Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Si Racha or SeeRATcha ?

It is pronounced at See Raa Cha (as guava said), it is Thai sauce originally, named after the name of District Sri Racha, Chon Buri. It is chili sauce meant to have with seafoods. Sri Racha Panich was the company who made it first, and was bought by another company and rebranded to Golden Mountain Sri Raja chili sauce. I googled and found there is another company Huy Fong Foods makes this similar sauce in USA but different in texture, color and taste.
    The fact is thai foods are mistakenly claimed to be other nations, ie. thai green curry was patented by american.

I think now the term 'sri racha' becomes a type of sauce not brand name, therefore there are many brands of sri racha chili sauce.
    Last edited by Rori; 28-02-13 at 07:21 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rori For This Useful Post:

guava (28-02-13), issanboy (05-03-13), Susana (28-02-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,919 Posts

Thank you, Rori. That clears up the confusion.

The one I have is the Huy Fong brand, made in California. It is sold in nearly every grocery store here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rori View Post
    It is pronounced at See Raa Cha (as guava said), it is Thai sauce originally, named after the name of District Sri Racha, Chon Buri.
    The sauce that most people are familiar with is the Huy Fong brand, rooster sauce, founded by David Tran. The sauce while named after Sriracha in Thailand actually has nothing to do with the sauce he created. He was making sauces in Vietnam well before he created the one that most people associate with the name Sriracha. It's a common misconception that it has Thai roots, but the only association is by name, nothing else. The rooster is his Chinese zodiac sign. He would make so much more money if he just advertised, but he's actually quite proud of the fact that he hasn't advertised.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badfish View Post
    The sauce that most people are familiar with is the Huy Fong brand, rooster sauce, founded by David Tran. The sauce while named after Sriracha in Thailand actually has nothing to do with the sauce he created.
    So do you agree with Rori and I, on how it should be pronounced ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,084 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badfish View Post
    The sauce that most people are familiar with is the Huy Fong brand, rooster sauce, founded by David Tran. The sauce while named after Sriracha in Thailand actually has nothing to do with the sauce he created. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by guava View Post
    The pronunciation of the name, since it is, indeed, a name, would depend on David Tran, the person who named it, regardless of spelling.

One thing is for sure. In your question, the word "I" should be "me", since it is an object of the preposition "with".

Thanks

The way I grew up saying it was suh-ree-ratcha but the suh part is really fast and almost inaudible so it is said the way it is . I think most Vietnamese people who immigrated here say it that way, but the second generation kids say see-ratcha. But it's really a Thai word so it should be pronounced as such IMO.

I just spent 1 hour yesterday talking to my Thai employees about how to say eclair and what an eclair actually is. They say a-clair and call cream puffs aclairs. Then the conversation shifted to Pizza Company and how pizzas should not be eaten with ketchup and mayo.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to badfish For This Useful Post:

guava (01-03-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    One thing is for sure. In your question, the word "I" should be "me", since it is an object of the preposition "with".
    Thank you so much for your correction.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,887 Times in 1,084 Posts

Thank you so much for your correction.
    Normally, I let grammar Nazis handle any errors.

But, due to the pedantic nature of this thread, I couldn't resist!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Normally, I let grammar Nazis handle any errors.

But, due to the pedantic nature of this thread, I couldn't resist!
    Couldn't resist being a grammar Nazi? Whatever floats your boat

Thanks
    Thanked 3,541 Times in 1,830 Posts

Reminds me of the way "San Jose" (California) is pronounced by most Americans. They would say"San Ho-say", rhyming with "say". ( Other non- Spanish speakers might say "San djoze", "San Hoze" or "San Noze". ) That name is of Spanish origin, and so technically if we follow Spanish pronunciation strictly it should be pronounced "San Ho-seh"-as J is pronounced as H in Spanish, and "se" is always pronounced as "seh".

I must admit that the first times I heard that name mispronounced I couldn't resist murmuring to myself, "San Ho-seh, San Ho-seh". But then what the heck, that place is in America and if the natives wish to pronounce it their own way, who am I to change their tradition?

Thread Information