PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Easter

Thread: Easter

Thanks

Easter

Easter will be celebrated by many Christians and others arcoss the globe. From
    childhood, I was taught that Good Friday was regarded as one the most sacred
    days for Christians. Schools were closed for Easter holiday (end of term) and so
    were cinemas, stores etc.In the village where I grew up,was a guy known as
    ''trademan''. He taught me how to make Kites using bamboo and old newspaper or if I could afford it, different colours of kite paper. Being so proud
    of making your own toys, my friends and I would go to empty rice fields or pastures to fly our new aquisitions. Of course there was a big disappiontment
    when it was windstil.In secondary school while I was learning about ''The life
    and teachings of Christ'',is when I realised what the flying of kites symbolised
    i.e. the ''ascension of Christ to heaven. Later on, I read or heard that Christ
    didn't die on the cross but was taken down alive by his diciples/followers and
    smuggled to India where he had a wife and kids and worked as a carpenter.
    True or not, I don't have a clue. Back then, most Christians used to attend
    church. Nowadays, my malbox is filled with flyers, from DIYs,restaurants,big
    supermarkets etc. offering 20% discounts on some of there products but not
    much about Church going or any related religious activties. I'm sure when I
    watch TV this evening,the news will reveal the the numbers and distances of
    traffic jams and unfortunately a few road accidents because many folks would
    be travelling by car to spend the Easter weekend away from home.I don't have
    any plans but if the weather permits,I think I'll go cycling and spend some time in one of the many parks here.Happy Easter everyone.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rijmond For This Useful Post:

fileeep (19-04-14), Mahindrasarath (19-04-14), Marie (18-04-14), Susana (18-04-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Re: Easter

Happy Easter, Rijmond, and everyone else.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (18-04-14), rijmond (21-04-14)

Thanks

The original Bibles were all hand made copies. The oldest bible in existence is a greek copy translated from Hebrew text 300 years after what Christens beleive is the death of Jesus Christ. The most popular bible today is the King James Version, which is a translation of various older hand coppied bibles. Many of these older bibles had books that were not translated into the King James Version because of contradictions. The story of Jesus & the resurrection from different bible varies greatly. Since the first hand written hebrew bibles no longer exist, which were written some 40 years after what has been described as the death of Jesus Christ, no one realy knows what version of these bibles is the most accurate story of Jesus & his death. If you read some of these bibles you will read about Jesus literally resurrecting from the dead, in other versions of these older coppies & translations the story of Jesus death has a different ending.
    The story of Easter is very subjective to belief.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

rijmond (21-04-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Simplicity was practiced in my childhood home. Still, white gloves were considered necessary for what I call 'training to become ladylike', and always worn on Sundays. They felt good during winter, and hot in the summer. I remember at least one year when I had a new headband with flowers for Easter.

My older brothers wore a tie, at least on special occasions. I wanted to learn to tie a necktie too, so my dad taught me.

My oldest brother was the type to get caught with bubble gum when he was younger, the next one always behaved and eventually became a minister. I was the one who asked scandalous questions and sometimes the teacher had to voice her concerns to my parents. Usually mom didn't go with us however, as she always had to do laundry on Sunday mornings.
    Last edited by Susana; 19-04-14 at 04:00 AM. Reason: grammatical error fixed

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

rijmond (21-04-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

I remember many years ago Good Friday being a very quiet day. Church Services No public transport. Very little traffic on the roads No shops open. Serious programmes on the radio-and probably TV too.
    Now it is just a normal day for the most part-all shops open, lots of traffic-just like a normal Friday.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

rijmond (21-04-14)

Thread Information