Blog Entries
    Thanks

Rub Bua Festival is on Friday 18th October 2013

One of my favourite festivals in Thailand is the Rap Bua Festival in Bang Phli, Samut Prakan. I usually go every year now. In English, the festival translates as "Lotus Receiving Festival". However, it has another name in Thai which I think describes it more accurately. This is "Yon Bua Festival" which translates as the "Lotus Throwing Festival". This is basically what happens as countless thousands of local people line the banks of Samrong Canal to throw lotus flowers onto a boat carrying a replica of the famous Buddha image Luang Poh To. This year it is on Friday 18th October 2013.

This first satellite image shows you the start (1) and finish (3) of the Rub Bua boat parade. The district office is at (2) and the parade pauses here for a ceremony led by the provincial governor. I will be going to all three locations. I first park my car on Theparak Road and take a short cut lane to the starting place for the parade. Once the boat passes I go back to my car and drive around to Wat Bang Phli Yai Klang. I then walked down through the temple to the district office. Once the boat passes here I then walk to the end of the parade route. You have plenty of time to do this. If you don't have a car you can use motorcycle taxis.

This is the start of the boat parade at Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai. The dark lines mark the positions of the thousands of spectators. Good place to take pictures of the crowds but you need to come early. Before 7 a.m. for sure. Don't stand on the bridge as they clear it as the boat comes. The dotted line is the market and there is limited viewing from here.

This shows the district office (2) and the end of the parade where the boats do a u-turn (3). At the end of the parade there is the least number of people and easier to find positions to take pictures. There is also no-one stopping you on the bridge.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Rub Bua Festival is on Friday 18th October 2013

These are some of my photos for the Lotus Throwing Festival in Bang Phli the other year.

Here are some people waiting near the Bang Phli Old Market. They would have to wait at least an hour or so. Some of them had already been there since about 6 a.m.

This is in front of Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai. At about 6.45 a.m., the boat with the Buddha image came by on its way to the starting line. Some people threw their lotus flowers at this time. These people are waiting for the boat to come back. It was wet that year.

Here I have already passed the main road bridge and I am looking back. The police will clear this bridge before the Buddha arrives on the boat so you shouldn't stand in the middle.

These two pictures are local people waiting on their boats for the Buddha to arrive.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is my first glimpse of the boat carrying the revered Buddha image.

In this shot, some people at the starting line are trying to throw their lotus flower onto the lap of the Buddha. If they can do that then their wish will come true. One guy tried too hard and fell into the water. You can see his splash on the left.

This is one of the floats that followed along in the parade.

Here are some of the people waiting for the boat to arrive. I am uploading my video now and will link to it shortly. You really need to watch it to fully appreciate this festival. It is really intense.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is looking back to the road bridge and Wat Bang Phli Yai Nai on the right.

This is a closer look of the road bridge. I think the bridge was cleared of pedestrians and cars as far as here.

This is showing the two motors at the back of the boat carrying the Buddha.

These are some of the men who had to try and catch the lotus flowers and help pile them up around the Buddha.

This is the Buddha image. It is actually a replica of the original but it is still revered.

The rowers in traditional Thai costumes on one of the floats.

The dancing entertainment which helped to add to the atmosphere.

Some of the onlookers saying a quick prayer as the boat carrying the Buddha approached.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

This is a boat carrying some students playing traditional Thai music.

Another look at the road bridge and the view of people behind. This is where most people are waiting.

This is the area in front of the temple. You cannot see here but it is at least ten people thick.

Another shot of the crowds. Some of these people came as early as 6 a.m.

In front of the temple.

The dancers are still at it.

And here comes the boat carrying the Buddha coming out of the sun. You can see here how much they cleared the bridge. It is not good to be standing above the Buddha as it passes below.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Barrow For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (14-10-13)

Thread Information