PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
The Emu story-Building a Home in Thailand (PHOTOS & VIDS) - Page 30
Page 30 of 80 FirstFirst ... 202728293031323340 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 695 Posts

Re: The Emu story-Building a Home in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Emu, I know this is off topic, but if you have any knowledge of the little girl who is deaf, and what kind of schooling she will have, I'm sure there are a lot of people who would like to know. Thanks.
    Thanks Susana. Little pear touched my heart, which is why I included her in the post. It was interesting watching how she interacted with the other kids and her world. I do intend to follow up, and find out her situation, but didn't mention it in case for some reason I don't. I will let you know what happens, but it may have to wait til I return on January 26. Cheers.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

JohnG (03-01-15), Khun Don (03-01-15), Marie (03-01-15), Susana (03-01-15)

Thanks

At the risk of getting a bit boring, I have some more stuff to share. I have recovered most of the stuff from the SD card, but some I saw are not there. Anyhoo..... Here is a better photo of the teak bench thing we use as a TV stand. It is a bit unique I think, and I like it. Also, a pic of the new tree. I plan to have two more of these in a line in front of the house.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	20804 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	037.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	234.3 KB 
ID:	20805

The construction house has been removed, and the toilet top taken off, contents sucked out and hosed. Luckily, I was at the old house while this happened, and don't have any photos for you. 700 baht for the sucker truck. Normally it's 3-400, but this was large, and hosed down as well. When we get around to doing the perimeter wall, I'll get the machine to dig the rings out.

The young woman who runs that green and yellow shop next door to us was married on the 21st. But in the morning, we had another party to go to, so we missed her ceremony, but made the reception.

I'm not exactly sure of the reason for this party. It's something to do with this guys return to the village after establishing a successful career, or something like that.
    When you attend, you return the invitation with a monetary gift inside. The amounts are recorded in the gift book for future reference. Each attendee is given a bag of pork to take away, size dependant on your donation. We gave 1000, which earned us a reasonable size bag. Around a kilo, which costs 80 baht at Tesco Lotus.
    This was the most generous party I have been to yet. Copious amounts of food and drink, and very friendly hosts. A really nice atmosphere. My wife's family were serving, and her brother recording the financials.

Name:	20141221_091532.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	20806 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_100709.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	158.8 KB 
ID:	20807

They have the bloody raw beef, which I couldn't face. I have eaten raw pork before with chilli, but all the blood is too much. Most of the other food was very nice, and quite spicy. It was a very pleasant morning. I used to feel out of place at these functions, but as I know more and more people, I can relax and enjoy.

Name:	20141221_085712.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	20808 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141221_085929.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	20809

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

homejames (03-01-15), JohnG (04-01-15), Khun Don (03-01-15), Susana (03-01-15)

Thanks

This wedding reception is a biggie. They block the whole road on the second day, and plonk a stage in the middle of it. So the reception takes place on the main road, and traffic have to take a detour. The tables and chairs look great, and the bride is lovely. My swedish friend and his wife join us for a great night. There were several singers, and a team of dancers.

Name:	007.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	148.7 KB 
ID:	20810 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	20811

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	197.7 KB 
ID:	20812 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	018.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	20813

Name:	019.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	20814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	029.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	20815

Finally, Mrs Emu explains to me why there are not many refreshments offered. You are expected to eat and drink, and move on home to make room for the next wave. hahahaa. I was having too good a time to be moving along. There were always enough tables. My friend and I had to start a smuggling operation, and all was well with the world.
    Last edited by emu; 03-01-15 at 01:04 PM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

homejames (03-01-15), Khun Don (03-01-15), Marie (03-01-15), RickThai (19-01-15), Susana (03-01-15)

Thanks

Sorry, my friend is Danish.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (03-01-15), Marie (03-01-15), Susana (03-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    Finally, Mrs Emu explains to me why there are not many refreshments offered. You are expected to eat and drink, and move on home to make room for the next wave. hahahaa. I was having too good a time to be moving along.
    Mai pen rai, Emu. I guess they didn't mind your overstaying. Somebody told me that many Thai hosts are even pleased to show others that they have foreign guests to grace the occasion. It's like a badge of pride.

