Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,134 Times in 1,911 Posts

Si Racha or SeeRATcha ?

I want to cringe everytime I hear Emeril Lagasse (of the tv cooking show) say seeRATcha sauce, with emphasis on the middle syllable. Now there is a commerical for seeRATcha flavored chips (or some such junk) with the same pronounciation.

My memory of going to the seaside town Si Racha with my father-in-law is a fond one which I cherish. Am I incorrect in remembering it pronounced more like SEE-ra-cha? Should I stop cringing and simply grin and bear it?

Thanks

Re: Si Racha or SeeRATcha ?

No Susana, you should not just grin and bear it. That Emeril guy also slaughters the English language and I cringe whenever I hear him say anything at all.
    Ӽ

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

Hi Susana, have you got a link for us to look at?
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,061 Posts

Thai people always put emphasis on the last syllable of any Western word. Yet, I usually understand.

What is ironic, at least to me, is that Thai people can rarely understand me when I put the emphasis on the wrong syllable.

I went on and on trying to order a mocha moolatte from DQ. Finally, someone realized I was trying to pronounce mo-KAAA!

Thanks

Hi Fileep, I looked for the commercial on You Tube but couldn't find it. I heard my father-in-law mention Si Racha so much that I am fairly confident that I remember the pronounciation correctly, but now I am hearing it pronounced this new way which has me doubting myself.

Sigh . . . just when I thought I had everyone straight about Thailand and Taiwan, and have taught numerous people to NOT say Thigh-land!

Nam phyyng, I believe Emeril was born and raised in Boston and later opened his first restaurant in New Orleans. Both of those places have their own unique accents.

Thanks

Curt, I frequently had the same experience when speaking with a native Thai speaker.

Thanks

Little known fact, the Sriracha sauce that everyone knows and loves isn't Thai at all. It was actually invented a family friend of mine here in the States, Vietnamese guy, and it's made here in the US. He spends basically nothing advertising and it's all by word of mouth. Many companies have tried to copy the sauce and just can't get it right, there is no substitute. I have 5 cases in my garage right now for my restaurant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 638 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post

I believe Emeril was born and raised in Boston and later opened his first restaurant in New Orleans. Both of those places have their own unique accents.
    Born in Fall River, Massachussetts, to a Canadian Quebecois father and a Portuguese mother.

David

Thanks

Badfish, I had read or heard something similar to that information, but was still under the impression that it was invented by a Vietnamese Thai in Si Racha, with production also in California. It's good to have the correct information.

How does your friend pronounce it? Is the name intentionally named after Si Racha, Thailand? Or is that just a coincidence?

Thread Information