PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My Travel Story: Hellfire Pass, Kanchanaburi. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Re: Hellfire Pass, Kanchanaburi.

Quote Originally Posted by fileeep View Post
    Comfortable shoes are a must Marie, the track through Hell Fire Pass is flat but it is covered in a course crushed rock and you end up walking on a lot of the edges of these rocks, some will even move under foot, wearing thongs (flip flops) or sandals would be very hard and painful on your feet, mainly because of the their light weight thin sole design but a good quality pair of sport shoes would be fine.
    Fil, I am thinking of wearing this pair http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-shap...s2-lite/426631 Do you think they can withstand the rigors of trekking in that kind of terrain?
    They are equipped with 1 3/4 inch midsole support and high durable abrasion rubber traction outsole. Good enough? :-)

Next time in Kanchanaburi, I too will want to seek out the house occupied by Boonpong Sirivejabhandu during World War II, at 96 Pak Prak Road.
    If you happen to trace this house, please take a photo and post it here, and also provide a direction on how to get there.
    It is good to linger longer........and don't leave out a kayak down the river Kwai on your list of things to do in Kanchanaburi....
    Ahhh yes, a kayak ride! But are the floats available only during full moon? Other details will be highly appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

fileeep (30-07-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2768wixa.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	262.2 KB 
ID:	20233 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2705wix.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	20232
    As with the Dawn Service, the (now former) Australian Governor General was present at the mid-morning service, her Excellency the Honorable Quentin Bryce.

Name:	_MG_2703wix.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	20235 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2699wix.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	20234
    Special Guests.

Name:	_MG_2737zza.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	255.6 KB 
ID:	20236 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2782wix.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	258.3 KB 
ID:	20237
    I was very pleased to see my old High School had sent a Wreath to Kanchanaburi for ANZAC Day
    Last edited by Marie; 30-07-14 at 07:35 PM. Reason: fixed typo error/per request of Fileeep
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now. ”
    - Chinese Proverb

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

billyboy (30-07-14), Marie (30-07-14), misterA (30-07-14), Susana (30-07-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Fil, I am thinking of wearing this pair http://www.shoebuy.com/skechers-shap...s2-lite/426631 Do you think they can withstand the rigors of trekking in that kind of terrain?
    They are equipped with 1 3/4 inch midsole support and high durable abrasion rubber traction outsole. Good enough? :-)
    Wow Marie, this is the footwear I have been looking for all my life….in the description they say they have Vegetarian friendly design, with a 5 out of 5 on the burn meter for intense fitness effect, offers an intense calorie burning fitness effect and a Kinetic wedge (provided) increases instability for fitness effect, not sure if that is a good thing…but sure sounds like they will do the job just nicely and you may have found the most stylish footwear in the world….

And yes, once I track down that address of Boonpong Sirivejabhandu at 96 Pak Prak Road, Kanchanaburi, I will post photos with directions....

With the kayaking down the river Kwai, there is 3 trips.....

A Breakfast Float...here... http://www.kanchanaburifloating.com/...st-float/c161y

A Dinner Float..... http://www.kanchanaburifloating.com/...er-float/c1tpf

And the Full Moon Float.... http://www.kanchanaburifloating.com/#!about1/c137f this can be done at midnight (the best) or starting at around 7pm. Depending on the height of the river, the 7pm start will get you back in Kanchanaburi around 10pm and at this time most places are still open, so you can still go out for a bite to eat and talk about the Float........and dance till dawn...
    Last edited by Marie; 30-07-14 at 09:19 PM. Reason: fixed typo error per request of Fileeep
    - Chinese Proverb

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

billyboy (31-07-14), Khun Don (31-07-14), Marie (30-07-14)

Thanks

Hi Fileeep ,thank you very for this post. I think without doubt this one of the best post I've read so far since being a member here.
    Its chronological, detailed ,very interesting and learning. As others have mentioned how lucky they are to be in the place and era where they are, the same goes for me. Your post revealed not only Japanese brutality to PWO's and ordinary laborers but how ugly wars are.
    As a construction worker with all safety and union to oversee and protect my well-being, the contrast couldn't be bigger. Two examples: I was working on 24th floor and the building inspector said '' put on your safety belt now or leave the building'. I was cutting steel with a grinder without goggles and again the inspector turned off the electricity and said,'' you only have two eyes''.We have breakfast, coffee, and lunch pauses during our working day. I wish those guys had the same but unfortunately they did not.
    This makes it very controversial to visit these places with the thought that they were built with slave labor but still a vivid reminder for us ,i.e. how fortunate we are. One again thank you very much.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rijmond For This Useful Post:

