PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Best rates in Bangkok, currency exchange shops.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best rates in Bangkok, currency exchange shops.

I'm looking for a currency exchange shop having a good rate (w/o commission) for converting AUD to USD, i am going to Myanmar, and i have a lot of AUD, and i want to convert them to new, crisp, clean looking US bills of all denominations, without marks, ink, stamps, or CB serial numbers, basically they should look brand new, does anyone know where I can find such a place, near a MRT, or BTS station? Today's rate, 1.00 AUD = 1.02134 USD, but i am satisfied to convert at 1:1 ratio. Thank you.

Thanks

Re: Best rates in Bangkok, currency exchange shops.

I always use Wasu on the corner of Sukhumvit soi 9. They are usually the best rate.
    Last edited by Marie; 10-10-12 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Changed the word "rat" to "rate".

Thanks

they will convert through baht, no matter what. UCB (??) usually has the best rates of all banks.
    warning: clean dollar bills are always a problem. I spent 2 days running around looking for dollars in 2010. then I always ended up having to exchange at the airport, where it's easy, but the rates are a lot worse. and they indeed have to be spotless! reject any bills that are not perfect or they will be useless here. also: 100 dollar notes have better rates than any other. much better. and you won1t need a lot of small dollar notes anymore because everyone seems to want kyat, before taxis, hotels etc only took dollars. so, I would make sure I have about 200 dollars in 10, 20 notes, for tickets and fees, and the rest in 100 notes only. you can now change kyat at the airport so the taxi won't be a problem. enjoy your stay.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Betti For This Useful Post:

billyboy (11-10-12), Marie (10-10-12)

Thanks

It's better not to carry 20.000,00 USD with you, maybe if they have widely ATM machine or any western reliable bank over there.

Thanks

they don't. only cash works. and it is dead serious, people run out of cash regularly, according to embassies. there is no Western Union, nothing, for emergencies, short of buying an Air Asia ticket online and leaving early.
    prices are WAY higher than Lonely Planet states, more tourists and limited hotel options meant prices doubled in a year.
    anyone who needs 20000 USD for a month (maximum stay for tourist visa) needs a serious checkup with a psychiatrist, though. I spend about 450 a month living here (rent is painfully high), travelling was below 30 dollars a day 2 years ago (+ plane tickets).
    I would appreciate no smartass comments to important questions like this. if you have no clue whatsoever, why don't you just stay quiet. please. there won't always be someone to reply.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Betti For This Useful Post:

Mahindrasarath (11-10-12), Marie (11-10-12)

Thanks

The best rate for exchanging cash can be found at the Superrich at Pratunam. You can find the actual exchange rates here. Last time I went there it was just barely under the listed rate that you would see on xe.com so their commission is very low. I remember taking some pictures of rates the exact same day at other exchanges and they were about .15 baht lower than Superrich. It's about a 10 minute walk from the BTS Chit Lom station. It's just past the Big C, across the small river bridge and to the right if you are walking north. There are a whole bunch of branches in that area.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to badfish For This Useful Post:

Betti (11-10-12)

Thanks

good to know Badfish. I had a nightmare (and very limited time) to exchange my stack of dollars to baht and deposit in my Thai account. I sorta hate walking around with thousands of dollars but there isn't much else you can do with money here in Burma. sighed with relief when it was safely in a Thai bank.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    good to know Badfish. I had a nightmare (and very limited time) to exchange my stack of dollars to baht and deposit in my Thai account. I sorta hate walking around with thousands of dollars but there isn't much else you can do with money here in Burma. sighed with relief when it was safely in a Thai bank.
    One of my friends has them come out to his condo to exchange. I'm not sure what the requirement is but they have come out to exchange for him in the past though he is quite wealthy. I found this guide here which says to go to the blue/green one which is called SuperRich Thailand for the best rate. I heard these are owned by the same family. I've only tried the Orange one because there are more of them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

In my vast experience every exchange booth, large or small, of the large Thai banks give you the same exchange rate. I do not believe anything contrary this rule for large currencies like USD, AUD, EUR etc. Hotels and guesthouses, however, will give you a poor exchange rate.

Thanks

SuperRich at BTS Chidrom Station have a good rate.

Thread Information