PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Anyone teaching English with no certificate/degree?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Anyone teaching English with no certificate/degree?

Is anyone teaching English in Thailand without a TEFL certificate or degree in teaching? Perhaps you may be a private English teacher or tutor? Are you making decent or better income than those who do have the qualifications and are teaching in educational institutes?

If you are currently teaching English in an educational institute, have you tried becoming a private English teacher? If so, how did it go and do you make decent income?

Thanks

Re: Anyone teaching English with no certificate/degree?

While I'm sure there are people doing what you have asked, I doubt anybody would willingly out themselves on the internet.
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Anyway, they just might be wondering why you are asking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Anyway, they just might be wondering why you are asking.
    Probably unqualified and wants to come to Thailand to teach English, and is looking for people who have gone before.
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks

Most probably. Still, it's easier to fish if you use the right bait!

Thanks

I am wondering because I am an unqualified person. I was curious of what kind of income one may be able to get without a certificate or degree teaching English on the side. I know that the community probably prefers someone with some sort of certificate or degree to even consider but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks

Spooki,

This has come up before in other threads, but I can't think of any particular thread to suggest for you to read. Perhaps someone else can.

Anyway, here is a website I should have suggested to begin with: www.ajarn.com Ajarn means teacher in Thai, and you can read their forum also. I don't know if you will even be considered for a teaching position without proper qualifications. It has sometimes been suggested that it depends on how desperate they are for teachers, and that changes from time to time. Also, it makes a bit of money to support yourself while searching for work. If you have a degree you can always take the TEFOL course in Thailand. The U.S. too, for that matter.

Since it's none of my business, I won't be offended if you choose to not answer, but I am curious as to why you have chosen Thailand. In any case, Welcome!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (20-06-12)

Thanks

Only reason I am asking is because my husband is Thai. We were just talking about our future and he suggested that if we should one day go back to Thailand where his family resides, I may want to look into teaching English. I don't have a degree or a certificate in anything.

So while I was browsing the internet, I decided to see if I can find any information regarding someone without qualifications teaching English in Thailand. I understand that majority of the educational institute will only hire those with qualifications. What I'm really trying to research is if I was someone without any qualifications (no degree/certs.) and becoming a private English teacher/tutor, what kind of estimated income could I get. Therefore, I ask if there were any private English teachers/tutors right now without qualifications but am bringing pretty good income and living well. What do they do and how are they doing it? (Just trying to get some information on those with first hand).

Thanks

Spooki, your husband is correct that it would be the best (most likely only) choice for you to teach English if you go to live in Thailand. In fact many women who are married to Thai men do the same, as I once did many years ago. I don't know about tutoring, but perhaps someone else can help you with that possibility.

Please check out the ajarn website. I'm sure you will find a lot of interesting reading there, and hopefully some helpful information. I hope you'll spend some time here also. I think some others will read your post and offer their insight as well.

Thanks

visa is the dodgy thing - difficult to get a non-B visa if you are not qualified. however, if you get a marriage visa, and try to get a job and work permit on top of that, it is more possible. government schools, languages centres - anyone willing to bend the rules. please note that they are making it harder and harder every year to get the relevant paperwork, forcing many into illegality. also, your school's negotiating power (connections and bribes paid) weigh a lot. what would be totally impossible in one province with one school no matter how hard you try, would be a breeze somewhere else. so, a full-time job is not totally out of the question. schools pay about 30,000 a month, probably less to people without qualifications.
    as an independent tutor etc - it's all about connections and how many hours you are willing to work. going rate in Chiang Mai is about 350 baht per hour. easy to ask around at schools, parents always looking for extra tuition, and all they (well, most of them) care about is a white face and a well-sounding country of origin, never going to ask anything about your degrees.
    good luck.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Betti For This Useful Post:

Jerome (21-06-12), Marie (20-06-12), Susana (20-06-12)

Thread Information