Page 70 of 73 FirstFirst ... 206067686970717273 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,833 Posts

Re: The Emu story-Building a Home in Thailand (PHOTOS & VIDS)

No, my research says it is called differently--น้อยโหน่ง noi-nong.
    Last edited by Marie; 16-03-17 at 09:14 PM.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

I saw this one on YouTube first. If I live that long, we plan to make our permanent move in October of this year. We will be starting the house build almost immediately upon our arrival. Our area is 3 Rai, but will be making and walling in the homestead on only about a half Rai. The rest is for livestock and gardens.

This thread and the YouTube videos provide us with valuable information. All we currently have is a basic floor plan, so we will need an architect to complete a full set of drawings. Then we will need to find a good contractor. A good well and a grounded electrical system are, of course, of primary importance. Learning from others who have had such good success is extremely helpful. Thank-you, Emu!
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (19-03-17), emu (17-03-17), Khun Don (16-03-17), Susana (17-03-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 647 Posts

It was a hectic two weeks at home, with three goals achieved. I will get to them shortly.

I had to take two days off before returning to work to be a pallbearer for one of my best mates, who had taken his own life. I had sort of prepared myself for the ordeal, and settled into a hotel for the night before, when the phone rang at 8pm Thai time. My wife was in tears as she told me that her close sisters husband had been hit by a car while crossing the road, only 200 metres from home. She had run up there as soon as she heard. The driver took off, and has not yet been apprehended.
    She said to me, " his leg broken, his arm broken, his head broken. Too much blood, he die soon.
    Her brother went with him to Sisaket hospital, and three hours later came the call that he had died.

So the family have been in mourning now for two days, with the cremation tomorrow. People have put photos on facebook of my wife cooking under the marquee, as at a normal Thai funeral. She is the strong one in the family, and will be taking charge. At many events in the village, this family are involved, cooking, organising or helping in some way. I wish I could be there to comfort her, but her sister and family need her more.

She tells me 20 000 baht had to be paid straight away for the ambulance, to come back to us from donations. I know they wont be enough, so I told her we will pay half and donations the other half. I know already what the outcome will be.

On a lighter note, her other sister, (Pears Grandmother)s husband died a few months ago. Now this sisters husband has died. I have told her that I am nervous now, because bad things come in threes, and I am the last husband. I almost had two traffic accidents the last two days, just because I was preoccupied. One was a truck cutting through the funeral procession. I had to swerve to escape. Yes, I am jumpy.

This is Soe on the left clapping along in the early days of the build. Relaxing after a days work. Such a humble guy. Never asked me for a single thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brhwDL5D5Zo

Cheers guys. Emu.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (19-03-17), hazman (19-03-17), JohnG (19-03-17), Khun Don (18-03-17), Marie (18-03-17), mikeheart (22-03-17), Susana (19-03-17), visionchaser45 (18-03-17)

Thanks

moving along....
    The first project, was the bathroom for my wife's half sister. I spoke about it last month. I had envisaged something like our construction toilet. Corrugated iron walls and door, concrete floor, and a large concrete urn, the same as we had for nearly two years. But....I thought well... it's not so much more for block walls, so we'll do that. I envisaged interlocking blocks at the corners, but Khoon insists that there have to be columns. Ok. We get 4 columns. So then, because now we have blocks and columns, we should get a pvc door and frame. Oh, and look, they have a tiled base for the squat toilet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170302_130757.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	22429 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170302_140610.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	22430

We can see their existing bathroom, and here the building inspector is checking the consistency of the aggregate. Once approved, we are ok to start.
    We need a slope on the roof, and silly me assumed that they would set the columns at different heights. No. So they have to extend two with wood, and then cry that the roof is too high. Haha. bad luck boys. Pear's mum Loy has come home from Bangkok with her boyfriend and is keen to help. I don't think she has laid blocks before, but had a go, and did well. She is quite the cutie.

Name:	20170304_120348.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	122.3 KB 
ID:	22431 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170304_151458.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	22432

From an expected two days and 5000 baht, the budget blew out to four days and 10 000 baht. This include 500 baht per day for Princesses boyfriend, who ran the job. Loy, her boyfriend and brother provided their labour free of course. At the end, I gave the three 1000 baht between them, for them to celebrate their achievement.
    Day four, it was still not finished, but had been in use since day three. We had to leave the family to finish off. Two hours drive each way each day, and my time at home lost, was enough of a commitment from me. Pleased I could change their enjoyment of life, for a long time.

Name:	20170305_170533.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	231.6 KB 
ID:	22433 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170305_171507.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	90.2 KB 
ID:	22434

Loy's brother is an interesting specimen. He was hit on the coconut, by a coconut when he was young. I think that he has sustained some sort of brain injury. One eye looks elsewhere, and one side of his mouth is turned up in a permanent snarl. Consequently, he is still single.

