PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
The Asian Beauty Problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

The Asian Beauty Problem

Neither Thai women nor Thai cultural views were mentioned here, yet I think it is still an interesting topic. I hope some Thai women will respond. Men too, of course.

This topic has been discussed in my family many times, usually coming about accidentally. I know many Thai women have cosmetically altered their looks so that they will appear more western, and skin whitening cremes are an important part of 'skin care'. I use the term loosely since most or all of those cremes are not healthy.

While reading this article I drew similarities with my own southern culture. Beauty was not expected of me personally, except for beauty within, but I refer to the docile and obedient aspect, being a "good girl", a 'lady'. But I digress.

I hope you will all find this interesting enough for discussion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adora-...0054&ir=Impact

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (06-05-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: The Asian Beauty Problem

In Turkey, on the Western edge of Asia, it is the men and not the women who shave their armpits.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

I definitely preffer the lighter colour Asians, give all other things are equal. But That would only count for 5% of there look factor. A cute face, would count for 30%, a slim body in good shape would count for 35% and very smooth evenly toned skin would count for another 30%.
    I don't care about there hair, unless they spend too much money on there hair, which turns me off, I don't like high maintainance woman. If they start wearing those stupid high heal shoes, or high fashion clothing, that is also a turn off.
    Plastic surgery is also a turn off for me. If there that vein they think they need plastic surgery to impress me, I would not want them. I preffer a natural look, keep fit and healthy, look after there skin by staying out of the sun & to for them to ignore all those models in the fashion magazines. Miranda Kerr is a turn off, just another greedy high maintenance woman after rich men to take care of her because she is to selfish to pay her own way while dating, even though she is worth millions.
    If a woman don't pull her weight financially, than I don't care if they were the best looking woman in the world, I would be showing them the door, I would not want them to waist my time.

Thanks

I am wondering if, after reading the article, people will think that unreal expectations are place on Asian women.

This was not mentioned in the above article, but I am thinking about how Asians in general, in the U.S. at least, are perceived to be genetically predisposed to become math and science geniuses. Added to that, many Asians are pushed to become physicians by their parents, as in this article from Asian Nation: http://www.asian-nation.org/doctors.shtml

When this happens even more stress is place on the woman to succeed.

Thanks

And when God made women, he worried...'how am i going to explain this to Paul' -_-
    Never hit someone below the belt; for you are not the creator.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trangam For This Useful Post:

khonrai (07-05-14), mikeheart (07-05-14)

Thanks

Hi Susana,
    This reminds me of an article in The bangkok post about Thai females and skin whitening. The research found Thai females avoiding sunlight (afraid of becomming dark) and using whitening cream are unhealthy because sunlight provides vitamin D which our bodies need.
    There was also a TV program (Dutch) which shows the use of skin whitening cream made by
    Unilever and used by females in India.In Europe, sun tan cream/ spray is widely available and
    predominantly used by Causians whlile laying in the sun to get a nice tan.I also watched an
    American on Belgian TV who compained about Americans '' chopping themselves up and taking out this and putting that'' so to speak.I think its all about appearance and not about
    beauty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Susana View Post
    Neither Thai women nor Thai cultural views were mentioned here, yet I think it is still an interesting topic. I hope some Thai women will respond. Men too, of course.

This topic has been discussed in my family many times, usually coming about accidentally. I know many Thai women have cosmetically altered their looks so that they will appear more western, and skin whitening cremes are an important part of 'skin care'. I use the term loosely since most or all of those cremes are not healthy.

While reading this article I drew similarities with my own southern culture. Beauty was not expected of me personally, except for beauty within, but I refer to the docile and obedient aspect, being a "good girl", a 'lady'. But I digress.

I hope you will all find this interesting enough for discussion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adora-...0054&ir=Impact

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rijmond For This Useful Post:

Susana (07-05-14)

Thanks

If woman think they will be more romantically successful by looking a small fraction better, then there having them selves on. Woman would achieve more by working on there personality. The most successful woman romantically are the ones who have the guts, to ask men out. Go for it girls, the ones who wait miss out.

Thanks

Hi Paul,
    You remind of a co~ worker ( Dutch Causian).He always told me that any woman in a relation
    with him must pay there way because he will never spend a dime on her.His girlfriends were
    all Dutch Causians and every time I called him, he would tell that the relationship is over. I
    told him that if does not change his attitude towards women, he would wind up old,alone in a
    nut house and some stranger will inherit all his cash and belongings.
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_au View Post
    I definitely preffer the lighter colour Asians, give all other things are equal. But That would only count for 5% of there look factor. A cute face, would count for 30%, a slim body in good shape would count for 35% and very smooth evenly toned skin would count for another 30%.
    I don't care about there hair, unless they spend too much money on there hair, which turns me off, I don't like high maintainance woman. If they start wearing those stupid high heal shoes, or high fashion clothing, that is also a turn off.
    Plastic surgery is also a turn off for me. If there that vein they think they need plastic surgery to impress me, I would not want them. I preffer a natural look, keep fit and healthy, look after there skin by staying out of the sun & to for them to ignore all those models in the fashion magazines. Miranda Kerr is a turn off, just another greedy high maintenance woman after rich men to take care of her because she is to selfish to pay her own way while dating, even though she is worth millions.
    If a woman don't pull her weight financially, than I don't care if they were the best looking woman in the world, I would be showing them the door, I would not want them to waist my time.

Thanks

The above article, from Huffington Post, came through on my facebook news feed. I shared it with one young Asian woman (leuk kreung) who is proud of her Asian heritage, and also her ability to make her own choices. Her response? Whatever color you are genetically predisposed to have is the one which will make you beautiful.

For some reason many people from all parts of the world are deficient in vitamin D. Twenty minutes a day in the sun is supposed to be healthy. I've also read that the sun rays need to enter through the eyes. I find it especially interesting that there are so many people with darker skin who are vitamin D deficient.

Here is another article I found which explains this better than I could:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...-d-levels.aspx
    Last edited by Susana; 07-05-14 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

I remembered the discussion about beauty and color of the skin when I learned that Lupita Nyong'o bagged the title of "The Most Beautiful Woman" in 2014 by People. This is a weekly American magazine (published by Time, Inc.) that boasts of having the biggest audience of any American audience with its readership of 46.6 million. Lupita is dark-skinned. And for her to be named as such is, I think, a significant phase in the evolution of the universal concept of what is beautiful.

Lupita won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in the historical drama 12 Years A Slave (2013), which was also chosen as Best Picture. In a luncheon tendered in her honor, she delivered a powerful speech on racism and Western perceptions of beauty which, I believe, people who worry about their skin color, should be mindful of.

In the next post is part of her beautiful speech (with my favorite parts in bold letters).
    Last edited by Marie; 22-06-14 at 06:35 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

misterA (22-06-14), Susana (22-06-14)

Thread Information