PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Urgent: Thai authorities to build state-owned internet gateway for more efficient censorship
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Thai authorities to build state-owned internet gateway for more efficient censorship

Thai authorities to build state-owned internet gateway for more efficient censorship
    Wed, 28/05/2014 - 09:51 | by prachatai

The Ministry of Information and Communication Technology (MICT) has blocked 219 websites which are deemed threats to “national security” according to an order of the military junta and it will ask Facebook, YouTube and Line, a chat application, to ban some user accounts which disseminate “illegal” content, Surachai Srisakam, Permanent Secretary of the MICT, told media on Tuesday.

The MICT is also drafting a plan to build a national internet gateway so that censorship measures can be applied by the state more efficiently. The plan is to make CAT and TOT, both state-owned telecommunication companies, responsible for the gateway. The plan will be completed within one to two months, he added.

Moreover, he said the Ministry has applied stricter measures to “regulate” the internet and social networks. Two working groups have been set up to carry out this task.

The first group is assigned to monitor and analyse information on the internet, especially social media. If the group detects violations of the military junta’s orders, it will block dissemination of that information. The Intelligence Group of the police’s Technology Crime Suppression Division and the Immigration Police are responsible for this task.

The second working group oversees investigation and crime suppression. It has the authority to investigate and arrest people who disseminate “illegal information.” Representatives from the Army will work alongside the police from the Technology Crime Suppression Division.

PRACHATAI

Thanks

Re: Thai authorities to build state-owned internet gateway for more efficient censors

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow 4pm Although some ISPs in #Thailand are allowing people to open Facebook, many say they cannot access it. Both on the web & apps #ThaiCo

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow 3:50pm I can only open Facebook when I turn on my VPN. Are the junta really blocking it? #ThaiCoup #Thailand pic.twitter.com/Ft0tbrG0xb

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow Possible they are blocking Facebook for a short time just to show everyone in #Thailand they can do it. A show of strength by the junta.

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow 3:50pm I can only open Facebook when I turn on my VPN. Are the junta really blocking it? #ThaiCoup #Thailand pic.twitter.com/Ft0tbrG0xb
    Last edited by Khun Don; 28-05-14 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks

Re: Thai authorities to build state-owned internet gateway for more efficient censors

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow It’s official. Facebook is now BLOCKED in #Thailand - RT @SpringNews_TV: »ÅÑ´äÍ«Õ·Õ à¼Â »Ô´à¿«ºØê¡·ÑèÇ»ÃÐà·Èà»ç¹ÃÐÂÐ pic.twitter.com/fDweRTVUO

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow Check my tweet from earlier of how to get a VPN on your smartphone/tablet for free for 6 months: https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/status/471533578564943873 … #Thailand #ThaiCoup

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow The guys at @FreedomeVPN want to help people in #Thailand. New users get 6 months free. Promo code: “david” http://freedome.f-secure.com/vip/index.html?ccid=cc1144 … #ThaiCoup

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow If you are have Chrome browser, you can download their free plugin which you can use to open Facebook in #Thailand http://hola.org/?referrer_uid=basic/richardpaknam@gmail.com&medium=manual&ref=premium …

Last edited by Khun Don; 28-05-14 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow 4:40pm Panic over. Facebook is now back in #Thailand. Either a glitch or a show of strength by the junta. Thank god for VPN.

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow At least we had a dry run to test out our VPN providers. Mine worked a dream so I am ready for the big social media shutdown in #Thailand.
    Last edited by Khun Don; 28-05-14 at 05:01 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow Life in #Thailand - MT @Coalporter: Thailand's Military Junta interrupts programming for TV announcement that Facebook is back to normal!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    Wed, 28/05/2014 - 09:51 | by prachatai

The MICT is also drafting a plan to build a national internet gateway so that censorship measures can be applied by the state more efficiently. The plan is to make CAT and TOT, both state-owned telecommunication companies, responsible for the gateway. The plan will be completed within one to two months, he added.

PRACHATAI
    Seems like they plan on being in control for quite some time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Very democratic of them to block free speech.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

And how should we take this in this forum? I am concerned.

---------------------------------------
    Richard Barrow @RichardBarrow

From @BangkokPundit: "It is clearly not the best time for critical blogging". People posting on forums & social media should also take note.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Khun Don (28-05-14), Susana (28-05-14)

Thanks

If you get censorship, then their are some ways to prevent to get blocked websites.
    Use TOR, or use I2P and host your website as I2P eepsite.
    Tor & I2p are also for Android (but I2P on Android is in beta testing).

Or try to use a JAP proxy server. If you want a uncensored portal, use Osiris. (idea: Thailandqa mirror on Osiris?)

Thread Information