PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Too many temples, thailand says
    Thanks
    Too many temples, Thailand says
    CNN, Wednesday, May 7, 2003 Posted: 1203 GMT

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- Thai authorities say the country has a glut of Buddhist temples, and they will seek a change of regulations to curb the construction of new ones.

Suthiwong Tantayaphisalsut, director of the National Buddhist Institute, said Wednesday that Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-Ngam had urged his office to come up with new rules to stem the oversupply, which was due to a building boom.

Wissanu on Tuesday said too many new temples were being built, many in defiance of current regulations decreeing that temples must be at least 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) away from each other.

He said campaigns to build new temples often did not take into account the economic circumstances of poor rural people, who contribute because they believe that giving money helps them earn religious merit.

More than 90 percent of Thailand's 63 million people are Buddhists.

There are more than 32,000 temples nationwide, but more than 5,000 are unused or deserted, Suthiwong told The Associated Press. There are about 500,000 monks and novices in Thailand.

"The building of temples is based on the faith of Buddhists who believe that building the temple makes great merit, but considering the state of the economy, people should think twice," Suthiwong said.

He said his institute would impose stricter rules on building new temples -- although he declined to specify what they might be -- and would advise people to renovate unused and derelict temples instead of building new ones.

Thanks

Oopsie...

Impossible!!!! Well, most of the percentage of Thai's are Buddhist so there needs to be temples. At least Thailand has temples. Over here where I live there's just CHURCHES. Too many churches, Anna says LOL.

Thanks

question Temple in the clouds

Last year I visited (very briefly) and beautiful temple (in progress) which my guide only called the temple in the clouds. I would very much like to know it full Buddhist name. I'm pretty sure that we were in the Roi Et area. We went from the temple to Mukdahan, but it was about a 2 hour drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information