PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Your first trip to Thailand
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,211 Times in 1,966 Posts

Your first trip to Thailand

I was thinking about comfort zones and different ways of stepping outside of our usual selves and doing something different and unusual. This led me to think of travel as a way of stepping outside of ones comfort zone.

How about your first trip to Thailand? Was it something you did completely out of the blue (after a bit of planning of course)? Did you come alone or with someone else?

Were you completely at ease, or were you apprehensive?

I think nearly everyone knows my story, so I'll be brief. I married a young man from Thailand whom I met when we were both students. I was apprehensive about meeting his family, but they were welcoming. My father-in-law took me under his wing and made sure I was always secure and comfortable. Still, I was nervous at first about going out on my own and had to force myself to take that first bus ride to work, and go to the market on my own, as well as take many other baby steps into a strange environment.

Nuff said! How about you? Did you first come to Thailand on your own? What brought you? Were you immediately comfortable? Please share your story.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

billk (02-06-14), fileeep (04-06-14), Marie (01-06-14), RickThai (18-07-14), taszmaniac (01-06-14), yy (01-06-14)

Thanks

Re: Your first trip to Thailand

First time to Thailand for me was for lasik eye surgery at Bumrungrad and I stayed on for an extra couple of weeks break in Chiang Mai. I came by myself and I loved the freedom of travelling solo. I was comfortable, I like being prepared so had read up heaps (particularly what to watch out for) and had learnt (learned?) a couple of words, hello, thank you, etc type of words.

I had originally discounted coming to Thailand for the surgery, but after chatting with my brother about standard of medical care etc I thought why not, it was still much cheaper to travel to Thailand, surgery costs, accommodation, two weeks holiday than it was to have the surgery in my home town.

I have been another three times since then ( mostly Chiang Mai and Hua Hin), each time by myself, my partner he got to stay home and look after the dog Actually our work commitments mean we can't take major holiday time together.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taszmaniac For This Useful Post:

fileeep (04-06-14), Susana (01-06-14)

Thanks

Well, I had been to Bangkok Airport transit longe on several occasions on my way to London. The first time was in 1993. The first time I actually left the boundary of the airport was in 2002, when I travelled alone to meet my then online girlfriend in Samut Prakan. Was I nervous, well yes, I virtually had little planning, just went on the sper of the moment & apart from knowing the capital Bangkok, I had little knowledge of the country.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to paul_au For This Useful Post:

Susana (01-06-14)

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Thinking back, the naivety of my 1st trip was such a laugh. It was over a decade ago and I was a wide-eyed 18yo teenager very much in love with my then-love-of-my-life who wanted to get his very 1st sak yant tattoo from Wat Bangpra. So off we went to Wat Bangpra, after we had both been fed with endless awe-inspiring stories about the power of bullet-proof amulets and clairvoyant mystical monks in magical Thailand!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

fileeep (04-06-14), Susana (01-06-14)

Thanks

My first trip to Thailand was to do reconstruction work, five months after the tsunami. I'd been vaguely intending to go on a climbing safari for years and never quite taken the final step of buying the ticket.
    I had a two night stop over in KL on the way there, where I had to extract myself from the clutches of tourist scammers without actually swearing at them as soon as i walked out the hotel door on the first morning. I basically found KL a bit unpleasant, after that initial bit of unpleasantness. (I'd also got off on the wrong foot on my only previous O/S trip to UK/ europe in '89, having arrived with recrudescent 'flu : ( How you start a trip can be really important I think.)
    I arrived at Phuket airport feeling apprehensive, the heat hit me like a sledgehammer and I couldn't get anyone to take me to the bus station. But once I got on the bus up to Phang Nga Province, the magic started to work on me. The rest of that first trip was perfect and I have been back another four times since.
    You can read blogs about Thailand at - www.Thai-Blogs.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to billk For This Useful Post:

Susana (02-06-14)

Thanks

One thing strikes me about some of our posts: Even though Thai people, Thai culture has united us in love, our love for Thailand has still remained although that part of us is long history.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

fileeep (04-06-14), Susana (02-06-14)

Thanks

I will never forget that first step off the plane at Don Muang. In those days there wasn't a tunnel from the plane into the airport. The heat was as Billk has said, "like a sledgehammer". And there was also a very bad smell. It was April and all senses were on alert!

At that point in my life I had never lived in a home with air conditioning, but neither had I experienced heat so intense. I was working on becoming accustomed when several weeks later I came home from work to find my bedroom had been fitted with an air conditioner. Aaahhhhh . . .

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

billk (03-06-14), yy (02-06-14)

Thanks

Susana I must admit I think of you as being a very brave lover who must also have loved this man very dearly. To actually marry someone from a country you have never been before AND relocate to such a foreign country away from everything near and dear to you just to be with this one man. Not forgetting that all these were before the advent of computers and internet when one might easily and conveniently learn in advance much about the new culture, new country one is soon to make a home out of.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Marie (03-06-14)

Thanks

And I just shake my head in wonder and say to myself: "What was I thinking?"
    But maybe back then I truly was a romantic.

Maybe:
    "We thought we could change this world
    With words like 'Love' and 'Freedom'
    We were part of the lonely crowd
    Inside the Sad Cafe"
    The Eagles

http://www.songlyrics.com/eagles/the-sad-cafe-lyrics/

One of my favorite songs.
    Last edited by Susana; 02-06-14 at 08:20 PM. Reason: correction

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (03-06-14), yy (02-06-14)

Thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Susana (02-06-14)

Thread Information