PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Is there adequate coverage where you live of the current events in Thailand
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Is there adequate coverage where you live of the current events in Thailand

I have been frustrated many times because of news coverage in general, and especially the events in Thailand. Or should I say the lack of coverage of events in Thailand. There will be no news at all on the major networks, then suddenly they try to sum it up in 2-3 minutes. Yesterday was a prime example of that, after the announcement of martial law.

I listen to Al Jazeera America during the day sometimes. I consider them to be very reliable, but I've been disappointed that there has been no in depth reporting of the current situation, even when there is less urgent news being reported from surrounding countries. But of course, I do not listen round the clock so I may have missed something.

I also listen to CNN & MSNBC, and when in my car traveling I listen to NPR.

The best and most coverage is right here on this forum. The question I am asking you, however, is about the coverage in your home country, or even in the mainstream Thai media. What do you think?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Is there adequate coverage where you live of the current events in Thailand

I live in Thailand. Because of martial law, I am being told everything that I need to know.
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

Susana (21-05-14)

Thanks

Then you must be completely satisfied!

Thanks

My darling Jintana & Khun Don are providing Me with all the info I need.
    Ignoring the armchair comments on another Thai Forum, is also another source.
    Also, not forgetting https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow

Jintanas news today ... "OMG ... I wait 40 minutes to get home on the bus" !!! (normaly a 10 minute journey; Pathumthani/Rangsit Road to Bangpood)

Minimal interest here in Ireland has Thai situation near the end of news programs. Only mentioned this week because of Martial Law.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homejames For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (22-05-14), Susana (22-05-14)

Thanks

Thanks James. I'm glad Jintana is not having a difficult time. These things happen in Thailand and people must go about their business as usual.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

homejames (23-05-14), Khun Don (22-05-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homejames View Post
    Ignoring the armchair comments on another Thai Forum, is also another source.
    Not just the Thai Forums where you find the "armchair experts"-read one post yesterday in a national newspaper to the effect that Thailand is not ready for democracy as a great many Thais are totally illiterate and all such sell their votes.

Literacy in Thailand is over 90%.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

billk (23-05-14), homejames (23-05-14), Susana (22-05-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

... a great many Thais are totally illiterate and all such sell their votes.
    But, isn't this what this opposition campaign is based upon?
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

Thanks

I guess because so many Australians tourists travel to Thailand for holidays, there is significant coverage of events there, compared with many other countries. Currently there are travel warnings on the news about Thailand. I guess any time a conflict happens, the Australian government issues warnings through the news networks, advising people either not to go or to take exstream precautions if going. Personally, I would still go despite the warnings.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

Susana (22-05-14)

Thanks

Hi

News is a money making business if the demographics don't match up in your area to warrant coverage then you will get nothing

and most news wants tragic or castatrophics events to push rateings.

you can read the Bangkok Post on line it is in English to get a feel of day to day events
    but even on the local news it is a small percentage of daly news coverage.
    so unless you have a large base of asians or war breaks out you probably won't see anything.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to khonrai For This Useful Post:

Susana (22-05-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

Hi Susana,

Very good coverage of events on the BBC world news channel.
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

17. The Following User Says Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Susana (23-05-14)

Thread Information