Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 266673747576
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,233 Times in 670 Posts

Re: The Emu story-Building a Home in Thailand (PHOTOS & VIDS)

We have had a tragedy in the village on the evening of Ork Pansa. The end of the Buddhist lent.
    There is a large water storage pond in the centre north side. It is about 100 metres square, and I am not sure of the depth. Two young guys set out in a "gullamung", which is a tub that they use to mix cement, to collect lotus buds for the ceremonies. One wanted to jump in, but the other, who was a non swimmer, tried to stop him. The vessel capsized.
    The non swimmer cried to his friend to help, but he could barely save himself. Reports are that the poor guy held his hand above water as long as he could before drowning, hoping for a save.

We went down to check how the search party was doing, and still two hours later had not recovered the body, so we went home. They would not allow more than the four searchers in the water, for fear of another victim. This whole pond is covered in lotus plants, and this hindered progress.

Another hour, and the Sisaket rescue crew came past our house, and shortly after, the body was retrieved. My wife went along to view the body, but I didn't. For some reason that I don't get, they keep the bodies of the deceased out until everyone has a look.

Yesterday and today, the lane beside the pond at his families house is blocked with marquees for the funeral.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22323155_10210826752889023_900147365_n.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	82.1 KB 
ID:	22556

Every Ork Pansa now on, a bad memory.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (07-10-17), Marie (07-10-17), Susana (09-10-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,201 Times in 3,349 Posts

Awful.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,562 Times in 1,839 Posts

A decade ago, I was told that most Thais couldn't swim. And also not many schools taught swimming to their students. I wonder if that still holds true?

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (07-10-17), Susana (09-10-17)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    A decade ago, I was told that most Thais couldn't swim. And also not many schools taught swimming to their students. I wonder if that still holds true?
    I was told the same thing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

Marie (08-10-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,951 Posts

I was told, too, that most Thais couldn't swim. Mr X, whose family home was right on the river before they were displaced by a bridge, said they threw him into the water when he was a baby (not exactly what age) so he would know how to fend for himself. He said it was standard practice. That, however, was in the last century, but not quite a hundred years.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

emu (10-10-17), Khun Don (10-10-17)

Thanks

Attachment 22562

Lucky me, I have a photo up. I seem to have endless problems posting. But, it is what it is. One of our farms is 15 km away, and I go to check both on the bike every morning. Normally 6.30, or 7am.
    We have a lot of rain at the moment, so the cutting is haphazard, and I like to have the overall progress of everything in my mind.
    As well, the ride in the cool of the morning is great. Through the villages is a slalom dodging the layabout dogs on the road. predicting their course is a challenge I don't welcome.
    This particular time, I stopped to take a photo of the bridge, and the school bus just happened to come along.
    Last edited by emu; 10-10-17 at 08:31 PM.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (10-10-17), Susana (11-10-17)

Thanks

This time the photo is displaying OK when clicking on the link-which has to be progress!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

emu (11-10-17)

Thanks

Name:	20170930_151312.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	22570

Pooklook had this large blood blister around lunchtime one day. We took her to the Phu Sing hospital, and she was diagnosed with a deep tissue infection. I did an internet image search, and agree with that. She was immediately sent to Sisaket hospital by ambulance for surgery. I went home while Mrs Emu went with her, and I gathered clothes for her, myself and Princess.
    After three hrs at the hospital there, I went out to have dinner, and when I got back, the operation was over. They debrided her foot with no anaesthetic at all. The poor little thing. We were three days in Sisaket, and thankfully it has healed ok. Poor girl is back on the 25th for her next operation.

Name:	20170818_180721.jpg 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	22567

These things are on sale at all of the markets. I assumed that it was confectionary, but it is not. It is processed meat sausage, coloured for kids. Haha. What a funny business.

Name:	20170908_075718.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	290.9 KB 
ID:	22568

This is our favourite monk, teasing the little ones.

Name:	20170916_100344.jpg 
Size:	264.7 KB 
ID:	22569

I paid for my daughter "emuchick" and her family to come visit for two weeks. This may be their only opportunity to see grandpas lifestyle and home. They had a great time, especially with the Don Ta festival, and the last three nights in Bangkok. Also a ride on the Singapore Flier on the way home. They attracted a lot of attention wherever we went. Not a lot of westerners around here.

Name:	20170930_155611.jpg 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	22571

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	22572

Emuchick and her husband join me on the morning rounds to check the farms. Loving the freedoms.

Finally, I have worked out why I have so many problems with posting. My phone plan was basic dialup speed. While my daughter was here, her son showed me the different plans, and speeds....so I got onto the 4mbs plan. Fast down loads, but still miserable upload. Just today, I found the 5mbs plan, with almost as fast upload on my AIS carrier. Fantastic. I feel like an idiot, but happy that now I know.

Cheers, Emu.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (20-10-17), mikeheart (20-10-17), Susana (Yesterday)

Thanks

Glad you sorted the problem, Emu-your posts are much valued and the photos really help make them come to life.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

emu (20-10-17), mikeheart (20-10-17), Susana (Yesterday)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,951 Posts

Poor little Pooklook. I hope the deep tissue infection will not be a recurring problem.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (Yesterday)

Thread Information