Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,943 Posts

Basic Thai Curry Paste Recipes

These recipes come from www.ThaiTable.com. The author is Netty Netsuwan, who has access to these recipes through her Thai mother. She understands that sometimes certain items are not available and often gives substitutes.

There are also recipes for various Thai dishes on her website. If you more information or recipes to share, please do so.

Massaman: http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe...an-curry-paste

Red: http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/red-curry-paste

Green: http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/green-curry-paste

Southern Sour: http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe...ur-curry-paste

Yellow: http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaicur...ellowpaste.htm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (06-07-14)

Thanks

Re: Basic Thai Curry Paste Recipes

I've never tried the southern Thai curries, have you? This recipe has turmeric in it. My favorites are green curry and massaman. What is your favorite Thai curry?

I wish it's Thailand, but don't you too? ;)
    Thanks

Today I attended an entry into rains retreat organized by an overseas Thai Buddhist monastery. The Thai devotees made so many yummy dishes of seemingly mainly isaan dishes, including some exotic-looking curries. Makes me so 'homesick' (for want of a better word) for Thailand..!
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...
    - Isaan folksong, from "The Price of a Life" (Onkom, 1997)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Marie (06-07-14), Susana (06-07-14)

Thanks

YY, were there any meatless curries? Can you share with us what you use for protein in your curry?

I use chickpeas, which of course is not Thai, but they do absorb the taste of the curry nicely, just as potatoes do in massaman curry.

Thanks

555 I used lentils which is not thai too ^^. However when I was down in luang prabang early this year, the lao/thai vegetarian curry would usually have oyster mushroom, small eggplants (the size of cherry tomatoes) n sometimes bamboo shoots.
    Sleep, little one, close your eyes, mother will sing you a lullaby... Sleep in a jewel cradle, sleep, mother will rock you.
    If you don't sleep the midges will go for your eyes and pollen will fall on the cradle....Sleep, close your eyes...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to yy For This Useful Post:

Susana (06-01-15)

Thanks

Oh yes, lentils! I have them in a variety of colors! Eggplants are a good idea, I need to grow some of the tiny variety next year. I miss being able to get fresh bamboo shoots.

Thanks, YY.

Thanks

Lucky u, I have never had fresh bamboo shoots. Do they look naturally yellow or is the colour from d preservation process?

Thanks

When I say fresh, I mean from the market in Bangkok, lol. I thought they were fresh, but maybe not. I know they have to be processed in some way before eating to avoid poisoning, so maybe I misspoke. Anyway, they were a very pale creamy yellow.

I was thinking one time about growing my own shoots for food, but gave up on the idea. Now I see there is a website on this very topic. Maybe I should give it a second thought.

Here's the link in case anyone is interested.

http://www.bamboofarmingusa.com/Cooking.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

emu (07-07-14)

Thanks

Just came from the local Asian food store where I picked up some coconut milk, bamboo strips, and a can of Green Curry Paste.

I am making gaeng keal wan gai for dinner tonight. I miss the fresshly-made green curry paste you find in the Thai markets, but the canned stuff works fairly well (if anything it is more consistent in heat and flavor than the locally-made pastes).

I like Thai eggplants in my curry, but my wife prefers bamboo strips. One of these days I will surprise her and throw in some water chestnuts (which I love) and some palm sugar (I generally don't put anything sweet into my gaeng keal wan - so it is not really wan at all).

This is the only Thai dish that I can make that tastes good enough that my wife can enjoy it!

RickThai

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RickThai For This Useful Post:

emu (07-01-15), Susana (10-07-14)

Thanks

I went to a Thai restaurant this past weekend. I had been there before and left disappointed with the tom yum I had ordered. It tasted like they may have used a seasoning packet rather than actual broth. MSG is NOT my friend. Anyway K wanted me to try it again so I decided I would just not order soup this time.

When I saw pork Rad Na on the menu I realized it was a one time favorite of mine, which I had forgotten the name of. We used to walk to a restaurant on Charoensanitwong nearly every Saturday where it was a specialty.

Have you tried it? Where in Thailand or abroad is there a good place to eat rad na?

In case you want to make it at home, here is a recipe from ThaiTable.com: http://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/rad-na

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susana For This Useful Post:

Marie (09-01-15), oeshidez (19-01-15)

Thread Information