Thanks

Making pho broth

There's different ways on how to make pho. Along with that there's beef pho and chicken pho. I've tried Vietnamese pho and tend to favor this more than the Lao/Thai pho.

What spices, meat, etc do you use when you make the broth?

I looked up online and everywhere is a bit different. I'll be making this when I go to Mexico and want to make sure I have all the things I need! :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,959 Posts

Re: Making pho broth

Annzy, here is a recipe from a Vietnamese cook I 'like' on facebook. You may already know of her.

I buy a lot of spices from the hispanic section of the grocery store, and all the ingredients are readily available in Mexico as I'm sure you know. Oddly enough, sometimes they are cheaper here in the U.S..

Here is the recipe from VietKitchen: http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog...odle-soup.html

My daughter taught in Mexico for a couple years and for a while stayed in the home of a Mexican friend and her parents. They couldn't stand the smell of her fish sauce, which we thought was kinda funny. They didn't, of course. Also, we wanted to make tom yum and thought we needed to buy lemongrass. One of the children of the household went into a vacant lot and got it for us.

I have the impression you are quite familiar with Mexico so I thought I would share that little story with you. Have a wonderful time there. I am fascinated with the fact that Mexico and Thailand share so much in the way of cooking ingredients but use those ingredients in totally different ways.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Annzy (21-12-13)

Thanks

Hello Annzy, Susana
    I love noodle soup as does everyone in my family. Susana, I went to the link you gave and her broth is amazingly very similar to mine except that I never have thought of putting ginger in it. The rest is pretty much the same. For the garnish, bean sprouts and chopped celery green top are a must. I don't use basil leaves in this soup. Oh I almost forgot, along with the veggie garnish finely chopped and browned garlic is also a must have or it wouldn't be my noodles. . No lime wedge for me either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nu For This Useful Post:

Susana (22-12-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,959 Posts

The recipe reminds me of a duck soup with noodles that we used to love, but like you said without ginger or lime, but with browned garlic.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Nu (22-12-13)

Thanks

So I made the broth and it was amazing!!!!!! I had to alter it though so the only thing that my family could add was just the chilli pepper, Sriracha sauce, etc. I attempted to make the Vietnamese broth, but couldn't get the broth clear lol. The family in Mexico definitely enjoyed it and I totally cheated because at the Asian store they have the packets with the seasoning for the broth. I used that along with other things as well. :-)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Annzy For This Useful Post:

Susana (20-01-14)

Thread Information