Can somebody confirm or deny this?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

emu (04-01-15)

Thanks

I have spoken with Mrs Emu about nong Pear. She tells me that Pear goes to a normal school, because the school for "people same her", is too far away. It is really not acceptable that a child should have no hope of communication for their whole life. We will go to visit Pear and family in Ubon, and see what goes on. Ubon is a province, and they may be a long way from the city, but I'll check it out.

So, They came out with this chilli mix, and sent a "runner" to collect the appropriate vegetation to enjoy it. There is one bush with a pea like item on it, and from another yard, they got these maple looking leaves, which doubles as a spoon. I should have tried it, but anything which involves so much chilli scares me.

Name:	055.jpg 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	20816 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	056.jpg 
Size:	162.2 KB 
ID:	20817

These are the new beds for the kids rooms. The sons with blue curtains, and Princess with the pink. Princess has not been home for a week, electing to stay at the old house, because I chipped her about leaving the screen door open too often in the evening. As she walks out the back door, she gives it a tiny flick, and keeps walking. Just lazy, but has her mothers temperament. The whole household almost abandoned me that evening.

Name:	061.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	186.8 KB 
ID:	20818 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	062.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	20819

Anyway, our free hotel has withdrawn its generosity. before Christmas, my wife told them all, that if they don't work, then they can go elsewhere. Even when they do work, we pay everything for them, but lately, they have all retired from the workforce, preferring to push their luck for early retirement. So, yesterday, Princess, her boyfriend, and the freeloader cousin, have left to Bangkok to work. This morning, the two sons left to Bangkok to work also. They work at a furniture factory in Ket Lat Krabang, an industrial area not far from the airport. I expect the elder son/ sloth, to be a few kilos lighter when he comes back. He definitely wont have the amount of food he has had here. Now, I have to convince my wife to ignore their cries for help.

The bore has stopped producing water, and we have to buy water in again. They have pulled the pump, and even pumping from a tub, it is getting hot. If pumps stay in water, generally they are ok, but maybe it has been sucking wind at some point. The Bore/ pump man is coming tomorrow to sort it out. Fingers crossed.
    Cheers, Emu.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to emu For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (04-01-15), Marie (04-01-15), Susana (04-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emu View Post
    I have spoken with Mrs Emu about nong Pear. She tells me that Pear goes to a normal school, because the school for "people same her", is too far away. It is really not acceptable that a child should have no hope of communication for their whole life.
    Incidentally, I also met a five-year old 'special child' during my last visit to Thailand. At 4 he still couldn't speak. But this one is not deaf-he's autistic. However he has started to speak now after several months of therapy. But the cost is not cheap! (I'll talk more about him in my thread.)

As she [Princess] walks out the back door, she gives it a tiny flick, and keeps walking. Just lazy.
    Emu, this is also a problem with my 9-year old nephew-no matter how many hundred times we have told him that mosquitoes could bite him and make him very sick and maybe die. We have hence installed an automatic spring door closer. Or is yours a sliding door? In which case you really need to make her develop the habit by hook or by crook. And maybe your method will work-after she sulks. Good luck!

Even when they do work, we pay everything for them
    Oh, foreign aid grantees, eh? :l

but lately, they have all retired from the workforce, preferring to push their luck for early retirement.
    Hahaha!@ early retirement!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

emu (04-01-15), Khun Don (04-01-15), Susana (04-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Please do keep us updated on Nong Pear, Emu. Hopefully there will be a happy ending.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

emu (05-01-15), homejames (05-01-15), Susana (04-01-15)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Sounds of my childhood. Don't slam the door. Don't leave the door open. We eventually get it right.

Thanks

Thais are, in general, not as confrontational or direct as we from the West. Giving harsh orders, issuing ultimatums, and punishing are anathema to most because it is seen as creating unnecessary turbulence. Rather than confront an issue directly, the average Thai will choose to "beat around the bush" or just ignore it and hope it goes away.
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to visionchaser45 For This Useful Post:

emu (05-01-15)

Thread Information