Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Thanks

Re: What is the most unusual food you've ever tried in Thailand?

For me, i dont see Bugs as a needed source of protein. Ill stick the standard chicken,beer or pork, and lamb when at home.

I've been Australia many times but one time i went to Centrepoint Tower or known to some as AMP Tower and went to the Revolving restaurant near the top, great fun trying to find your seat once you've got some food, As its gone from the position you left it! ahh

But the buffet food i had was of animals i've never tried and slight problem i mixed them all on one plate! so i might be wrong on a few descriptions here, but i thought, Camel was tough as old boots and stringy with fat in between the meat! Crocodile was a fishy tasting chicken, and Kangaroo was cross between Chicken and pork, very nice.

Now all the fuss in the Europe about horse, i wonder if pure horse meet would actually be like good lean beef? well should be as no one has noticed the difference for years in burgers? as mentioned above, some places in South east Asia dont have many stray dogs around!!!! would that be like beef or pork? or camel!!!! ahhhhh

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ian71 View Post
    Now all the fuss in the Europe about horse, i wonder if pure horse meet would actually be like good lean beef?
    It has a stronger, more "game" taste than beef, and contains less fat so is easy to overcook if you're not careful. And it is actually more healthy for you than beef.

David

Thanks

Wow...what an interesting website,thanks David. I'll give it a try ( and hopefully the package will pass the random check from US customs ) hahaha...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to siamruby For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (22-02-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by siamruby View Post
    Tod, you're quite adventurous there. Giant water bug แมงดา has such unique scent. Some people said it's like skunk hahaha...anyway,I like it sometimes. I wish I could find canned ones.
    You can probably go to certain asian stores and find them frozen. I'm not sure if they would taste good canned. My grandmother likes to make it into some sort of hot sauce that you can eat with other dishes. I do agree they do have a little smell to them.

Thanks

There is an old Singaporean (probably of Chinese ethnic origin) saying that a dog can always recognize a person who has eaten his/her comrades by the smell (odour?) of dog meat permeating from that human's body. Hence if a dog who is usually friendly to humans bark uncharacteristically at a person each time that dog sees him/her, then that is because the dog can smell out that person to be a dog-eater

Regarding the unusual things I have eaten in Thailand, they are nothing too off the beaten tracken. Deepfried and salted mealworms and fried fish skin will be it. Since the former tastes like fried salted nuts and the latter like the Thai fried, seasoned seaweed junkfood of the brand Tao Gei Noi, I see no reason to eat them anymore. Not sure if young (unripe jackfruit) curry considers as unusual, but here, I am cheating a bit. Namely, it is a Thai dish (as well as Indian and Indonesian dish) which I got the idea from an online Thai curry recipe. My Thai frd tried my modified version of it (using Singaporean/Malaysian curry paste) and said it tasted very good, hence I think having passed her taste test, it might make do as an er-hum unusual Thai dish I have tried. Now I love it to bits, although very shockingly, unripe jackfruit is next to impossible to find in Singapore, an ironically Southeast Asian country, while I can find it quite easily in Australian oriental stores (usually in canned versions). I guess my best bet to get it in Singaporew will be a shopping trip to Golden Mile Complex (dubbed Little Thailand). Now, hoping to use it to make a vegan version of the celebrated Indian dish, butter chicken (since young jackfruit has a texture not unlike that of cooked chicken breast meat), though it will now have to be known as 'maybe margarine young jackfruit LOL
    Last edited by yy; 23-02-13 at 09:03 AM.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks

I think it was a bad idea to come on this topic during lunch hour. I'm hungry!! I still can't get over the mentality of eating bugs. My mom loves them!!! My brother does too, but I just can't manage to eat them yet. I think the wierdest thing that I've ate was probably cow blood that's been hardened. I'm not sure how they make it but we put it in verminicelli noodle curry and Lao/Thai chicken noodle soup. I don't know the English names of those dishes, but I loveeeeeee it!!!!

Thanks

Oh I forgot to mention... I love badak too! It's fermented fish sauce we use to make papaya salad! Smells horrible, but tastes delish. I like shrimp paste too. I read somewhere about watermelon and salt. I use to dip my watermelon in this spicy sauce which is sugar, salt, ground up toasted rice, msg, lime, pepper, and fish sauce. You can probably Youtube the sauce and try it! Very satisfying to my acidic and spicy taste buds!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,150 Times in 342 Posts

I think my most unusual food was a meal called khung jen , not sure if spelt right, otherwise known as the dancing shrimp. It was live baby shrimp in a spicy salad. It felt strange eating the live shrimp but was okay. I have eaten this in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Billy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    I think my most unusual food was a meal called khung jen , not sure if spelt right, otherwise known as the dancing shrimp. It was live baby shrimp in a spicy salad. It felt strange eating the live shrimp but was okay. I have eaten this in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

Billy.
    It is Kung Ten กุ้งเต้น. I never tried that one, but I like Kung chae nam plaa กุ้งแช่น้ำปลา sea prawn (not too big) in spicy fish sauce, raw but not dancing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rori For This Useful Post:

billyboy (01-12-13)

Thanks

I don't think I was brave enough to try and eat the jumping shrimp. I was afraid of how it would feel once they're in my mouth jumping around lol

Thread Information