Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Re: What is the most unusual food you've ever tried in Thailand?

For that thousandYO egg, also known as the century egg, it tastes so much better if u have it with Thai sweet chilli sauce. Or, some people love it with prickled ginger slices. Anything with a bit of sweet savouriness plus bit of spiciness. It is my favourite egg of all times. But I have since stopped eating it. Maybe in future when I have some space to keep my own chickens and eggs, I can make some of my own.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,535 Times in 1,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by issanboy View Post
    I've eaten ice cream on a hamburger bun but that was in MNL. Never had it in thailand.
    Same with me. Had it in the Philippines but not in Thailand. Apart from hamburger buns, Filipinos also like to eat ice cream on saltine crackers or with sugary, crisp, buttery long sphere- like sticks called burquillos (Spanish inspired). It was in Thailand, though, where I had my first taste of ice cream with coconut milk. It's divine! We were on a tour in an elephant camp when I spotted some touirists flocking a stall vending it. One serving was not enough for me- I had a second one.

One of the most unfamiliar beverages I had in Thailand was Oliang ( โอเลี้ยง)- iced drink which blends the coffee together with soybeans, corn, sesame seeds, and other additives. That's what the family I was staying with drank. They didn't have ordinary coffee. As the saying goes, when in Rome do as the Romans do. So when in Thailand I had Oliang with gusto!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Susana (09-02-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

I guess this is all about perspective, I think if you were to ask my Thai relatives what is the most unusual food I have eaten in Thailand they would say cheese or iogwrt. Not one of them would try either of these two foods.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,911 Posts

Mr. X hated cheese and anything dairy, which was understandable to me. But he couldn't stand the smell of fish either, and couldn't tolerate hot peppers.

Marie, the only thing better than coconut ice cream is coconut ice cream with lime ice cream.

I like my saltines with a drop of strawberry preserves on top and a cup of hot tea. It's the perfect afternoon snack!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (10-02-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yy View Post
    For that thousandYO egg, also known as the century egg, it tastes so much better if u have it with Thai sweet chilli sauce. Or, some people love it with prickled ginger slices. Anything with a bit of sweet savouriness plus bit of spiciness. It is my favourite egg of all times. But I have since stopped eating it. Maybe in future when I have some space to keep my own chickens and eggs, I can make some of my own.
    Try pad kaprao (Thai basil stir fry) with the TYO eggs!! I had it and love it. Fry it dry and make crispy basil..yummm!!

Thanks

I was teaching afternoon and evening classes. Always concerned for my safety, my father-in-law would pick me up. He always had something for me to drink, and often soup or some special dish for himself, which he would share with me when we got home.

Two dishes in particular stand out in my mind as being unusual, and they are:

A bowl of soup which had a webbed foot and an eyeball staring up at me. I stirred and stirred and stirred. Finally Khun Paw asked why I wasn't eating, so I told him. No problem. It was a great delicacy and he was glad to have it all for himself!

Another time he brought home a dish of little birds, fried crispy. I was picking at mine, trying to get some meat off those poor little bones, when he picked up one, popped it into his mouth and crunched away!

If these stories seem familiar, it is because, yes, I have told them before. My apologies. The good news is that I still remember them!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

siamruby (10-02-13)

Thanks

Susana,I don't blame you for about the soup,I would too! hahaha...wonder what of animal was it in there??? As for fried little birds,I would assume they were quail. I've never tried one, but I've heard many Thais love them that way.

Thanks

I believe the soup was duck soup. Duck soup with noodles was my very favorite, but of course without the eyeballs, beaks, and feet!

Thanks

iogwrt????????
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    iogwrt????????
    Sorry. yoghurt, it's one of those words that are the same in Welsh but with our own spelling that I am more familiar with. Such as ambiwlans (ambulance) and tacsi (taxi.)

David

14. The Following User Says Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

siamruby (12-02-13)

Thread Information