Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Si Racha or SeeRATcha ?

Then the conversation shifted to Pizza Company and how pizzas should not be eaten with ketchup and mayo.
    I have a Thai friend who puts so much ketchup on pizza company pizzas i was worried the staff might say something!!!!! they nearly emptied the whole bottle!!!

Pronouncing a word, i think its more what the most common way its pronounced rather than where the origin of the word comes from, is the better way to say a word, as mentioned above the original word sometimes wont even be understood by original locals.
    Otherwise you start going down the Potato, Tomato type pronouncing of a word problem!

Thanks

Correct me if I am wrong,Sri Racha ( pronouce SEE -RAA-CHAA ) in a district in Cholbulri province, Thailand. A company under the name Sri Racha Panich ҪҾҳԪ ( later merged with Thai Tepparos Co. Ltd. ) came up with chili sauce formula which was called Sri Racha sauce ʾԡҪ by Thais.Main ingredients of the sauce are distilled vinegar, garlic,sugar and of course Sri Racha chili ( locally grown as claimed by the company years ago, these chili are supposedly less hot,about 4-5 inch long and harvested when they turn orange in color rather than red ) A Vietname-American company Huy Fong Inc. has a copyright on its version of Sri Racha Hot Sauce ( many americans called it a Rooster brand from the logo on a bottle ) however the texture,color,or flavor is very much different from it's original version. At my house,I use Shark brand,it is made in Thailand from nearby area where the first bottle originated more than 40 years ago.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to siamruby For This Useful Post:

billyboy (05-03-13), guava (05-03-13), Rori (05-03-13), Susana (05-03-13)

Thanks

I think that most Thai can't pronounce See Racha rather See Lacha something like that maybe.

Thanks

In e-san its pronounced as nam see-la-sa. Because the "R" is pronounced as an "L" and we do not use the "CH". So every region of thailand you go to, you will hear pronounced in different ways.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to issanboy For This Useful Post:

Susana (05-03-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by siamruby View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong,Sri Racha ( pronouce SEE -RAA-CHAA ) in a district in Cholbulri province, Thailand. A company under the name Sri Racha Panich ҪҾҳԪ ( later merged with Thai Tepparos Co. Ltd. ) came up with chili sauce formula which was called Sri Racha sauce ʾԡҪ by Thais.Main ingredients of the sauce are distilled vinegar, garlic,sugar and of course Sri Racha chili ( locally grown as claimed by the company years ago, these chili are supposedly less hot,about 4-5 inch long and harvested when they turn orange in color rather than red ) A Vietname-American company Huy Fong Inc. has a copyright on its version of Sri Racha Hot Sauce ( many americans called it a Rooster brand from the logo on a bottle ) however the texture,color,or flavor is very much different from it's original version. At my house,I use Shark brand,it is made in Thailand from nearby area where the first bottle originated more than 40 years ago.
    In my posts, I referred to the Huy Fong sauce as the sauce we commonly associate with sriracha. But the truth is David Tran made that sauce from scratch having nothing to do with the Thai version other than the Thai name. You would never think they were the same sauces if you tasted them side by side, both consistency and flavor would tell you they have as much in common as Lousiana Hot Sauce and ketchup. With regards to global recognition, Huy Fong's sauce is the one that wins the awards and is used in cookbooks, so that's why it's the one commonly known as sriracha. So while the originally named version may be the Panich brand, it is original only in name. The name makes the heritage very confusing especially combined with the fact that the latter named product because more successful by a landslide.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to badfish For This Useful Post:

ian71 (05-03-13)

Thanks

Cheers badfish,

You would never think they were the same sauces if you tasted them side by side, both consistency and flavor would tell you they have as much in common as Lousiana Hot Sauce and ketchup.
    Very well put explanation of the sauces taste and makes a clear reason why pronunciation is not important.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by badfish View Post
    The sauce that most people are familiar with is the Huy Fong brand, rooster sauce, founded by David Tran. The sauce while named after Sriracha in Thailand actually has nothing to do with the sauce he created. He was making sauces in Vietnam well before he created the one that most people associate with the name Sriracha. It's a common misconception that it has Thai roots, but the only association is by name, nothing else. The rooster is his Chinese zodiac sign. He would make so much more money if he just advertised, but he's actually quite proud of the fact that he hasn't advertised.
    From the "i" newspaper today:

"Residents of the Californian city of Irwindale are suing Huy Fong Foods, owners of a factory making Sriratcha chilli sauce, seeking to shut down production because of the spicy smell it produces. "It's like having a plate of chilli peppers shoved right in your face," said Ruby Sanchez, who lives across the street from the $40m plant."

David

Thanks
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,959 Posts

I'm not taking sides one way or the other since I've not been there, but still it's sad news.

Here's a story of the sauce: http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-10-2...cha-got-so-hot

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (01-11-13), Rori (01-11-13)

Thanks

This video from Susana link is all you need to know about how say the name and the history, i now assume this is the orange sauce you get at any thai restaurant i thought was just their cross between ketchup and chill sauce, personally i think its nothing special,but tastes good, but i like Nam Jim gai more.Ө

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ian71 For This Useful Post:

Rori (01-11-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,959 Posts

Thanks Ian. I didn't pay attention to the video. I just read the article.

Thread Information