Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 276774757677
    Thanks

Re: The Emu story-Building a Home in Thailand (PHOTOS & VIDS)

Sorry to report Emu that your attached photo is not displaying. Says "invalid attachment". Just thought I'd let you know. Cheers, keep up the interesting topics. Brad.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bgd57 For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (31-10-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 678 Posts

Thanks Brad. I'm finding that that one shows on my computer, but not my phone.

I will sidetrack a bit from isaan, to our visit to Bangkok for the royal cremation. A very important event for all Thais.

I booked our flights and room back in May, as soon as the dates were announced. I presumed that early booking would make things go smoothly. Haha, no. This is Thailand. Our flight was at 2pm, to suit a 4pm check in. As the demand increased, all airlines put on extra flights, causing congested airspace. our flight was delayed 30 mins in the start. At Don Meuang, we were in a holding pattern for 20 mins. After we landed, we could not disembark for another 20mins, and the icing on that cake, the luggage was 20 mins before appearing. Not a big deal, and it is good that they give many more the opportunity to get there.

Fantastic. Let's go get a taxi. At the taxi area, there were not many people. I mistakenly mentioned that our hotel was near Khao San Rd. Stop sniggering Kr. The taxis refused to go there, saying the road was blocked. Bugger. I know it's not. We walked away, and I downloaded the roadblock map, which clearly showed our hotel outside the roadblock.

Still no deal. Kr, I can hear you. Drag the feet up to the bus stop.
    We were both under the impression from different sources, that buses to the area were free. Not so. 50 baht each on the city A4 bus. An hour trip in traffic, then dumped at the first barricade. Disappointing, because the empty bus continued past our hotel. So the a thirty minute walk, finally arrive at hotel at 7.30. Traffic whizzing past. No road closures in that area. I knew that, but........... Quick shower, off to the fray.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171025_210107.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	22573

The queue we were in was 25 people wide. It advanced about 25 metres at a time, so I guess they were taking in 500 people at a time. The crowd were very relaxed, and just happy to be there. The big problem, was that when the throng move forward, they bunch up. Between each move is an hour or more. Most were left with standing room only. We had the same for more than an hour. very hard going. All of those people at the back of this photo, are stuck upright. I felt for them.

Name:	20171026_044259.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	22574

it was a fairly warm night, and a little stifling with the lack of breeze. the hand fans were copping a thrashing trying to cool the mourners. This was a time to relax, and just tolerate the situation. Many were helped to the waiting ambulances for heat stress, and even heart attacks for some.

Name:	20171026_045246.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	22575

This was where everything stopped. No more mourners were allowed to progress any further. Lucky for us, we were across the road from this big screen, and could watch what was happening inside.

Name:	20171026_083013.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	221.3 KB 
ID:	22576

We had no sleep whatsoever the whole time. After 3 hrs or so watching the screen, we decided to join the crowd that was still moving along, finally exiting the crush. My shoes were off already several hours from blisters. I would only sip water to avoid going to the toilet those 16 hours, so such a relief to be out. We made our way to the local Wat for my wife to place a sandalwood flower for her King. Another hour in that queue. What an ordeal.

Name:	20171026_113407.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	22577

Name:	20171026_113531.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	22578
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (04-11-17), Khun Don (02-11-17), Susana (08-11-17)

Thanks

Big Tham Boon (Make Merit) to you and you wife Emu, for it is a once in a lifetime event. Something Mrs Emu will cherish for the rest of her days.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bgd57 For This Useful Post:

emu (04-11-17), Marie (10-11-17), mikeheart (08-11-17), Susana (08-11-17)

Thanks

https://youtu.be/_uftdUOSrEI

This maybe the last here. But I upload to youtube. Sad to see the end, but life is what it is.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

