PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai temple to build stray dog compound
    Thanks
    Thai Temple to Build Stray Dog Compound
    Mon May 5, 1:54 PM ET

BANGKOK, Thailand - For thousands of stray dogs wandering the streets of Bangkok where they are increasingly reviled for posing a threat to public health being sent to the 'dog house' may be a good thing.

A Buddhist temple in central Thailand plans to build a five-story shelter for as many as 1,000 street dogs, The Nation newspaper reported Monday, quoting Phra Payom Kalayano, a well-known monk.

The compound, to be built with donated funds at the Wat Suan Kaew temple in Nonthaburi, six miles north of the Thai capital, will feature a playground and a pond for the wayward canines, the report said.

The temple, which already shelters about 200 dogs, will encourage police to select strays from the shelter to train as sniffer dogs, according to The Nation.

The project reportedly was inspired when some people began poisoning strays after a pack of dogs attacked an 11-year-old boy last month in a Bangkok neighborhood.

The boy, who was bitten about 50 times, was treated at a hospital and released several days later.

Stray dogs that roam the streets of Bangkok have become a huge nuisance in recent years, especially during summer months, when they become unusually aggressive.

City authorities last year announced a three-year plan to sterilize more than 120,000 stray dogs but the process has been slow.

Killing the dogs is not considered an option in Thailand, where a majority of the country's 63 million people follow Buddhism, a pacifist religion that prohibits killing any life form.

Also, the country's revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej is a dog lover who has often urged his subjects to adopt stray dogs.

Last year, 37 people died in Thailand from rabies contracted from stray dogs. Bangkok was the worst affected area, with eight deaths.

mel Guest
    I also feel that the stray dogs are a problem in Thailand although it is not the dogs fault. We must remember that they are only animals and can only follow instinct. It was us the human beings that domesticated the animal for our own purposes. It is not the dogs fault that no one loves them and they are left to wander the streets, fend for food etc. In england we have laws to protect our dogs/animals from cruelty. Dog owners must be responsible for their pets. I must note that the problem in Thailand did seem a little better when I retrurned this year compared to my first visit in 2000/1, I especially noticed a difference in Koh Phangan adults & children alike seem to love their dogs much more than before and I often saw thai folk stroking and petting the animals something I had not seen on my first visit to Thailand.

Reflex Guest
    I found it quite interesting with the stray dog situation the last time I was out there. I live in a completely Thai village when I'm there. There was a group of 4 or 5 stray dogs in my Soi. They followed me around and "defended" me from any other strange people or other strays. Might be to do with my dogs being friendly with them or something.

It's a pity to see all these dogs stray. Some with some serious skin diseases too. I agree that laws must be passed to protect these dogs.

Vali Guest
    I think the compound is good, and it sounds very humane. Wats already sort of "adopt" stray dogs a lot by feeding them and I think it is a good precedent to set. They will be living a better life at the compound it seems and it will be easier to sterilise them and control the reproduction.

But a compound for a 1000 is just a start, it will take much more than that.

Thread Information