PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
School Assignment Help: Sign Translation
    Thanks

thumbs up School Assignment Help: Sign Translation

Hello! i'm wondering if anyone can translate this sign from thai to english for me. It's an extra credit assignment for school.
    thanks!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sign.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	17239

Thanks

Re: School Assignment Help: Sign Translation

First of all I wonder what kind of Credit Assignment for School this is - you or your Teacher must be kidding us

Could you please give us some more Background Informations about this Credit Assignment, I am very curious.

Secondly this is a Shop Sign in Northeastern Thailand also known as "Isaan".

Most of the Dishes are Issan-Style-Dishes with very bloody and raw Meat - but many Issan people like these kind of Dishes.

So I try to translate step-by-step:

һ = "Pa Pum" , that's the Name of the Shop and means "Auntie Pum" (must be a very sweet and lovely Auntie with all this bloody and raw Meat around)

Һ = "Laap Khom" , "Laap" is a spicy minced meat salad, but this Issan-Style with bloody and raw meat

= "Gaeng Oom" , this is an Issan-Style-Soup

= "Sa" and = "Lu" , are both Issan-Dishes with bloody and raw meat

= "Guay Tiau" , surprisingly this is just a normal Noodle Soup (but who knows what else they will put in there)

Ǣ = "Khao Kah Muh" , again surprisingly ordinary Pork Knuckle with Rice

ѹ = "Khao Man Gai" , also only ordinary greasy Chicken with Rice

ͧͧ = "Khong Gin Muang Muang Chao" , there is a spelling mistake has to be Թ but I think they wrote it like that so that it sounds like Isaan-Dialect ; meaning "Food from here (our Region)" or Regionally Food.

The Word "Chao" is here used like = "Kha" (Female Polite Particle) , Issan people often use this to make it sound more soft, warm and friendly.

To give you more a clue about these strange Isaan-bloody-raw Dishes I suggest that you Google the Words in Thai Script, also by especially looking for Pictures, and you will find some interesting Results.

I wish you a Happy Meal and hope you enjoy it
    Last edited by djaidee; 23-05-12 at 05:03 AM.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

hahaha, thanks so much! that's great!

Thanks

This really isn't a joke. it really is extra credit. It's for a Discourse Text Analysis class. My teacher was just in thailand and took a picture of a random sign for us to find out the meaning of somehow. He doesn't know what it is either (well he does now thanks to you).

cheers

Thanks

You are welcome.

As I suggested you really should Google those Dishes and maybe attach some Photos to the Explanations to make it a very colourful Credit Assignment
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

ha, i actually did exactly what you suggested and found the bloodiest picture to include with my assignment haha. thanks again for your help

Thread Information