Thanks

Unfortunately, we may have one in one thousand disgruntled low educated person, who spreads the venom of his sad life among students in Thailand. I feel for those poor kids. They don't know, and are easily influenced. He can't spell, so they will not be able to spell in english. Like a virus, only they are smarter, and will further their own education. Hating your own country, is a sad reflection of a persons state of mind. Supporting minority groups, regardless of intent, is total stupidity.
    To all of the happy people, I wish you well. I love life, as most of us do. I have thrived on the feedback, or it would not have progressed past the first week. Thank you all. We have a bond.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (11-11-17), Khun Don (10-11-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    https://youtu.be/_uftdUOSrEI

This maybe the last here. But I upload to youtube. Sad to see the end, but life is what it is.
    Don't be so sure yet that this is the last one, fingers crossed. :-)

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (11-11-17), emu (10-11-17), Khun Don (10-11-17)

Thanks

If someone were to delete all of the personal digs here, including my own, that would be nice. I avoid bitter people generally, but harder on the net.

Thanks

I have been researching health insurance for a couple of months now, and settled on a basic Bupa scheme. $1500 per year. I figure that if I need major health care, I can go back to Australia, where it is free. I came to a stumbling block at the end, the application form. Submitted, and rejected. BMI is a factor. I have been storing energy, due to my daily intake of 12 plus large Leos, and currently weigh in at 115 kg. Shut off is 112 kg. So now self insured.

I have a busy calendar for the next 4 months, and plan to go back and work for 10 weeks at the end of March, but now, I have an opportunity to go at the start of December for 5 weeks, and that will see us through most of next year. My visa arrangements require me to be back before the 10th of January. The job confirmation tomorrow. 5 weeks is easy money, and it will be good to catch up with friends.

Name:	20171103_150312.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	262.6 KB 
ID:	22581

Name:	20171103_192814.jpg 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	22582

Name:	20171103_204336.jpg 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	22583

Name:	20171103_213215.jpg 
Size:	228.7 KB 
ID:	22584

Loy Kratong festival was much subdued, due to an order by the military junta. But we made the best of it. One quarter of the people of last year, no music, no movies, and no fun allowed.
    Luckily, I had the foresight to pick up ten sky lanterns a week before. We released one, and gave the rest to the local kids. My wife thanked me after, for giving the kids some fun. The locals are scared of the dictator, but the village headman sent the first up, and I gather that is the required approval.

Those two kratongs I made myself, without research or guidance. Banana trunk, and plants from our yard.
    The major part of the ceremony, is at the Wat. Actually, evertyhing is at the Wat. An hour or so of preliminaries before the Kratong float.
    Little Pooklook wais along with everyone else. She knows, when people chant, she should wai.

After the ceremony at our old village, we went to the one at our new village. much more upbeat. They hired in a singer and musician, many food and toy stalls, many friends. Another happy night.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (Yesterday), Susana (Yesterday)

Thanks

The rice harvest dominates everything here at the moment. Roads are seconded for drying the fresh cut rice, and harvesters are all over the place. We were committed to help Mrs Emus sister in Ubon province, to help her harvest her 8 rai farm. I have been asked to fund the sisters rental of said farm for a large amount, and refused. Any money I give will never come back, and, she will want more My opinion is that if you can't afford to farm, then don't farm. Easy.... So off we go, 2 hour drive to hand cut 8 rai.

Name:	20171104_120100.jpg 
Size:	190.5 KB 
ID:	22585

Name:	20171104_121357(0).jpg 
Size:	384.3 KB 
ID:	22586

This is not a small job. obviously, I don't have a work permit, so just posed for this photo for a bit of fun. I elected to take care of the five kids. Nong pear is the bigger of the photo with her sister. Sadly, her mother seems to have abandonded the two of them, and regularly posts pics of herself with boyfriends kids. Bloody sad. My wifes sister takes care of them, along with this silly farang.

Name:	20171104_121519.jpg 
Size:	371.4 KB 
ID:	22587

Name:	20171104_132302.jpg 
Size:	351.9 KB 
ID:	22588

Name:	20171104_161427.jpg 
Size:	137.6 KB 
ID:	22589

A bi product of the harvest, is the fish trapped in the receding waters. Pear and Pem take care of those with many giggles, and determination.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (Yesterday), Susana (Yesterday)

Thread Information