Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Super Bowl or Downton Abbey?

I have better things to do than watch sport.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 948 Posts

What do you enjoy, Paul?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 948 Posts

Nu, my daughter likes Downton Abbey, also, in spite of being a very modern young woman. I missed Seasons 1 and 2 as the series wasn't on our local PBS station. I'm hoping they will show it another time.

I love Upstairs Downstairs, too and wouldn't mind seeing it again too.

I usually prefer the book to the movie or series, but this time I'm sure the story would not be the same without Maggie Smith and the entire cast.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Nu (07-02-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    I would like to see Super Bowl champions play a top rugby union team without all their body armour and helmets and then see how good they really are. Maybe not put them up against the All Blacks to begin with.

David
    David i think there not comparable totally different games, how would you start? Union with crash helmets? or American foot ball with Scums!!! ha ha

Now they did do Rugby Union v Rugby League! I'm from Bath and they were the Champions at the time, Bath got smashed at League and only just won the Union!

League were already Pros and the Union were just starting being Pro. Now its about 10 years since Union sides have been Pro and you dont get any of the old fat props or small wingers anymore.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 867 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ian71 View Post
    David i think there not comparable totally different games, how would you start?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...nd_rugby_union

David

Thanks

I would like to see Super Bowl champions play a top rugby union team without all their body armour and helmets and then see how good they really are. Maybe not put them up against the All Blacks to begin with.

David
    Pretty much illustrates why I don't care much for team sports. Also, not drinking probably has a lot to do with it.

Thanks

David
    Union is a very complex game! It must be difficult even for League players to cross over. So you would be asking a lot of American footballers.

There are mixed rules tournaments of Australian and Irish football at the end of each season, which is possible because the two games have much the same "feel" (with Australian football having more physical tackling). The Irish players always demonstrate their hugely superior skills with the round ball.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

Thanks

To me these 2 games are so far apart its like hearing a politician talk and say that something black is white!!! for me the only thing the same is the shape of the ball.

I think if both codes tried a game each against each other it would be a high score to a low or nil score when trying the opposite game, but the chances of the above 2 codes playing i would say are nil. Both have high skill levels and both complex rules to understand for the opposite to have any sort of chance to be a competitive game.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,770 Times in 984 Posts

Sports or award-winning soap? At present I don't watch both. But if given an opportunity I might be torn between the two. I love to watch sports -practically any kind-IF I have a favorite team playing. I even relish such slow-paced games like golf or baseball. To me it's all about who is playing.

In the past I couldn't endure soaps so much- what with the typical excessive crying and screaming in them. But my research on Korean soaps somewhat altered my attitude. My study focused on Hallyu the Korean wave, a term that refers to the popularity of Korean entertainment, culture, food and language in other countries, particularly in East and Southeast Asia, and how it helped boost Korean economy. But I got more fascinated by the technical aspects of how Korean soaps became more artful as compared to its neighbors and the Latin American counterparts which once dominated the global market.

And now I have learned that Downtown Abbey " has won numerous accolades, including a Golden Globe Award for Best Miniseries or Television Film and a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Miniseries. It was recognised by Guinness World Records as the most critically acclaimed English-language television series of 2011, and became the international television series to receive the largest number of nominations in the history of the Primetime Emmy Awards, with twenty-seven in total. It was the most watched television series on both ITV and PBS, and subsequently became the most successful British costume drama series since the 1981 television serial of Brideshead Revisited. By the third series, it had become one of the most widely watched television shows in the world. "

I am naturally curious why all those recognitions.

Thanks

what I'd like to see is the brain scans of these fabulous players.... there must be some "football player syndrome" already in the books....

Thread Information