Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,998 Times in 1,817 Posts

Re: Super Bowl or Downton Abbey?

Shame on him! lol

Emu, there is an Aussie drama I have been watching too. "A Place To Call Home"

Thanks

Downton Abbey finale is tonight. After last week's episode I am more convinced than ever that Michael will return. They did all but give it away. But on the other hand, what if I am wrong? Don't tell me. I want to enjoy every juicy bit!

And what will we Americans do without our weekly Downton fix? Well, Grantchester is coming soon, along with Mr. Selfridge. For me, two seasons of Mr. S. was enough.

Hopefully Indian Summers and Poldark will follow before long. I've been preparing myself for Indian Summers by watching the documentary "Empires" on Acorn TV.

I'm assuming these shows are available in Thailand, also, online if not on tv. Is anyone else watching?

Thanks

It was a great super bowl though!

Thanks

The finale happened a week later than I thought, since PBS decided to interject a fund raiser last week. So the title of this thread was changed to "Democratic Debate or Downton Abbey?" I sided with the British on this one, but fell asleep just as Anna went into labor. No problem, I can watch it all again on Roku.

Ok, so I was wrong. It happens often , and the story had moved along too far to bring back the dead.

Thanks

One last word :

Julian Fellowes' letter to American fans

Dear Followers of Downton Abbey,

I cannot now remember what we expected from the American release of Downton Abbey. We had been a big success in the United Kingdom, bigger than most of us had dared to hope, but it is never safe to assume that a programme will go well in other countries. So it was a tremendous pleasure to realize that the U.S. audience had taken the show to its heart. It is my experience that when the Americans love, they love deeply and powerfully, and, in this case, it has proved to be a love that endured the test of time. I have never encountered anything more heartening than the fervour of our fans' support and I am both humbled and grateful for it.

I have often been asked whether the character of the American heiress, Cora, née Levinson, was originally devised as a sprat to catch the mackerel of American interest. She wasn't, in fact. I wanted to have one member of the inner family who was free of the automatic class prejudices and philosophies that would govern the thinking of the rest of the Crawley clan, and one way to achieve this was to make Lady Grantham one of that tide of young heiresses who crossed the Atlantic in the 1870s, '80s and '90s, to save—or at least to delay the collapse of—a way of life under threat. That meant I could have one voice, right at the centre of the proceedings, which did not automatically assume that the British upper classes had the answer to everything. But if the wonderful Elizabeth McGovern did make it easier for American audiences to relate to the show, then that only puts me even further in her debt.

Now our time is up and we have to come to the end, at least of the television series. There may be a movie—I hope there will be—and there may be a stage play or a musical. I have heard all of them mooted. But the series is ending and that decision will not be reversed. We wanted to leave while we would still be missed and not wait until everyone was dying to see the back of us. I hope and believe we have avoided that. I am sorry in a way, of course, but also proud and fairly amazed to have been part of something that brought so much pleasure to so many men and women all around the world. That said, we must always remember that it is the audience that makes a success. The programme-makers are responsible for the show, but it is the audience that turns it into a hit, and for that the American public has earned my profound gratitude. Thank you.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/...n=downton_2016

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (12-03-16), taszmaniac (12-03-16)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,533 Times in 2,889 Posts

Interesting to note that Winston Churchill's mother, nee Jennie Jerome, was one the young American heiresses that married a cash strapped English title.

Why did so many noble families suddenly become poor? The huge growth of far cheaper imports of prairie grown wheat from Canada and USA left them with prices they could not compete with and subsequently large estates of mainly very low profit farm land, for the most part rented out to tenant farmers who could not afford to diversify in a big way.
    Selling agricultural land was not an option as it was so cheap due to the problem itself.

Also, the aristocracy at that time did not directly engage in any form business-it was considered below them-and anyway, few had the education or life experience/acumen to do so. (This slowly changed in time to some extent with the minor aristocracy, who were not blessed with American money, out of necessity-minor sons working in the City and 'marrying down' into the families of industrialists, and saving the family money in the process, but losing some traditional family dignity in the process.)

Enter American tycoons with eligible daughters , willing to pay a very handsome dowry for a marriage into the one thing money could not buy.

Nobility.

(World War One was, of course the complete game changer, and the start of the relatively rapid downhill slide of the old aristocratic order, a process kick started by the Estate Duty Act 1894 which unified and significantly increased existing levels of various death duties and led to the break up of large estates for the first time since the Norman conquest! The 1929 Stock Market crash was also to play a significant role)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Susana (13-03-16)

Thread Information