PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What You Eat on 1st and 15th day of lunar month
    I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

This thread is inspired by Richard's "What I Eat in Thailand" 5555 =D

Quite a number of Chinese Buddhists and Taoists worldwide observe a vegetarian diet on the 1st and 15th day of each lunar month. Today happens to be the 1st day of the 8th lunar month (yesterday brought an end to the month-long Taoism's Hungry Ghost Festival or the Ullambana Festival as known by the Buddhists), and some people will choose to take on a full day of vegetarian diet or simply half a day (usually morning to noon), depending on what works best for them in their circumstance or their sincerity.

For me, I'm a full-time vegetarian so it's the 1st and 15th days all year round for me, 24/7 ^^ However, knowing that many Chinese (and some Indians too) in Singapore and Malaysia do observe the two days of vegetarianism each month, I'm wondering if anyone here will like to share photos and/or comments about what they eat today (and on any other 1st and 15th days of the lunar month). I know for a fact that Singaporeans just love their vegetarian fried vermicilli (fried beehoon) with a bit of gavy over all those gluten, soy-protein stuff and vegetables on these two very days.

Other than knowing that the 1st and 15th day are a sort of Mahayana Buddhism holy days (does it apply to Theravada Buddhism too?), I do not quite know why these two days are especially emphasized for people to go vegetarian.

Do Thais celebrate these two days too?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB280780.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	17817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC070781.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	17818Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2221221.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	17816
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC080792.jpg 
Views:	952 
Size:	188.1 KB 
ID:	17821Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC310838.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	255.9 KB 
ID:	17819Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC310839.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	243.2 KB 
ID:	17820

The top three photos are homecooked food. The bottom three are taken at Buddhist temples. The one on the bottom far left is actually free lunch served by a Vietnamese Buddhist temple for the public every 1st and 15th of each lunar month! N this very generous serving is actually just for one person (me)!
    Last edited by yy; 16-09-12 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add photos
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Susana (16-09-12)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the pictures and starting this thread. I know some Thai friends don't eat meat on Wan Phra (4 phases of the moon). I've never done it though it's worth considering. I just have to remember which days are Wan Phra.

- Sent from my iPhone

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

yy (16-09-12)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Re: What You Eat on 1st and 15th day of lunar month

Hope to read your Wan Phra articles some day soon

Nice to know that they do celebrate it in Thailand too. I do acknowledge that it's not easy to remember; I always have to circle the dates on my small purse-sized calender as well as the big calender on my desk. In the earlier days, I sometimes forgot.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thread Information