PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Suggestions needed: I need 'affordable' rooms in Bangkok near Sukhumvit
    Thanks

Suggestions needed: I need 'affordable' rooms in Bangkok near Sukhumvit

Good morning/day fellows,

I have never visited Bangkok before. I have an appointment at Sukhumvit on the 21st of June. For this reason, I would like to find affordable/cheap hotel rooms close to Sukhumvit Soi 49, if possible.

As my knowledge of Bangkok is really limited and I have almost no knowledge of Thai language, at this time, I wouldn't like to experiment much with my accommodation. A safe neighbourhood, an 'affordable'/'cheap' room (the rate should be less than 600 Bahts per day), easy internet access and safe/healthy foods within reach/walking distance would keep me satisfied at this time.

I reckon for a very tourist friendly country like Thailand and for Bangkok, in particular, these requirements could be met quite easily. In any case, if there are no such accommodation available close to Sukhumvit, could someone explain which area of Bangkok I could find a 'reasonable' accommodation in, and from where I could use either the MRT or BTS, or perhaps taxis to travel to Sukhumvit for the appointment. Personally, I would take the MRT or BTS over any taxi because I reckon that would be easier for me to follow as maps and instructions would be in English. Many taxi drivers may not speak/understand English all that well. Would I be accurate in my assumptions there?

It would help me a lot if these questions could be answered. Many thanks in advance fellows.

Cheers,
    Hussein

Thanks

Re: Suggestions needed: I need 'affordable' rooms in Bangkok near Sukhumvit

Hi, welcome to the forum. All of your assumptions are accurate, Sukhumvit is a tourist-friendly area, you'll have no problems finding the accommodation you want within easy walking distance of soi 49. At sub-600baht you'll really be slumming it though, have a look on 'Agoda' for cheap rates; there is HI-Sukhumvit Hostel on soi 38 where you're in an 8-bed dormitory, usually pushing 600/night but half that if booked through Agoda. You'll find lots of similar places all the way down Sukhumivt from which you can easily get the BTS to soi 49 - CNN GO did a good guide to 49 you can find via Google.

Thanks

Re: Suggestions needed: I need 'affordable' rooms in Bangkok near Sukhumvit

Hi, I know this is a late reply but it may be of use to others using this forum. As PakDude said ..."At sub-600baht you'll really be slumming it".... , however I have found one possibility just opposite Suk49, "Rainforest Guest House, 764/11 Soi 32/1 Sukhumvit Rd" which you can check out on booking.com at (( http://www.booking.com/hotel/th/al-f...-house.en.html )) and from one of the many good reviews..............
    "An excellent option if all you want is a secure place to keep your belongings and put up for the night while you spend your day roaming around the city. The hotel itself is nondescript, but situated in the main Soi Sukhumvit, around 5 minutes walk from Thong Lo BTS Station. The room itself offers only the most basic of facilities - a bed, powerful airconditioning and attached bath. Wi-fi is available, and so is breakfast, both included in the room price. It is the price (600 baht per day) and the central location (Asok BTS / Sukhumvit MRT is just two stops away) it makes for an excellent value for money preposition The staff are friendly, courteous and helpful, the rooms clean."
    Personally I find that if you were able to budget closer to 900/1000Bt then you can enjoy the challenge of finding better accomodation, which often brings me to the MRT Rama9 area ((Fortune/Tesco Lotus/New Shopping Complex)), you could then take MRT to Asoke, then BTS to Thong Lo. I have stayed at "The Centric Ratchada" "Praso Residence" and "Tanatawey Places" and was happy with each of them. Once for 1700Bt I stayed at the Grand Mercure, Fortune and had a good but short stay, 0530am taxi to Mochit for 2,...... was it worth 1700Bt just for 4hours sleep!?

Thread Information