Thanks
    Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,919 Posts

Kai/Gai Yang Khamin recipe from Leela Punyaratabandhu of shesimmers.com

www.shesimmers.com is my favorite go to place for Thai food recipes, but lately Andrea, blogger at www.VietWorldKitchen.com has taken up the case for Leela Punyaratabandhu's Kai yang recipe.

The recipe is included in Leela's first book "Simple Thai Food: Classic Recipes from the Thai Home Kitchen" which you can purchase from Amazon, or follow this link for a free version:http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog...n-recipe-.html

Link to purchase the book: http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Thai-Fo.../dp/1607745232

When I first saw this recipe I was reminded of my favorite Kai Yang which we often purchased from a restaurant on Rajshavidhee Rd. Actually, after my father-in-law saw how much I liked it he bought it several nights in a row. This slowly tapered off to once a week or so. I was teaching afternoon and evenings so I was glad to not worry about an evening meal. The restaurant served it with Sweet Chili Sauce. Sorry, I can't spell the name of the restaurant, but it still exists on the left after you cross over Saphan Sanghee (Krungthon Bridge) into Thonburi. I hope you can go there sometime.

Although the recipe link is above, I'm hoping to entice you my listing some of the ingredients. A mortal and pestle or small food processor is involved in the making of this.

Spices used: peppercorns, coriander, tumeric, garlic, cilantro stems, along with fish sauce and oyster sauce are used to make the marinade.

Happy grilling! And even happier eating!

If you are vegetarian or vegan I think you could easily use the marinade with tofu.

I wonder, what would you serve with gai yang and rice?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (06-06-14), Nu (06-06-14)

Thanks

blushing Re: Kai/Gai Yang Khamin recipe from Leela Punyaratabandhu of shesimmers.com

Thanks Susana for posting this. I have forgotten this delectable chicken that I had enjoyed countless of times while traveling by overnight train from my hometown in the south to Bangkok. There were many kinds of food offering for sale at the stations along the route, one of which was this chicken. Your post brings back fond memories. I can still remember this chicken was at the stations around the province of Pattani. It was grilled skewed with flat bamboo sticks, arranged in a round enamel tray with colorful flower pattern. Lady sellers would carry the tray on their heads and when the train came to the station they would be calling out their offering along the open windows of the passenger carriages. It was mid afternoon when the train reached this station and the travelers were ready for some snack. Oh my...I am back in the past.

In those days, we ate the chicken in the train without rice or any accompaniment but I can imagine you can eat this chicken with sticky rice and fresh cucumber pickles, the kind that usually served with satay. It is good either way.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nu For This Useful Post:

Marie (07-06-14), Susana (07-06-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,919 Posts

Re: Kai/Gai Yang Khamin recipe from Leela Punyaratabandhu of shesimmers.com

Thanks, Nu, for sharing your story. I have never taken a train ride in Thailand, and your experience makes me want to even more. I also had good memories as I was writing it.

I think this recipe will be easy to make and I may make it for a family gathering soon.

Thread Information