Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Common Core Math in U.S.A. Schools

Hi

Common core is not a new way to do math it is Just a tecnique or system to teach a beginer or new learner, How would you teach a 6 to 8 year old math? with a big stick saying learn learn learn or give them the tools to think and understand.
    We still teach borrow and carry that will never change .plus lots of drilling and work sheets.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to khonrai For This Useful Post:

Susana (08-09-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,130 Posts

You completely seem to miss, or avoid, my point.

How does this method "explain" anything. It seems, at least to me, to be a very convoluted method to a simple subtraction problem.

Were you a career teacher in the States?
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

wilma (30-10-14)

Thanks

Hi

Yes it is a convoluted method to a simple subtraction problem which as an adult you would never use
    I don't use it.

you seem to miss that this just a teaching method not a new way of doing math
    it is only dealing with place values and how they relate to traditional addition and subtraction
    it is not trying to re-invent mathematics

how would you teach a 6 yr old the value of 3 in 234.? explain to me. if you have a better way I will be more than happy to use it.

Thanks

The "old way", but not the "big stick learn learn learn" way, would explain the 3 as 3 "tens", the 4 as 4 "ones" and the 2 as 2 "hundreds". That isn't different. The values stay the same and the concept is easily grasped.

Now, once again, please explain to us how this new method makes it easier to grasp. Show us your stuff!

And, once again, were you a career teacher in the States?
    "Repudiate bullshit wherever you find it. Reason is worth standing up for." - Peter Boghossian

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Curt For This Useful Post:

wilma (30-10-14)

Thanks

Hi

No I was not a career teacher. I was self employed building contractor dealing in exact measurments
    in new home remodles and fine cabenitry until Dumbya Bush ruined the economy . How long have you been out of school? when was the last time you helped a 6 year old with their math homework?

I feel like I am talking to a Fox news correspondent who has a fixed agenda and refuse's to see or try anything different or even listen to or understand.

I agree with you totaly. I wonder how you were taught when you were six

here is a simple worksheet again nothing about adding or subtraction only dealing with place values
    http://math4children.com/Grade1/work...lace_value.pdf

Show me how you would explain place value to a 6 year old? I am still waiting

the concept is not easly grasped by 6 year olds they need visualation and repetition.

Thanks

I'm from the "Show Me" state. Someone would have to show me that Common Core anything is better, before I will believe it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterA For This Useful Post:

Susana (09-09-14), wilma (30-10-14)

Thanks

I really wish that you would quit trying to categorize me. This "Fox News" thing you keep using is getting stale.

Ironically, the reason most people don't like Fox News is that their opinion goes against what every other news outlet puts out. And, you keep accusing me of resisting new and different ideas?

BTW, the only time I have ever watched Fox News was years ago, at a friend's house, when i was still living in the States.

My last schooling, in a general education system, was about 1971. At that time, I was still able to maintain a 3.2, without taking work home. Unfortunately, school was interfering with my drinking, so I gave it up.

Since then, I have taken many courses due to the technical nature of my previous employment as a data tester for Pacific Bell, then SBC (Now AT&T). These courses also involved octal decimal and binary numbers. Before you criticize "phone company repair people", I wasn't the clown that answers the phone when one calls the phone company. I was a guy, in the background, working to keep the circuits between offices running. I worked only with other testers from clients such as the FAA.

I still am learning, everyday. I live by my favorite line from Bob Dylan: "He who is not busy being born, is busy dying."

As far as your "Place Value" exercise goes, it is simply a visual of the concept, pretty much an explanation in itself. This appears to be an exercise to aid in explaining it. This would be a good exercise to use.

Now, explain to us what that example has to do with the convoluted process in the original example and how that original example makes the concept easier for a 6 year old to grasp.

Or don't.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,285 Times in 555 Posts

Thank god for calculators...
    The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    - Chinese Proverb

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fileeep For This Useful Post:

Susana (09-09-14), wilma (30-10-14)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Susana;273147]I'm wondering what you think of this new way of doing math.

Hi Susana, your post reminds me of my school days so thanks.
    I do not think anything is wrong with way I did Maths in the late 60s, early 70s. However its 2014 and new teaching methods is not necessarily bad. As such, I think its better to '' go with the flow'', so to speak.
    A bit off topic but just a few examples: 1)
    I learned unit-ten -hundred- thousand-ten thousand- hundred thousand-million. 2) date-month-year e.g. 14-08-2014 and now I often see year/month/
    date and its ok with me. 3) e.g.I would say/write 10th of September 2014 and
    now I hear or read September 10 , 2014 and I'm ok with it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rijmond For This Useful Post:

Susana (10-09-14)

Thanks

@khonrai

You are the teacher. You have said this is a way to explain place values and such - another way of looking at subtraction. You seem to lead us to believe that, in your opinion, it is actually better.

I cut straight A's in all my math classes. Never did any homework. In my 10th grade algebra class, where Mrs Anderson deducted points for missing homework, I was the first and only student to ever come away with an A, sans homework.

I'm not bragging. I am simply pointing out that I have a talent for comprehending math principles. Yet, I can't fathom the principle behind this.

This method is so ridiculous that, had you said FOX News made it up to discredit Common Core, I would probably buy that! But, you have said that you use this method.

Please explain the method. Show us your stuff.

Thread Information