Blog Entries
    Thanks

US President Barack Obama in Bangkok on 18-19 November 2012

Its only been a few days since the re-election of Barack Obama as the President of the US. Now comes the news from the White House that US President Barack Obama will be visiting Thailand this month. It is part of a three-leg tour from 17th to 20th November that will also take in Cambodia and Myanmar. In Cambodia, the president will attend the East Asia summit in Phnom Penh and meet with leaders of ASEAN. According to Thai media, the US President will arrive in Thailand on the afternoon of 18th November. He will then stay the night before flying to Cambodia. The White House has not confirmed these dates yet.

US Ambassador to Thailand @KristieKenney tweeted this morning: Its official! President Obama to visit Bangkok this month!. Although this is the first time for a US President to visit Cambodia and Myanmar while still in office, this will be the 7th time for Thailand. The US and Thailand have had diplomatic relations for 180 years. The first recorded contact between Thailand (then known as Siam) and the United States came in 1818, when an American ship Captain visited the country, bearing a letter from U.S. President James Monroe. A Treaty of Amity and Commerce was first signed on 20th March 1833.

For the latest news about the official visit by US President Barack Obama to Thailand please follow me on Twitter @RichardBarrow. The official hashtag is #BOrakBKK. The letters BO stand for Barack Obama. The word rak is Thai and means love. The final word is BKK which obviously stands for Bangkok. So, it reads as Barack Obama loves Bangkok.

OFFICIAL VISITS BY US PRESIDENTS TO THAILAND:

1. October 1966 President and Mrs. Johnson make a State Visit to Thailand. King Bhumipol presents the President with an honorary doctorate in Political Science from Chulalongkorn University.
    2. December 1967: President Johnson visits the US Airbase in Khorat. In the same year, their Majesties King Bhumipol and Queen Sirikit visit the United States a second time.
    3. July 1969 President Richard M. Nixon visits Bangkok and is presented a key to the city by Chalit Kulkanthorn, Mayor of Bangkok
    4. November 1996: President and Mrs. Clinton visit Thailand in celebration of the 50th anniversary of His Majestys accession to the throne. President Clinton is awarded a Degree of Doctor of Economics honoris causa from Chulalongkorn University.
    5. October 2003: President Bush visits Thailand to attend the 11th Asian Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Summit meeting.
    6. August 2008 President George W. Bush visits Thailand

In 1971, California Governor Ronald Reagan visited Bangkok as President Nixons representative. Visit the US Embassy Bangkok website for a timeline on key events in US-Thai relations. Wiki also has this article.

Thanks

Re: US President Barack Obama in Bangkok on 18-19 November 2012

Welcome Back.

Thanks

I wonder where he will be staying...
    My guess is the St Regis Residences.

Anybody else wanna have a guess?
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 832 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
    I wonder where he will be staying...
    My guess is the St Regis Residences.

Anybody else wanna have a guess?
    New World Lodge/Inn?

David

Thanks

What's the proposed schedule for his visit to Myanmar? It should be interesting. I guess they are dragging him to Naypyitaw anyway. We'll see.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

US President Barack Obama in Bangkok on 18-19 November 2012

Didn't Bush stay at the Grand Hyatt Erawan Hotel? Obama will probably do the same.

- Sent from my iPhone

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here is the latest on the schedule:

US President Barack Obama will officially visit Thailand as a guest of the government from Sunday 18th to Monday 19th November 2012. He has a tight schedule and probably won’t have much time for any sightseeing. He will arrive late afternoon on Sunday and leave the next morning. Scroll down for the map.

SUNDAY 18TH NOVEMBER 2012:

• 3pm (TBC) Obama will arrive at Don Mueang Airport on Sunday afternoon. Met by Deputy-PM (1)
    • 5pm Obama has been granted an audience with HM The King at Siriraj Hospital (2)
    • 6pm Obama will be received by PM Yingluck at Government House (3)
      • Obama will hold bilateral talks with PM Yingluck at Government house
      • Joint Press Conference at Government House
      • PM Yingluck will host a dinner to honour the US president at Government House

• Obama will meet with 600 US Embassy staff at Chulalongkorn University’s sport complex (BP)
    • At the end of the day, Obama will check-in at the Four Seasons Hotel

MONDAY 19TH NOVEMBER:

• Morning (TBC) Obama will fly out of Don Mueang Airport (2)

(1) Interested Media who would like to cover the event, please pre-register with the Embassy of the United States
    (2) Official media only
    (3) Interested Media who would like to cover the event, please pre-register with the Government Spokesmen Bureau by fax number 02 288 4398 or Email: foreignrelationsdep@gmail.com by Thursday 15 November 2012

Map:
    http://maps.google.co.th/maps/ms?msid=210550963008557722983.0004ce7efba74fe98021 7&msa=0&ll=13.825745,100.561981&spn=0.2697,0.308647&source=embed

Thanks

honestly, what can be accomplished in so little time? handshakes, photos..... not sure what the point is of diplomatic visits of this kind, generally speaking....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 853 Posts

I had the same feeling when I first read the schedule. I suppose the talk with Yinkluck might be beneficial, but more in the way of PR might be accomplished by bringing the family for a vacation. But then again the security problems and costs might be prohibitive.

Thread Information