billyboy (31-07-14), fileeep (30-07-14), Khun Don (30-07-14), Marie (30-07-14), mikeheart (31-07-14), misterA (30-07-14), Susana (31-07-14)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fileeep View Post
    Wow Marie, this is the footwear I have been looking for all my life….in the description they say they have Vegetarian friendly design, with a 5 out of 5 on the burn meter for intense fitness effect, offers an intense calorie burning fitness effect and a Kinetic wedge (provided) increases instability for fitness effect, not sure if that is a good thing…but sure sounds like they will do the job just nicely and you may have found the most stylish footwear in the world….
    Mind you, I don't speak this language. Too difficult for me. I can’t imagine how a certain shoe design can be " Vegetarian friendly". But about the term "increases instability for fitness effect", my guess is it refers to the rocking motion achieved as you walk. And that is supposed to stimulate blood circulation, and helps to burn calories. My old shape-up pair does this.

These shoes are chiropodistically designed so that the balls and the heels of the feet are properly supported, and there’s no strain felt on the legs and feet even for long hours of standing or walking (not sure about the effect on running). In fact this footgear was prescribed by a podiatrist to my colleague, who passed on the recommendation to us. I got my first shape-ups (with open toes and feminine style, not the sporty type like the one on the picture) about 4 years ago--and they are still sturdy! But of course I never use them during rainy days to prolong their life. Then early this year Skechers went on a big sale, and this exact style, but different color, was offered with a 50 % price slash! Needless to say, I grabbed a pair.

But I agree this featured design is quite stylish. And having in mind my prospective Kanchanaburi expedition, I am sure a pair will soon grace my shoe racks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

fileeep (01-08-14)

Thanks

The Mid-morning service goes for about an hour and a half, this is also very moving. April is one of the hottest months in Kanchanaburi, so best to bring along some sun protection, at least a hat, there is temporary cover provided during the service but this is limited, a good idea to get there early if you want to keep out of the sun.

After it is all over, a BBQ and snack food is provided along with wine, beer and soft drinks...and it is all free, compliments of either the Australian or New Zealand Government, they take turns, year about...

Name:	_MG_2796z.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	20255 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2792z.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	20254

Name:	_MG_2795wix.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	218.7 KB 
ID:	20253 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_2790wixa.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	20252

After this, you can stroll back into the tourist area along River Kwai Road and watch the ANZAC Day Australian Rules Football game between Collingwood and Essendon.

Collingwood and Essendon, ANZAC Day.
    Last edited by Marie; 06-08-14 at 09:42 AM. Reason: fixed typo errors/requested by Fileeep
    - Chinese Proverb

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

billyboy (05-08-14), emu (06-08-14), Khun Don (05-08-14), mikeheart (05-08-14), Susana (05-08-14)

Thanks

I remember my first visit to Kanchaniburi and visiting the war graves. I was a little over 42 years old and Pauline and I had left our 2 children with their grand dad. I was so moved to see the graves so many Australian and New Zealand men of a similar age to me. They had left their families at home like me but never to return. The futility of war but also the necessity to keep freedom. I am just watching the remembrance of the first world war.

Still man wars with man for no other reason than power and control.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mikeheart For This Useful Post:

billyboy (05-08-14), emu (14-01-15), fileeep (05-08-14), Khun Don (05-08-14), Susana (05-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

fileeep (11-08-14), Marie (11-08-14)

Thanks

The rate (2999B) is quite reasonable, considering that it already includes train ride, tour, accommodation, and food for two days. Not trying to compare apples with oranges, I can't help comparing that package deal to watching Siam Niramit which cost about the same price a couple of years back (I remember we paid 3000B per person). Though the amount also covered transport, food, and entrance fee to the theatre, Siam Niramit is only a two-hour show.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

fileeep (15-08-14), Khun Don (14-08-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

It is incredible value by European standards-B2999-US$ 97.50- GBP 57- €71- would not get you anything beyond a moderate hotel room for one night in many places-if that.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khun Don For This Useful Post:

fileeep (15-08-14), Marie (14-08-14)

Thread Information