PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Mother's Day: Memories of Your Mother
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Mother's Day: Memories of Your Mother

The second Sunday in May is Mother's Day here in the U.S.A., and I know many other countries celebrate their own Mother's Day. It's a good time to show your mom how much you appreciate her, and a good time to reflect on memories whether or not you have a particular day set aside.

Do you have a story to share about your mother? Do you want to tell us what you appreciate now that you are an adult and have had time to reflect on your childhood? Anything, funny, sweet, sad. It's your chance to pay tribute.

My mom? Her patience. She was always so patient and attentive. I just don't know how she did it.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

djaidee (13-05-14), Mahindrasarath (10-05-14), Marie (10-05-14), Nu (12-05-14)

Thanks

Re: Mother's Day: Memories of Your Mother

This will be the second Mother's Day, with out my mother. She was a very good woman.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

djaidee (13-05-14), Mahindrasarath (10-05-14), Susana (10-05-14)

Thanks

My mother she has patient and tolerances, whatever she done just for her children to survive. Without her i would be in difficult times today, she always been supporting to her children a lot.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mahindrasarath For This Useful Post:

djaidee (13-05-14), Nu (12-05-14), Susana (10-05-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 638 Posts

I miss my mum. She left too soon.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to guava For This Useful Post:

djaidee (13-05-14), Khun Don (11-05-14), Nu (12-05-14), Susana (11-05-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

I credit my mother for having taught us one very valuable lesson in life: “Manage your envy”. As children it’s very hard to understand the feeling of being envious and, much less, how to control it. But she would always say, “OK, she has that nice doll, but you have nice shoes, nice sweater, nice book, and…” Sometimes she would deliberately make the list of beautiful things you had so lengthy (even repeating some items) that you would forget the original source of your unhappiness.

Admittedly, the idea of “ Don’t mind what others have, focus on and treasure what you have” couldn’t be quickly imbibed when you’re kids and immature; but as you grew up, it got inevitably ingrained in your psyche and helped you easily recognize envy when it set in. Then it also became less difficult to combat it before it started to destroy you.

Now it is my turn, though I don’t have kids of my own, to teach younger people in my family this important lesson. The other day my nephew started a brawl with his playmate, and I sensed that the underlying reason was he was envious of the other boy’s new toy. My mother’s style quickly came to mind and I instinctively used it to appease my distraught nephew. But I realized how hard it was to do it, as the young boy obviously continued to be engulfed with jealousy.

I am not sure if I could do it as effectively as my mother did, but I am determined to pass on to the younger generation in my family a unique legacy which she has left us.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

djaidee (13-05-14), Nu (12-05-14), Susana (11-05-14)

Thanks

Hi Susana,
    Best wishes to you and all moms. My mom passed away but I still cherish the things she taught me.Today is mothers day in The Netherlands. My wife prepared some goodies and took
    it to her moms home. I'll join the others later for dinner. I think its good to show you care and it doesnt have be expensive. A simple guesture is enough.
    Critics in The Netherlands argued that mothers' day is an invention by the business commuinty to increase their profits which to a certain extent is true becuse more flowers,wine(white), perfume etc. are sold during that period.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rijmond For This Useful Post:

djaidee (13-05-14), Nu (12-05-14), Susana (12-05-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

In my country, Wales, Mother's Day has been some time ago. We celebrate it on the fourth Sunday in Lent.

I can't bring to mind any good stories about my mother, I'm sure there were, but from an early age I went to boarding school and following that boarding college. When I finished that and started living properly at home my mother was already suffering with cancer and died with 18 months.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David_Loves_Ubonwan For This Useful Post:

djaidee (13-05-14), Nu (12-05-14), Susana (12-05-14)

Thanks

Hi

I have many fond memories of my mother too many and she made me who I am today.
    But i will always remember the last word she said to me.

My Mom and dad passed away at 90 and 91 6 weeks apart
    Dad would not allow Mom to be put in a home and took care of her himself until the last 3 months

Mom had alsheimers the last 15 to 20 years of her life. sometimes she would know you other times not or she would think I was back in high school
    I had went back home for my dads funeral the last day as i was leaving i stopped by the home to say goodbye to mom. since dads passing she had gotten worse and didn't remember anyone'

she was setting in a chair in the day room with the other patients I walked up to Mom, the nurse nearby asked mom if she knew who I was. Moms words were
    " of course I do silly that's my son Ray
    came to vist me from Boise"

then Mom said she was sleepy closed her eyes and went to sleep.

I miss you Mom

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to khonrai For This Useful Post:

djaidee (13-05-14), kelwts (13-05-14), Nu (12-05-14), Susana (12-05-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,528 Times in 464 Posts

For myself likewise David I can't think of any real happy times for my dearly departed Mum apart from when I took over the burden of the bills when I got my first job leaving school all those many years ago. Her life was a constant struggle to keep a roof over our heads and at least I think I managed to ease her troubles when I got that first job. Dad died when I was three years old and when I was twenty one years old I nursed my Mum through her last six months of her life, cancer took both my parents. Loved them both to bits and still do although I can never remember my Dad, I was to young. I guess my life is a little back to front, when I was young I very quickly had to become an adult and take responsibility, now I am nearing my latter years I feel carefree and like a teenager, funny thing is life!

Billy.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to billyboy For This Useful Post:

David_Loves_Ubonwan (12-05-14), djaidee (13-05-14), kelwts (13-05-14), Marie (12-05-14), Nu (12-05-14), RickThai (31-07-14), Susana (12-05-14)

Thanks

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of fond memories about my mother. She was very emotional (probably considered bipolar today) and beat me and my brothers quite a bit. My dad loved her dearly though. She died rather early at age 54 and I always felt guilty that I never once cried for her. I do hope that she has found peace.

RickThai

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RickThai For This Useful Post:

Susana (31-07-14)

Thread Information