PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
ABC Kecap Manis

Thread: ABC Kecap Manis

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

ABC Kecap Manis

Anyone here likes cooking with Indonesia's well-loved kecap manis?
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Re: ABC Kecap Manis

YY, I couldn't respond without at least knowing what it is, so I asked our friend Google. I found a recipe and now see that it includes soy sauce, brown sugar, galangal root and star anise. Therefore I'm sure it must be good.

How do you use it? A dipping sauce? Ingredient in stir fry?

By the way, YY, it's good to 'see' you again.

Thanks

Haha thanks Susana, yeah, life's been a tad too busy lately... The funny thing is, I myself too haven't used it before, but it sounds like a must-have for Southeast Asian cooking, what with it being said to be the basic ingredient in Indonesian kitchens, and that most Indonesians would have eaten it in at some forms at least once per day. Based on what the internet said, it is good for everything e.g. dipping sauce, for frying rice, for soup etc

I'm now dying to use it.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

Thanks

Me too. In case you want to make your own, the recipe is @ www.whats4eats.com There is also a search tool to the left which allows you to choose recipes for different countries.

I think it would definitely be good with satay and spring rolls. I think mixed with a bit of peanut butter it would be a good dipping sauce for fruit, something crispy like apples. Just off the top of my head . . .

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    I think mixed with a bit of peanut butter it would be a good dipping sauce for fruit, something crispy like apples. Just off the top of my head . . .
    That's a really good idea. What you said sounds like it can also make a good fruit rojak sauce when tamarind juice is added to the equation. Rojak sauce is always mixed with ground peanuts. In case you (or anyone else) are wondering, here is a description of rojak (my favourite salad):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rojak

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Susana (02-03-13)

Thanks

Excellent idea!

This makes me think it could be thinned down a bit for use on a green salad as well. I'm thinking fusion, and ways I could use Kecap Manis without having to learn Indonesian cooking just now.

Thanks

It would be great he there're the links to cook various southeast Asian food.

Thanks

Mahin, I think it is great if you can start off by posting urs ^^

10. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Mahindrasarath (04-03-13)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mahindrasarath View Post
    It would be great he there're the links to cook various southeast Asian food.
    Maybe we can each start with posting some of our favourite recipes. I think I may have something in mind Will love to know some traditional Cambodian vegetarian dishes from you, Mahin. Susana, perhaps you will like to start the ball rolling as you appear to be the best and always creative cook of us here haha...

On another note, I finally got myself down to getting my first kecap manis after consultation with my Indonesian Chinese friend. She recommended the Bango brand instead of the famed ABC, saying Bango tastes better. A comparison of their ingredients showed that Bango is all just the palm sugar, soy beans, salt and water but ABC contains preservatives. As one who often tries to avoid preservatives as much as possible, I find the slightly higher cost justifiable: 620g of ABC in a glass bottle cost AUD3.45 while Bango in a 600g plastic refill bag (which I later transferred to a recycled glass jar) cost AUD3.95. Later, I found a review on kecap manis which seems to support my friends recommendation. In that review, the author said that Bango has a thicker consistency and a more complex taste.

As for me, I am still trying to make sense of how to integrate kecap manis into my dishes. It is sweet and slightly salty at the same time...hmmmm... Maybe with the radish soup?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Mahindrasarath (16-07-13)

Thread Information