Page 1 of 42 123411 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

My photos and thought process behind the image

I had planned to add a section to my website explaining the post proccessing techniques that I use on my photos. I receieve many messages and emails which I always try to answer, but I always have the same problem..... I have no stock answer. Every individual image is processed differently. Some (actually very few) are true HDR made from multiple exposures, others may even be composites made from different scenes.

I thought I would try a facebook page of my photos, it would be easier for me to update, and I could explain my thought process and technique behind the pics I upload. I have no idea if anyone will be interested......... but if you are, please "like" the page and if there is anything that you would like me to include please let me know.

The first photo that I explain is this one

Guava photo facebook page here

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to guava For This Useful Post:

billk (30-04-12), djaidee (29-04-12), fileeep (30-04-12), Khun Don (29-04-12), wilma (10-05-12)

Thanks

Re: My photos and thought process behind the image

I remember that a long long time ago I also asked you to explain the Process - for a long time I also plan to start with HDR Photography but haven't the right Camera yet.

Maybe you can suggest a good one which you made good experiences with yourself or from Critics.

Also will follow the Process Explanations on your Website very carefully because I would like to learn more about HDR Photography.

Would be a Workshop a good choice or did you learn everything by yourself - Learning by Doing???
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 3,367 Posts

Still very interested in your technique, Guava, but I am not a member of "Facebook"-and do not wish to be. Any chance of also posting here or on your site, please? Or by PM?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

Hi guava, I am also not a member of facebook and like Khun Don, have no interest in it. But I do enjoy looking at your photos and think that if you started a tutorial on here there would be much interest, I hope you do.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

billyboy (30-04-12), guava (30-04-12), Khun Don (30-04-12)

Thanks

You don't have to be a Member at Facebook and still can see the Website Guava mentioned as he made it visible for the whole Public, but surely a Thread here with Explanations would be a great thing too
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djaidee For This Useful Post:

guava (30-04-12), Khun Don (30-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by djaidee View Post
    You don't have to be a Member at Facebook and still can see the Website Guava mentioned as he made it visible for the whole Public,
    Yep, the page is not my private facebook, it is an open web address with total public access.

It still feels a little bit weird that so many people contact me about my photographs, especially as they are, to me, a personal representation of a very personal memory. Although it feels weird, at the same time it does feel cool to think that some of my pictures inspire others to explore photography as an artform, and not just a method of recording an event to be looked at one time and then forgotten.

I have always resisted posting a tutorial on forums such as this that are not photography related. It feels to me like self promotion, kinda "look at me", it is a fine line between providing links for people that may be interested in my work and making out like the big expert on "how to do HDR".

The facebook idea is just that, an idea. I thought that I would give it a go and see if anyone is interested. Thank you to everyone that has visited the page, my intention is to make regular posts, hopefully providing some interesting background behind each image displayed.

Thanks

but haven't the right Camera yet.

Maybe you can suggest a good one which you made good experiences with yourself or from Critics.
    So many people ask me about my equipment, I think that I will make a post on Facebook listing my current equipment and the reason that I chose each item.

For HDR things that I find are most useful are..............

ability to autobracket exposure is almost essential, mostly I bracket 5 exposures at 1 stop intervals but quite often will cut that to 3 exposures 2 stops apart.

A high speed continuous frame rate. This is a HUGE advantage when shooting multiple frames as it will allow you to shoot hand held (with good technique) and still be able to line up multiple images.

Would be a Workshop a good choice or did you learn everything by yourself - Learning by Doing???
    I learnt from studying photographs that I loved. I followed my favourite photographers on Flickr and just experimented with software that they used. I never had any other goal than making my photos look like the memory that I had in my head at the moment I took the photo.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guava For This Useful Post:

djaidee (08-05-12), Khun Don (30-04-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guava View Post

I have always resisted posting a tutorial on forums such as this that are not photography related. It feels to me like self promotion, kinda "look at me", it is a fine line between providing links for people that may be interested in my work and making out like the big expert on "how to do HDR".
    But it is not as though you are sharing your expertise without being asked to-an entirely different thing in my opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guava View Post
    For HDR things that I find are most useful are..............

ability to autobracket exposure is almost essential, mostly I bracket 5 exposures at 1 stop intervals but quite often will cut that to 3 exposures 2 stops apart.

A high speed continuous frame rate. This is a HUGE advantage when shooting multiple frames as it will allow you to shoot hand held (with good technique) and still be able to line up multiple images.
    I would add to that list in lieu of high speed continuous frame rate -and a steady hand!- a good tripod-and- if budget permits, a camera that allows wireless remote-the remote controllers for such are surprisingly cheap-to prevent the possibility of any wobble from pressing the shutter manually. Old Nikons like the D40-which can be bought relatively cheaply second hand now-have this feature-and probably old Canons etc also do

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

guava (30-04-12)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,956 Posts

I also think that since you have been asked by several people to share your knowledge and experience it would not be looked upon as self promotion, but as help from a friend.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

guava (30-04-12), Khun Don (30-04-12)

Thread Information