Cheers, Emu.
    If it's not true, don't say it. If it's not yours, don't take it. If it's not right, don't do it.

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (19-03-17), hazman (19-03-17), JohnG (19-03-17), Khun Don (18-03-17), Marie (18-03-17), mikeheart (22-03-17), Susana (19-03-17), visionchaser45 (18-03-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,084 Times in 3,269 Posts

RIP Soe. Hope the driver gets caught soon.

Interesting to get solid evidence that building estimates in Thailand are always half the real price/time-just as they are frequently here in the UK! Do you get tradesman in Thailand who come around to estimate the cost of a building job that commence by sucking air in through their teeth and say "You've had the cowboys in here!"

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

emu (19-03-17), JohnG (19-03-17), Marie (20-03-17), visionchaser45 (20-03-17)

Thanks

I forgot to mention in the last post, that I left the family with enough (boon charp) plastering cement and sand to render the bathroom walls as well.

My wife has wanted these plant beds for some time now. The pressure was on as soon as I arrived, with the builder brother in law from the shop next door hovering around to give a quote. He wanted 2500 baht for labour only, without putting a reinforced base in. I argued the point, thinking that he would knock it over in two days, making a windfall and doing an inferior job. No was my reply. Next afternoon, Khoon asks if I have ordered the materials, and I need to remind her that I have said no. Anyhow, she win I lose, and I go to order the stuff.

It turned out that he did a very good job. The blocks were tied in at the ends and corners with 8mm steel rod, and nicely rendered. All perfectly straight. He had a helper for two days, and finished after three. Well done.
    I will use this guy when we go ahead with the outdoor thai toilet.

Name:	20170309_150800.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	22435 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170312_063115.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	22436

I hope she will wait for me before putting plants in. Something like this really needs proper planning, otherwise, you will spend too much time on maintenance.

Our bedroom has been a mess for months, due to the amount of tools I have. When I am away at work, they are locked up, but when home, they are spread out because I like to be able to get to things without digging.
    So, this new shed is long overdue.
    I retrieved the dropsaw from the old shed, and see that some bugger has broken the off/ on switch. This and the broken guard mounts make me decide to buy a new one. This piece of "ushita" can go to wifes brother. A new Maktec is added to the arsenal, and makes easy work of the frame steelwork.

Materials for the shed cost 10 000 baht. I was determined to do the whole job myself, but regretted this idea soon after. It only took three days, but so hot, and monotonous. The sheeting is so thin, I have to screw every second rib. The capping I have put over the top and bottom lines of screws will stop any crook with a battery drill from unscrewing and pull open the sheeting. Capping is bolted right through.

Name:	20170311_142437.jpg 
Size:	268.1 KB 
ID:	22437

Name:	20170312_154219.jpg 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	22438

Name:	20170314_091304.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	295.8 KB 
ID:	22439

Name:	20170314_091350.jpg 
Size:	209.1 KB 
ID:	22440

I paid nong chai, (younger brother ) 300 baht to dismantle the old shed and make some shelving from the existing timber. He also got the redundant corrugated iron to extend his shack.
    I am pretty pleased that I did persevere. There is nothing like enjoying a refreshment, and looking at the fruits of your labour.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (28-03-17), hazman (29-03-17), JohnG (22-03-17), Khun Don (20-03-17), Marie (20-03-17), Susana (20-03-17), visionchaser45 (20-03-17)

Thanks

It's all looking really good emu, you must be very pleased as the whole picture gets closer to completion (I am, from the "outside" looking in...).
    We're going to BKK in August to pay last respects to the King. Just something inside us both, that we want to do. Any suggestions/recommendations for the visit to the Temple. I believe the crowds have lessened considerably now.

Cheers, John

Thanks

No, not really John. Just the stuff I posted on p 66 and 67. My wife knew to be there at 3am. I don't know how she knew that. Things will probably change by August. It was nice being amongst so many respectful people. You will enjoy your trip, as always. I am sure we made the right decision to stay close. Too easy, less than ten minute walk and no stress.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

JohnG (23-03-17)

Thanks

The driver of the car that killed poor Soe has been found.
    He has offered 100 000 baht compensation, and this was rejected by the family. Apparently, 300 000 is what they demand, but will accept over 200 000. Next meeting is at the police station on saturday.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

bgd57 (28-03-17), JohnG (26-03-17), Khun Don (24-03-17)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,084 Times in 3,269 Posts

I am glad to read he did not get away with it!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

emu (24-03-17)

Thread Information