Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Where do you prefer to eat your Thai food ?

Since I've moved to the States, I prefer to cook my own food ( mostly Thai dishes ) Occasionally we would eat out but not at a Thai restaurant because the food they served is not as authentic as the sign says. I always make simple meal, stir fry meat with some vegetables seem to be on the table everyday when I'm home alone.
    In Thailand, there're vendors at every corner of the street. So if you happen to crave some noodle, fried chicken, etc. at 2 am. a quick run to the corner can fix that problem. I often eat at the food court inside mall just because there're so many to choose from and not that expensive. Sometimes I'd visit the canteen of a nearby university for the same reason but slightly cheaper price, moreover I get to admire the life of students and thought of myself when I was their age.
    I often eat alone because everyone in my family is busy working. The only day we'd sit together for a meal was Sunday where dinner is served as soon as my father arrives. Enjoying the homemade meal with family is the best.
    However I have so many places I like to go for specific dishes. I love fried red snapper topped with spicy mango salad at The Royal Thai Navy club, Chicken and rice near Pratunam, Soft shell crab in curry paste at Bang Pu village, and so on.
    Where do you prefer to eat your Thai food ? What's your favorite dish to order or to make ?
    Enjoy eating!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to siamruby For This Useful Post:

Marie (12-12-13), PeaBrain (15-12-13), Susana (13-12-13)

Thanks

Re: Where do you prefer to eat your Thai food ?

OK -I eat most Thai food at home with my daughter, and as you say above I am invariably disappointed with the food available in UK Thai restaurants although The Thai Classic in Bristol can on occasion rise above the rest to provide a fab Penang curry ( but then sometimes it fails and I know it's the same cook every time). Otherwise eating at friends homes provides the authentic Thai food experience.
    When I am in Bkk I stay in Thevet and there is a whole host of fab food in the surrounding streets -for me Khao man Gai and steamed seafood in Luk Luang by the canal and I have also eaten in the Royal Thai Navy Club many years ago.
    Currently my favourite dish to make is padseeyiu due to the fact that I have to run around taking my daughter to lots of out of school activities and it is a dish that can be cooked very very quickly-otherwise love muu krob pak canaa and palow when I have the time-
    If I am in arestaurant would always look for a fish dish esp. neung manao or plaa samlii det diaw with tat infamous mango salad and for Victoria we have to locate sticky rice and many varieties of bbq chicken, pork etc

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sisaket For This Useful Post:

Susana (13-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,104 Posts

Living in Bangkok, I am spoiled for choices.

When we were in the States, living in Southern California, there were some good, although expensive, picks too.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

I like to eat my Thai food anywhere there is a plate and spoon.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 638 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    I like to eat my Thai food anywhere there is a plate and spoon.
    Don't even need a plate and spoon if its ไก่ย่างส้มตำไทยข้าวเหนียว (BBQ chicken, Papaya salad, sticky rice)

Last edited by guava; 13-12-13 at 07:16 AM. Reason: add photo

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guava For This Useful Post:

fileeep (14-12-13), Marie (13-12-13), siamruby (14-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

I know, but I still prefer to have a plate, I'm a messy eater!

David

Thanks
    Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,937 Posts

I enjoy a simple stir-fry also and it's something I don't mess up too very often. I like to make tom yum also, especially in the wintertime. Although it doesn't taste as good as what I had in Thailand at least I know it is healthy, and there is the small possibility my cooking skills will improve with time.

I rarely go to a restaurant which, if I were a food critic, I would write a rave review about. The best ones I have been to are in unpretentious locations and are usually a mom and pop type business. The one I am thinking of at the moment is in the corner of a convenience store. The husband, American, takes orders and payment while his Thai wife cooks. Another small restaurant I like is inside a supermarket. The family who owns it is actually from Laos.

If the food is not really good and msg/additive free, I'd much rather eat at home.

Thanks

China town in Bangkok is another favorite place for me to walk around and decide on what to eat ( no,I don't eat shark fin soup! even though there're many shops to choose from ) Sometimes me and my friend would just buy whatever convenient to eat as we walk, often fish cakes, roti, quail eggs,grilled squid, etc. If I visit China town,it's a must for me to drink lotus root tea,the vendor is on the corner opposite of Traimitr temple.
    Sisaket above mentioned Thevet area and that reminds me of a Thai restaurant called Krua Apsorn near The national library. The food there is so delicious. I like duck curry, Gaeng ped bped yaang.

Thanks

Sundays, outside. If there is any Buddhist temples around that sell food on this day.

Thanks

When I was young, mom cooked, and dad loved to have at least 3 dishes. Basically meals cooked by mom always good. I have lived away from home, at work I often buy lunch, sometimes cook my own. My favourite place is food stall, on footpath at night. This place is very special although they don't have permanent shop, they cook at night, come in with a medium size truck, and freshly cook. Their foods are so fresh, everything is nice. My favourite dishes are clam (half raw) served with seafood sauce, red roasted pork, crispy pork, wild curry (very hot) :O, yum woon sen (spicy mungbean noodle salad) and etc. I always take my farang friends there, and no one is disappointed.

And every time we have some ceremony, my aunt-in-law will cook plaa raa (fermented fish) in coconut milk....so yummy. We always look forward to her dish. My granny best cook for nam prik to eat with khanom jeen. Hers is the best with so fresh and fragrant ingredients. Miss her now

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rori For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (17-12-13), Marie (16-12-13), Susana (20-01-14)

Thread Information