temple and nearly made it inside just as it hit.
    Luckily for me there was a tarp covered shrine to stand under to wait for the rain to stop…..it didn’t stop. Just then the skipper of the boat came running up and gave me one of those light weight rain coats and then he ran back to the boat.

When the rain slowed down a bit I took a few pictures and went back to the boat, I used the rain coat to wrap my camera in, in the boat he had an umbrella to help deflect the rain

The rain only stopped by the time we got back to the Mon Bridge. The lady at the shop looked at me and my wild hair and laughed saying that it didn’t rain here. She gave me a hot coffee and a bottle of water, no charge. She said it is better in the morning so I booked for 9am and went back to my guest house to put something dry on.

Views:	88 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	17590
    If you click on the photo you can make out the skipper wringing out his shirt and the rain still falling….such a brave young man!

Size:	151.4 KB 
ID:	17592 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	80 
Size:	190.2 KB 
ID:	17593
    Inside the temple and under the trap, it didn’t take long for large pools of water to form.
    - Chinese Proverb

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13), Susana (23-07-12), wilma (30-07-12)

Thanks

I rolled up at the Mon Bridge the next day at 8:30am, the lady said ‘you say 9am’ I just said…sorry I am farang….we both laughed she offered me another coffee while I waited for the boat but I declined.

It wasn’t too long before I was in the boat and underway, an umbrella and rain coat was already stowed onboard.

We stopped off at the same place in front of the tower, there were quite a few boats already there and about 30 people looking over the temple.

Views:	112 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	17621 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	108 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	17620
    These steps again but with better weather conditions. It is like the old and the new with the Golden Pagoda and Wat Wang Wiwekaram (Wat Mon) easily seen in the back ground.

Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	17618 Click image for larger version. 

Views:	112 
Size:	156.6 KB 
ID:	17619
    And a few photos of the Temple.

Views:	94 
Size:	143.3 KB 
ID:	17617
    It did rain a little bit before these photos, but once the sun came out it was perfect.
    - Chinese Proverb

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

MaiZa (15-08-13), Susana (26-07-12), wilma (30-07-12)

Thanks

A few more photos from around the Sunken Temple "Wat Samprasop".

Views:	115 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	17624
    The flower girls, waiting to greet some more visitors.

Views:	102 
Size:	244.2 KB 
ID:	17625
    Only the highest ones of there remain on the inside walls, I am not sure what they are…anyone?

Views:	114 
Size:	167.3 KB 
ID:	17626
    Just another angle of the sunken Temple "Wat Samprasop".

Views:	114 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	17627
    I was told by the boat Captain this building was an old accommodation block.

Size:	210.5 KB 
ID:	17628

Views:	101 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	17629
    My shelter from the previous days down pour.
    - Chinese Proverb

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (27-07-12), MaiZa (15-08-13), wilma (30-07-12)

Thread Information