Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,098 Posts

Re: What is the most unusual food you've ever tried in Thailand?

Quote Originally Posted by RickThai View Post
    As a kid growing up in Kentucky I used to go frog gigging. It is a rather brutal sport of wading around ponds and lakes at night with a head lamp on, dodging bats (which go for the bugs your light attracts) and snakes. Once you spot the frogs by the reflection from their eyes, you slip up and stab them with a 3-pronged spear. Not exactly fun for the squeamish.

My favorite recipe involves par-boiling the legs (hind legs only) with a squeeze of lemon juice, and then dipping them in an egg wash and rolling them in cracker crumbs. Pan fry on both sides. Really tasty (better than chicken IMO).

RickThai
    I see frog gigging in your neck of the woods requires enormous guts and precision. While you're at it you could have gone for the bats and snakes, too. They also taste like chicken!

Your style of cooking frogs reminds me of a French recipe--also with lemon, then with butter and parsley,

Thanks
    Thanked 1,872 Times in 1,136 Posts

RickThai, I didn't finish reading your post, being one of those squeamish types, but I did happen to see you came from Ky. I spend my teen years in Louisville, which is not exactly frog gigging area, even back then.

Sorry for getting off topic, I just wanted to squeeze this in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    RickThai, I didn't finish reading your post, being one of those squeamish types, but I did happen to see you came from Ky. I spend my teen years in Louisville, which is not exactly frog gigging area, even back then.

Sorry for getting off topic, I just wanted to squeeze this in.
    Susana,

Small world, isn't it?

I grew up in Madisonville, which is a small town in southwestern KY (about 60 miles from Nashville, TN). As a young teenager (got my first gun at age 14), I quickly learned to love hunting and fishing. Frog gigging was somewhere in between the two, but wading around in water where cotton mouth water moccasins live, did make it kind of thrilling at times (I always felt sorry for the frogs though).

Marie,

Not sure I could stomach a bat (although I understand they eat fruit bats in some parts of Indonesia) , although I might try a snake if it is properly butchered! Bats and rats are just plain creepy to me. I don't even want to touch them, much less eat them.

RickThai

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RickThai For This Useful Post:

Susana (12-07-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RickThai View Post
    Marie,

Not sure I could stomach a bat (although I understand they eat fruit bats in some parts of Indonesia) , although I might try a snake if it is properly butchered! Bats and rats are just plain creepy to me. I don't even want to touch them, much less eat them.

RickThai
    LOL I am only all gab! I wouldn't also touch bats and snakes. Though I like eels-something I picked up from the Japanese. Am guessing snakes taste like eels?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 942 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Am guessing snakes taste like eels?
    I thought it was like chicken...

David

Thanks

TBH, to prove a point I had made a bet with somebody that you were going to say something like this~

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan
    I thought it was like chicken...
    And I won the bet!

Also, I said this on purpose, carefully-worded:
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie
    While you're at it you could have gone for the bats and snakes, too. They also taste like chicken!
    Did you notice the emoticons used? As I have told someone here who would read this now-

..." it's like a chicken" is meant as a joke, sort of generic reply, a way out in a flippant fashion when one doesn't want to take the trouble of explaining in details. It can't even be about taste. It can be about anything!
    David, this is a lighthearted topic where dogmatism should not come in. People have their own ways of seeing, feeling, tasting, and saying things different from how you do. Others sometimes want to let their hair down in their own style, with their own brand of humor. And if to them something "is like chicken" (Oh, dear, this is starting to sound ridiculous now, LOL) should we have to take issue with that if we would rather put it differently ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 942 Posts

My reply that I thought its like chicken was attempted humour too hence the winking emoticon.

David

Thread Information