PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
First post - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First post

Thanks

Re: First post

I see some people have switched into "Sherlock Holmes"-mode again

Fwiw, the OP posted the same question on another board, and the Thai native speakers there came to the conclusion that it meant something like ѡеʹ = ѡеʹ = I love you forever

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eric67 View Post
    I see some people have switched into "Sherlock Holmes"-mode again
    Well, that too. But as for myself now, it's a genuine question why it seems that many Thai ladies tend to do that. For about five years now, I have been witnessing repeatedly this phenomenon in TCB where non-Thai guys rush in to ask, after racking their brain, what their girlfriends mean by this and that Thai message addressed to them. My first question is usually "Does your girlfriend know you CANNOT read Thai?" One hundred percent of the time the answer is "Yes, she knows I cannot read Thai." Then my next query (which regular chatters are dead sure I would fire away!) is " Why on earth would she send you a message in Thai when she knows you cannot understand it?" Of course, I haven't received a logical answer or else I wouldn't be asking anymore now. I have a very simple mind and I fail to grasp many things- including this. So, what is up with Thai women doing this ?

Fwiw, the OP posted the same question on another board, and the Thai native speakers there came to the conclusion that it meant something like ѡеʹ = ѡеʹ = I love you forever
    In this kind of a circumstance, wouldn't it be best, for the education of everyone concerned, to ask directly the message sender now what she actually meant?

Thanks

Marie - my only explanation in these cases is that these notes in question were not meant for the non-Thais who are trying to decipher them....

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Betti For This Useful Post:

billk (20-08-12), Marie (18-08-12)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    Marie - my only explanation in these cases is that these notes in question were not meant for the non-Thais who are trying to decipher them....

Thanks

Well, if the OP had posted the exact same question, but with something written in Thai like "my boyfriend Steve is such a boring jerk, last night I went out with his best friend and he reaaally knows how to give me a good time", yeah, then I would agree with you.

In this case though, I think you can put your spidey sense to rest

I'm not a Thai lady , so maybe not best qualified to answer as to why they would do that, but I'll give one possible explanation:

Some people have no problem telling others how they feel, but there are a lot of people who are a bit shy, scared of creating an awkward situation, etc, etc.
    One way of getting around that, instead of just spilling your guts, is to give them a little riddle in your native language to figure out. If they understand and agree then it's all good, if they don't agree, well then it's just a riddle. In any case it's a good conversation topic.

With English being spoken worldwide, it might be a bit difficult to relate if that's your native language. I mean, giving a foreigner a piece of paper that says "I love you" isn't much of a riddle, now is it?
    But I'm Dutch and with Dutch being a language that very few foreigners speak as well, I know that it happens here too, so it's not that strange to me.

Well, like I said before, just one out of many possibilities....no need to always think the worst, right?

Thanks

however, I've seen a LOT of Thai handwriting over the years, and this looks a bit like some special design, or deliberately made almost illegible, not just everyday regular handwriting.

Thanks

Hi Eric,

Well, to delimit the issue, for this particular inquiry at hand, Ok, I will buy your comment about the awkwardness some women might feel in straightforwardly saying "I love you" to a man. And so they might resort to saying it in another form. That could be a plausible reason. But again to write that 'riddle' or what-have-you in a way that it is almost undistinguishable even to native speakers? That adds now to my quandary!

From my viewpoint this whole practice increases the likelihood of miscommunication or the message not being picked up acurately. I've always thought that if we really want to get across a message we would actively do our level best to facilitate understanding. But it appears to me now like the attitude is: "I will send you this message but bleed to death if you must to unravel it." Am I wrong? Please correct me.

I am not sure but it seems there's a more interesting angle to this worth examining. LOL

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Betti (19-08-12)

Thanks

I run it across a Native-Thai-Speaker once again and even with the Extra-Info that it possible could mean ѡеʹ it was almost impossible to come to this Conclusion, but yet still possible that it reads this.

Then again, how can you give something like this to somebody who can't read Thai at all when even a Native-Thai-Speaker is not able to read it???

Eric you might be right, but I wonder why in similar Threads the only one who can shed some light on it (the OP with more Info) almost always remains silent, that gives a bitter taste to the whole thing and in many cases I just think that the Message wasn't meant to the OP at all.

So at the end the OP is more clueless as at the beginning and still he has to ask the Writer what it really means - so those whole Riddle-Thing was worthless.

Only could have made him suspicious that she has a Secret-Lover called "Sakchai" or whatever this might read.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djaidee For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (19-08-12), Marie (19-08-12), Rori (19-08-12)

Thanks

Hmm I am a Thai lady, and I wouldnt do this to my foriegn bf (if I have one lol). I might just give him a nice Thai word and make sure he could easily find an answer in google.
    With the writing of this riddle piece..it is just bad handwriting of the person..mostly related to not well educated (i could be wrong). It is funny (or riiculous!) that the only people who follow up the thread are us not the OP!! hmmmm...

Thanks

I dunno about the handwriting reflecting something to do with not being well educated!! Don't forget that Thailand has a literacy rate which tops almost every first world country in the world year after year. Most all Thais can read/write Thai just fine, it's the handwriting style which is throwing us off.

Native English speakers/writers often times have atrocious handwriting. I haven't found handwritten Thai all that different. Almost everyone writes the characters differently from the way they're taught in school. It's just how it is.

When I hand-write Thai I cut the "heads" off any consonant that doesn't need it. My Thai teachers threw a hissy fit over this, but when pressed they admitted they could all read what I wrote; it just wasn't "written perfect". I ain't tryin' to win a "most beautiful handwriting competition" when I write Thai , I'm tryin' to write as fast as I can and as clear as I can.

That note looks like it was just jotted down quickly, nothing more.

Still I can't work it out either. Perhaps the O/P could get whoever wrote it to type it out in Thai, then we'd all know, lol. . .

Thread Information