Thanks
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,648 Posts

Beware Facebook hacking app

Beware Facebook hacking app
    Published: 12/11/2012 at 04:47 PMOnline news: Local News

A Facebook fan page warns users that their account information is at risk if they respond to an application which seeks their account information.

Thai-facebook.com tells Facebook users not to reveal their account information when faced with an application known as Facebook Security.

The app looks like a formal security check, asking users to fill in their email addresses, passwords and date-of-birth.

Victims of the application are advised to follow these instructions:

1) For users of Facebook Mobile Text, you can ask to change your account password through your mobile phone by texting OTP to 42665. Immediately log-in and change your password.

2) Users not using Facebook Mobile Text can ask for their account password to be changed via e-mail. Immediately log-in and change your password.

In each case you will be issued with a one-time password you can use to set a new password of your own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	442664.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	18224

BANGKOK POST

Thanks

Re: Beware Facebook hacking app

It seems I may have received email twice for this phishing scam, and I don't get much spam in the account it came to. Could be someone in Thailand fell for it and got their address book hacked, providing my email. I removed the (female) name given and all the links, but this is the text of the message.
    สวัสดี น.ส. *****
    ขออภัยที่คุณประสบปัญหาในการเข้าสู่ระบบบัญชีผู้ใช้ Facebook

กลับไปที่ Facebook ตอนนี้

You can also get password help or login help on Facebook.
    ขอบคุณ
    ทีมงาน Facebook
    Since I almost never go to Facebook and don't generally go by a female name, I was not even tempted. I did do a web search for the mail address this came from and it showed up as one used by scammers. That is a good thing to check before clicking on a link.

Thanks

Re: Beware Facebook hacking app

Facebook already has far too much information on you. And, when you accept any of the "apps" all that information is passed on to the app!

Thread Information