Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,094 Posts

Re: Super Bowl or Downton Abbey?

There has been much media talk lately (and finally) about the affect of repeated concussions. At least this will finally produce more research concerning brain disorders of all kinds, including those which are not caused by injury.

Along with that comes more concern about protective head gear in particular for young players.

Thanks

Soap or "highbrow period drama"? I prefer the later. Of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Soap or "highbrow period drama"? I prefer the later. Of course.
    Out of curiousity, your comment made me look up the origin of the term. I had always wondered what it really meant but never bothered to find out--until today. In the US, it is said that ~
    A soap opera, often referred to as a "soap", is an ongoing, episodic work of dramatic fiction presented in serial format on radio or as television programming. The origin of the term ‘soap opera/drama’ comes from the fact that in the 1930’s, the advertisements were often from soap manufacturers, targeting their products at women who were the main viewers of daytime programmes.

I have watched a few soaps produced in Mexico (they are called telenovela), Philippines (also called telenovela ), Thailand (called lakorn?), and Taiwan (called Taiwan Dishanishu or TD/TWD dramas) . Unfortunately the ones I saw didn't impress me at all. There was one telenovela in the Philippines which I really found so inferior in many respects that I got disturbed and took pains to write the network to give them detailed critique. They didn't send me an official reply, but later on somebody explained to me that most of their programs cater to particular target audiences. Too bad maybe I didn't belong to those target viewers. However, as I mentioned earlier, many Korean miniseries, especially their period sagas, quite appeal to me.

Maybe the term 'soap' carries a lowbrow connotation? Not sure, but whatever we call it I imagine that Downtown Abbey, with all the awards it has garnered, must be outstanding.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Susana (09-02-13)

Thanks

I confess to having a bit of a snooty attitude toward soaps. I guess I don't have much to be snooty about, otherwise! Actually, they have given many housewives (of the old days, anyway), elderly people and shut-ins something to look forward to each day. I don't know if my mother ever watched them or not. She would never have admitted to it. One day I got home from school early and she actually had the radio on. It just about shocked the living daylights out of me! So who knows, she may have been a closet soap watcher as well.

I've tried Mexican soaps to help improve my Spanish, but I just cannot get interested. I can watch documentaries & news in Spanish, but that's about it. I prefer the music, of course.

Maybe Downton Abbey is a soap for those of us who think ourselves above soap watching. Doesn't matter, I'll watch it anyway.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (09-02-13)

Thanks

What do you enjoy, Paul?
    I would rather watch a comedy or a documentary.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

Susana (09-02-13)

Thanks

Oh no! We enjoy the same things!

The trouble with most comedy, however, is that I usually don't find it funny. I guess different people have a different comedic sense, as well as enjoying documentaries about different subjects.

Do you enjoy any particular tv comedy show, Paul? Or any particular actor? What do you enjoy documentaries about?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,958 Times in 1,069 Posts

The trouble with most comedy, however, is that I usually don't find it funny. I guess different people have a different comedic sense...
    Spot on, Susana! Very true.

Many years ago my friends and I, just for the heck of it, took a test on what type of sense of humor we had. Fifty pictures were shown and we answered whether we found each one funny or not. I have forgotten how many categories of humor were mentioned; I just remember what type mine predominantly was. (It’s called ‘Incongruous’) And it turned out my companions’ sense of humor profiles slightly differed from mine. That just shows that what is funny to one might be corny to others.

But apart from this type of sense of humor that each person inherently has, there are other factors to contend with for someone to find a show/situation/joke/comment hilarious. This accounts for the scenario where the whole house might be roaring with laughter but other people in the audience are wondering what is funny. This must be because they come from another 'culture'.

It is said that where we grew up and other related circumstances affect what we find funny. This SOCIOLOGICAL aspect is about the fact that sharing social backgrounds leads to common shared humor. Meaning, persons who belong to the same group or the same country share common humor. It seems every culture shapes the people living in it. Thus, humor being basically culture-based and language-based ( that’s why translated jokes often lose their funniness) gives birth to such terms as “English humour” or “German humor”, for example. People from other countries may not appreciate such types of humor because they may not share the same picture of the world, so to speak.

(Last month I was chatting with a German member in English and it must be very frustrating for him that he needed to explain most of his wisecracks--which killed the wit!--because I didn't understand them, because I was 'outside of his culture'. I bet he will not banter with me again. LOL )

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Susana (16-02-13)

Thanks

Do you enjoy any particular tv comedy show, Paul? Or any particular actor? What do you enjoy documentaries about?
    I don't watch a movie based on who the actor is, I prefer movie producers who spend more on production quality than actors wages. I like documentaries on history, structures, machinery, space and animals.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

Susana (18-02-13)

Thread Information