Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3239404142
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

Re: My photos and thought process behind the image

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    Really nice pic, Billy, some difficult lighting there!
    Yes, thanks, it was taken full zoom on a 300mm lens,

2. The Following User Says Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (18-12-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,223 Times in 3,367 Posts

Fine for most of the time-got used to it now-no real complaints following the v8.?? upgrade "bricking" incident which affected a lot of other people. Thankfully I have an Apple Premium Reseller nearby, who are very good.

Have since last post been eyeing up a Mac Mini as it is more in budget than anything else, but currently undecided-problem is that the one I would be really happy with, which has a decent amount of memory and graphics -the 2.6GHz model-is really beyond budget at GB pound 569. (Here in the UK we also have to pay a uniform 20% sales tax ("VAT") on most things except food.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,130 Posts

Here's a 3 image HDR that I did using Aurora. It's a fancy kuti at Wat Nakprok, a lessor temple next to the big ticket Wat Bhasi Charoen (chedi in background).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temple_web.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	21777  
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (04-08-16), Khun Don (05-01-16), mikeheart (05-01-16), Susana (05-01-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

I have just started my summer photo trips for this year. Last week I traveled to the Ffestiniog railway that runs from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog (my journey was actually a single trip in the opposite direction).

The Ffestiniog Railway is one of the oldest narrow gauge railways in Wales. It was built to transport slate from the slate mines in Blaenau Ffestiniog to the seaport at Porthmadog. To be cost effective in this mountainous area it was built to a gauge of 1' 11.5" (597mm) and runs for 13.5 miles. Opened in 1836 in closed to slate traffic in 1946. In 1954 efforts were begun to reopen it as a passenger carrying railway for tourists and the first trains ran in 1955, it was reopened in various stages (from the Porthmadog end) finally returning to Blaenau Ffestiniog in 1982.

This is a photo taken last Tuesday (26 July 2016) of the Double Fairlie locomotive 'David Lloyd George' on arrival at Blaenau, I travelled on this train once the loco had been moved to the other end of the train. Not so obvious in this photo is that the Double Fairlies are like two little locos back to back with two 'fronts'. The loco has two boilers but only one fire between them with the driver and fireman standing on opposite sides of it.

I have set myself a project this year to photograph the narrow gauge lines of Wales so expect to do some more trips in the coming months, I had hoped to do the Welsh Highland Railway (which runs for 25 miles from the same station in Porthmadog to Caernarfon) and the Talyllyn Railway, but needing to get to Caernarfon before 10:00am I want to stay overnight before in Caernarfon and the wheelchair accessible rooms were fully booked.

Ignoring the Fairbourne Railway, which with a gauge of 12.25 inches I consider a large model railway, there are 12 narrow gauge railways in Wales. Quite handy as I intend my railway calendar for next year to be Welsh Narrow Gauge Railways.

They are:

Bala Lake Railway
    Brecon Mountain Railway
    Corris Railway
    Ffestiniog Railway
    Llanberis Lake Railway
    Penrhyn Quarry Railway
    Snowdon Mountain Railway
    Talyllyn Railway
    Vale of Rheidol Railway
    Welsh Highland Railway
    Welsh Highland (Heritage) Railway
    Welshpool and Llanfair Railway

David

Name:	FR David Lloyd George at Blaenau Ffestiniog.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	22271  

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

Curt (05-08-16), mikeheart (05-08-16), Susana (05-08-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,130 Posts

Good to see you back at it!

Looks like HDR mixed with a little Orton effect.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (06-08-16)

Thanks

Circumstances have managed to conspire that I haven't yet managed another photo trip yet this year, so here is another shot from the trip above.

It is the same locomotive as the previous shot, but taken at Porthmadog as it was preparing to make the return journey to Blaenau Ffestiniog. Porthmadog is where the Ffestiniog Railway and the Welsh Highland Railway (owned and operated by the Ffestiniog Railway) meet, the WHR trains depart from the platform on the right.

The buildings you see to the left are an upmarket development on Porthmadog harbour, way back in the day this was where the slate wharves were located for the transfer of the slates from the trains to three masted ships to be sent all around the world.

Something interesting (at least to me) that I have noticed recently is that Porthmadog is the Welsh spelling of the town whilst in English it is Portmadoc, but I see more and more English speakers now using the spelling Portmadog which is neither Welsh nor English.

Porthmadog has one of the highest Welsh speaking populations with 75% of its population being fluent in the language, and just to the north of it is Tremadog, birthplace of T.E.Lawrence better known as 'Lawrence of Arabia'.

David

Name:	FR David Lloyd George at Porthmadog.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	22278  

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

Curt (15-08-16), mikeheart (15-08-16), Susana (15-08-16)

Thanks

I love Portmadoc and Black Rock sands. I spent many holidays there as a child. I remember the railway well. My grandfather spoke a little Welsh too

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (15-08-16)

Thanks

Finally managed another photo trip out this week; went on the Ffestiniog Railway again.

Despite the Ffestiniog running three locos a day, and me visiting on a different day of the week and at a different time of day my train was again hauled by David Lloyd George loco so not posting any photos from that. Not having to rush off at Porthmadog to meet up with my brother as last time, I waited around on the station for the last train of the day on the Welsh Highland Railway to arrive.

This photo is of one of the WHRs NGG16 Garratts, I believe they have five (possibly six) of these locos of which three are currently in service. These locos were built by three different companies for South African Railways and this example was by Beyer-Peacock of Manchester (England). When SAR changed over to diesel power they were sold off and can be found on several railways around the world including the Puffing Billy in Australia.

These are the biggest locos ever built for 2 foot gauge railways. Most (all?) of the WHR steam locos are big ex-South African engines.

David

Name:	WHR NGG16 No 138 at Porthmadog Station.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	22282  

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

Curt (21-08-16), Susana (21-08-16)

Thanks

I managed another photo trip this week, a marathon trek to the Skarloey Railway. I got up at 5am and it was midnight by the time I got home and had a mug of tea.

If you have never heard of the Skarloey Railway then you probably don't know any little boys (or maybe girls) as it is the narrow gauge railway in the Thomas the Tank Engine books. It is based on the Talyllyn Railway in mid Wales, the Reverend Wilbert Awdry that wrote the books was a volunteer guard on the Talyllyn back in the 1950s and wrote the railway and its 7 engines in to the books but changing all the names.

One of the Skarloey engines is called Peter Sam (really Edward Thomas) and on Thursday it was Peter Sam's Party and 5 of the engines were running with their 'Thomas' names and there were lots of excited little boys and girls everywhere. Not forgetting the excited Dads too...

This is a shot of the engine called Rheneas (really Dolgoch)

David

Name:	Skarloey Railway - Rheneas.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	22283  

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

emu (28-08-16), Susana (28-08-16)

Thread Information